App support lacking on LG G3

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The two apps I can't use, Quickpic and ES File Explorer, are because of Kit Kat, not the G3 itself. All the other apps I used on my LG Optimus G work on this phone, and work faster and look better.

Posted via Android Central App with my LG G3
I downloaded Quickpic.
5asehary.jpg

sent from my LG G3

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Methinks LG should've done something like what Apple does for iPhone apps on the iPad, and added a zoom-ey thingy. So a non-QHD app would work. Ideally, Google would've done that, but LG could too.

Joshua Kirkland1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The PlayStation 3 was being underutilized by 3rd party developers for years before they began to get the hang of the development tools and notice the sales of the machine. I feel like this super screen puts the G3 in that realm. Developers will take notice of it's popularity and start optimizing apps to this screen especially when the Note 4 inevitably comes out with 1 also. Besides this ride may not be the fastest, the sturdiest, the most fuel efficient it's just the coolest. Long live G3!

Posted via Android Central App

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Methinks LG should've done something like what Apple does for iPhone apps on the iPad, and added a zoom-ey thingy. So a non-QHD app would work. Ideally, Google would've done that, but LG could too.

And the apps would have probably looked like crap, just like the apps from the lazy developers who won't update their apps to be optimized for the iPad look. Sure they zoom but they are all fuzzy and pixelated. Facebook is the worst offender. They refuse to optimize their new apps (Mentions, Paper) for iPads.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The only app I've had any issue with is circle launcher, but that's because it relies on a hardware menu key for some functions. I'm hoping the dev will modify it, since I'm sure the G3 is not the only phone that has shed that button...

smitts

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Really missing ESPN Sportcenter as well. Doesn't seem like you can download the app at all. Saw some posts where you can add an alternative early version and someone mentioned you can get it off the Amazon App store. But seems like something that they would work out fairly quickly. I was a little nervous about going to the G3 from the Nexus, particularly about getting 5.0 or Android L someday...Hoping that delays on apps aren't another factor where LG doesn't have the market share and clout to get other parties to move.

I don't miss ESPN at all. Yahoo sports and the score are both faster with the score updates than ESPN, even when the games are on ESPN.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Found another app, The Sims FreePlay.

I just purchased a gaming laptop and think I want Sims 4 but I haven't played in ages and wanted to see if I'd even like it. Thought hey I know a way I can play legally without paying for anything; Sims FreePlay.

Well I can't play so... I had to find other means.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure support will start when other flagship phones start offering QHD. It's just a matter of time.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
And the apps would have probably looked like crap, just like the apps from the lazy developers who won't update their apps to be optimized for the iPad look. Sure they zoom but they are all fuzzy and pixelated. Facebook is the worst offender. They refuse to optimize their new apps (Mentions, Paper) for iPads.

(I know I'm replying weeks later)

I realize it'd look bad, but I may argue it's better to have the app working in some way, than not have it at all. Could even have a disclaimer saying "This app isn't meant for this resolution, so it may look funny", as QHD is just 4x the resolution square, it should translate without border bars afaik.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
(I know I'm replying weeks later)

I realize it'd look bad, but I may argue it's better to have the app working in some way, than not have it at all. Could even have a disclaimer saying "This app isn't meant for this resolution, so it may look funny", as QHD is just 4x the resolution square, it should translate without border bars afaik.

exactly...poor resolution is better than not working. I'm very annoyed. If I knew about the lack of app support....I would not have bought the device. I've gotten many of the apk's sideloaded....and they work just fine. Replies like, "I'm sure the developer will update soon" are not useful at all. How are you so sure? I shouldn't have to wait for an update.....LG should have built in app compatibility. We all bash apple, and for good reason in some cases, but this is where fragmentation of Android screws us. When the apk from my S4 can be sideloaded and works on my g3, why can't I get from google play exactly?

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Starbucks - just read about the update thought I would update but alas it's not showing up in my search results. When I followed link from android central it says not compatible. Very annoying.

Also how do you contact app developer if app doesn't show up on the store to ask the question?

Thx

Angma74

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I just traded "up" I thought from the HTC M8, I'm very disappointed that I cannot access the Starbucks app or the HTC Sense TV app. I am using a G3 on t mobile and I don't know how to "side load" or use the APK----can anyone help so I can load these 2 apps? I need the HTC Sense app as no other IR app I've found will work with my Yamaha receiver.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
ESPN, Amazon, Redbox & others can be downloaded/installed from the Amazon app store. Here's the link to the apk:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/an...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3994008

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Bless this post!

I just got an LG G3 a week ago and have been seeing quite a few incompatibility issues with apps via the Playstore. Was thinking of returning the phone, to be honest, until I saw this post. Tried all the incompatible apps via Amazon app store and they downloaded, no questions asked. Seems the Playstore is a bit judgmental?? :p Thanks for this tip!