How is the LG G3?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So right now im kind of eyeing the LG G3. right now I have a Iphone 5S, but I think I might just want more options and flexibility with android, so im trying to fgiure out whats thebest phone to get right now. (or in the next few months).

So far the G3 looks like one of the best options, but I hear complaints about the screens contrast and brightness. also that the quad HD display causes more battery drain and performance issues than phones like the S5 or M8. Because the batterys removable maybe the battery isnt a issue, but still.

Also, how good is LG usually with updates in comparison to others.

and over all are you happy with the phone and would you buy it again?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Don't like HTC myself. The G3 is fantastic. No issues with mine other than the lock screen weather don't work. This device is running well. I get great battery life but I always charge my phone at night before bed. I never go or attempt too go days without charging. I left my 5s for this and love it. In waiting though to see the note 4 when that releases also.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't like HTC myself. The G3 is fantastic. No issues with mine other than the lock screen weather don't work. This device is running well. I get great battery life but I always charge my phone at night before bed. I never go or attempt too go days without charging. I left my 5s for this and love it. In waiting though to see the note 4 when that releases also.

yeah, im pretty adament about cahrging my phone at night unless I fall asleep listening to musicor something. Do you notice slowdown or lag?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
yeah, im pretty adament about cahrging my phone at night unless I fall asleep listening to musicor something. Do you notice slowdown or lag?
No lag or slowdowns for me. The only problem I had was today. I tried to change my wallpaper but the device wouldn't switch it. It said it did but when I checked my old one was so there. I restarted the phone and then it switched.

Phone even runs great even when connected to my g watch and Bluetooth headphones at the same time. I have no complaints.

PhilR8

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded to it today. I've only had it a few hours so I can't speak to some of the things you asked about, but I did come to Android from a different OS so perhaps my thoughts can be of value.

I came from a Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) that I was actually very happy with until just this past month, when a bunch of different things happened at the same time and really annoyed me. The battery suddenly stopped keeping a decent charge, vibration stopped working, LTE data was inconsistent... anyway, it seemed to age a hundred years in a single moment. It was time to upgrade and unfortunately on AT&T there wasn't a real clear upgrade path for Windows Phone users, so I decided to give Android another shot.

That was the easy decision, though. My wife has the Galaxy S5, and using it once every few days really didn't do anything for me - I just wasn't impressed with any aspect of it. So my real targets were the HTC One M8 and the LG G3. I've spent a lot of time over the past few days reading up on both phones, reading comparisons, trying to see why people prefer one over the other, and I walked away really thinking I would go in to the AT&T store and buy an HTC One M8. Lots of people were saying that both phones were great but the M8 was just a bit faster and just a bit better etc.

I went to the AT&T store and played with the M8 and the G3 side-by-side and my opinion totally changed - the G3 really stood out as a superior device in my eyes. There was no "lag" that people keep talking about. None that I can see, anyway, although I am coming from a 20-month-old Lumia 920. But side-by-side, the G3 and the M8 seemed to be equally speedy. As far as the screen goes, both devices looked nice and I wouldn't have been able to seriously claim that one was better than the other.

Another thing that people were always bringing up when comparing the M8 and the G3 was the "premium" feel of the M8 and the plasticky feel of the G3. That all may be true, but it wasn't a big deal for me, especially since I was going to put a plasticky protective case on whichever device I bought. The G3 felt pretty nice without a case and feels pretty nice with a case - appropriately solid. Coming from a Lumia 920, which is a device that was a TRUE premium feel, with super tight fit and finish and a very pleasant heft that denotes a solid, thoughtfully built device, I was kind of worried about how I would react to the G3... but I shouldn't have been worried because it feels great.

Yet another thing that lots of folks were referencing when comparing the two devices was Sense vs LG's launcher... I just gotta say that I don't like the look of Sense. I don't like the font, the spacing of the letters. They're too narrow and too close together. Nitpicky, I know, but Sense just looked repulsive to me while LG's launcher/thing looked nice, or at least acceptable.

So I've rambled a bit but those are my thoughts after owning the G3 for a few hours and coming from a different OS.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just upgraded to it today. I've only had it a few hours so I can't speak to some of the things you asked about, but I did come to Android from a different OS so perhaps my thoughts can be of value.

I came from a Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) that I was actually very happy with until just this past month, when a bunch of different things happened at the same time and really annoyed me. The battery suddenly stopped keeping a decent charge, vibration stopped working, LTE data was inconsistent... anyway, it seemed to age a hundred years in a single moment. It was time to upgrade and unfortunately on AT&T there wasn't a real clear upgrade path for Windows Phone users, so I decided to give Android another shot.

That was the easy decision, though. My wife has the Galaxy S5, and using it once every few days really didn't do anything for me - I just wasn't impressed with any aspect of it. So my real targets were the HTC One M8 and the LG G3. I've spent a lot of time over the past few days reading up on both phones, reading comparisons, trying to see why people prefer one over the other, and I walked away really thinking I would go in to the AT&T store and buy an HTC One M8. Lots of people were saying that both phones were great but the M8 was just a bit faster and just a bit better etc.

I went to the AT&T store and played with the M8 and the G3 side-by-side and my opinion totally changed - the G3 really stood out as a superior device in my eyes. There was no "lag" that people keep talking about. None that I can see, anyway, although I am coming from a 20-month-old Lumia 920. But side-by-side, the G3 and the M8 seemed to be equally speedy. As far as the screen goes, both devices looked nice and I wouldn't have been able to seriously claim that one was better than the other.

Another thing that people were always bringing up when comparing the M8 and the G3 was the "premium" feel of the M8 and the plasticky feel of the G3. That all may be true, but it wasn't a big deal for me, especially since I was going to put a plasticky protective case on whichever device I bought. The G3 felt pretty nice without a case and feels pretty nice with a case - appropriately solid. Coming from a Lumia 920, which is a device that was a TRUE premium feel, with super tight fit and finish and a very pleasant heft that denotes a solid, thoughtfully built device, I was kind of worried about how I would react to the G3... but I shouldn't have been worried because it feels great.

Yet another thing that lots of folks were referencing when comparing the two devices was Sense vs LG's launcher... I just gotta say that I don't like the look of Sense. I don't like the font, the spacing of the letters. They're too narrow and too close together. Nitpicky, I know, but Sense just looked repulsive to me while LG's launcher/thing looked nice, or at least acceptable.

So I've rambled a bit but those are my thoughts after owning the G3 for a few hours and coming from a different OS.

Thanks for the comparison. I might still consider the M8, but the camera might be a deal breaker just because I hate paying the same price for a 4MP camera when these other cameras have 13 and 16 MP cameras .

Last edited:

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison. I might still consider the M8, but the camera might be a deal breaker just because I hate paying the same price for a 4MP camera when these other cameras have 13 and 16 MP cameras .

The camera was a deal breaker for me when I had the M7. The pictures look fine on the screen but you look at them on a larger screen and they are just way to pixelated to be useful. I don't see M8 fixing that problem. If HTC put a larger camera in it, I'd have that as my phone now

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Just picked up my G3 yesterday, switched from a Galaxy S5. Has an iPhone 5s, M8 and Nexus 5 before - along with a few others... To answer your questions, would I buy it again? Absolutely. Am I happy with it? Very much so. How's LG with updates? About like all the rest for the most part.

Like I said, I got mine yesterday. It had about 40% charge in the battery out of the box. When I got home I was able to charge it for about fifteen minutes before running out for an outing. Used it for Google Maps navigation, plugged in to a car charger, for an hour drive each way. Got back home, unplugged, set up my sd card on my computer, plugged the phone into my computer transferred some ringtones and notification tones. Then spent the next several hours setting up my apps, home screens, assigning personalized ringtones and message alerts for many of my contacts and tweaking all the settings to my liking. In short, the phone got minimal charge time and was used heavily through the day and I still had battery life when I plugged it up before going to bed after 12 hours use. No hiccups with the software, runs smooth, screen is great, all in all a fantastic device. As an added bonus, it comes with an app called LG Smart World. I had no idea what that was and had not seen anything about it, so I checked it out. It's an LG source for apps and things essentially but what I found most interesting is there are themes available through this app, loads of them. Found a very nice one, grabbed it and applied it, one touch and done, new icons and themed screens. Go to a store and check out the phone if you can, it's a great device.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had a series of htc phones and always considered the cameras to be fine...

Then I bought the G3 and wow, what a difference. Just better all around

I test drive the G3 for 2 weeks and decided to keep it. If I'm being perfectly honest, I decided to keep it an hour after I bought it

YepDatsE

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I have been an iPhone user since the first iPhone was waiting for the iPhone 6, ran iOS8 on my iPhone 5C and was disappointed that there weren't any MAJOR changes that android didn't already have. I upgraded from the 5C to the St and although the St is a great phone it was too "cartoonish" for me so I took it back and got the G3..... Awesome device, wayyy more features than the iPhone I have yet to find one complaint I have about the G3 I say go for it coming from one iPhone user to another

SideKickM24

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I got my G3 yesterday, and so far I don't have any real issues. Battery life is amazing (I'm coming from a Galaxy S3). I'm not sure why I can't connect to the LG program to transfer music from my computer to my phone though. My computer recognizes my phone but the program is unable to connect. I'm syncing through Music player for the time being.
Colors are good, sound is good, this phone is leaps and bounds better than what I previously had. Oh, and I haven't noticed any lag at all.... Which I love. I'm impressed.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love it my only complaint is the Music app compared to my S5 it's lacking customization using the headphones doesn't sound good.

I bought the Poweramp Full Version since I have credits so I'll see how it performs.

Pro S5

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is the only reason I like the native app

Attachments

• 9936.jpg
    9936.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 173

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess it would help if I at least tried it. LOL

As for the OP, I seem to be going through a "break-in" period? :) Since picking her up on Friday and customizing, tweaking everything is either disappearing (lag) and improving (battery charge time).

What's next, I will be truly amazed be the 2K display. ;) LOL

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving the G3. I didn't give it a chance when it first came out. But I played with it a few days ago and I had to have it. The more I use it the more I'm loving it. LG did a great job in my opinion. I definitely would recommend it others.

Posted via my LG G3

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
So right now im kind of eyeing the LG G3. right now I have a Iphone 5S, but I think I might just want more options and flexibility with android, so im trying to fgiure out whats thebest phone to get right now. (or in the next few months).

So far the G3 looks like one of the best options, but I hear complaints about the screens contrast and brightness. also that the quad HD display causes more battery drain and performance issues than phones like the S5 or M8. Because the batterys removable maybe the battery isnt a issue, but still.

If it's your first android device I would snag an M8. My wife switched to android after being a long time iPhone user. The UI performs better than LGs IMO. I do like my G3 better for form factor and customization, but the HTC is bulletproof, it works so well. I haven't had any major hiccups with my G3 but I do notice a tiny bit of stutter opening and closing apps and in the app drawer. Its my opinion that the HTC one m8 is closest android to the fluidness of iPhones. The G3 is just more fun to use.

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had it for 5 days now and I have to say it's the best phone I've ever had.

The screen is beautiful and the speed is lightning I have no issues or cons whatsoever, I was gonna wait for the Note 4 but Samsung annoyed me with the random issues I had with the S3 and touchwhiz just bores me now.

1 happy new LG convert. p.s paired with my LG G watch is a match made in heaven...Go go gadget A Dot lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois