Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How is the LG G3?

    So right now im kind of eyeing the LG G3. right now I have a Iphone 5S, but I think I might just want more options and flexibility with android, so im trying to fgiure out whats thebest phone to get right now. (or in the next few months).

    So far the G3 looks like one of the best options, but I hear complaints about the screens contrast and brightness. also that the quad HD display causes more battery drain and performance issues than phones like the S5 or M8. Because the batterys removable maybe the battery isnt a issue, but still.

    Also, how good is LG usually with updates in comparison to others.

    and over all are you happy with the phone and would you buy it again?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Don't like HTC myself. The G3 is fantastic. No issues with mine other than the lock screen weather don't work. This device is running well. I get great battery life but I always charge my phone at night before bed. I never go or attempt too go days without charging. I left my 5s for this and love it. In waiting though to see the note 4 when that releases also.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by areyes163 View Post
    Don't like HTC myself. The G3 is fantastic. No issues with mine other than the lock screen weather don't work. This device is running well. I get great battery life but I always charge my phone at night before bed. I never go or attempt too go days without charging. I left my 5s for this and love it. In waiting though to see the note 4 when that releases also.
    yeah, im pretty adament about cahrging my phone at night unless I fall asleep listening to musicor something. Do you notice slowdown or lag?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    yeah, im pretty adament about cahrging my phone at night unless I fall asleep listening to musicor something. Do you notice slowdown or lag?
    No lag or slowdowns for me. The only problem I had was today. I tried to change my wallpaper but the device wouldn't switch it. It said it did but when I checked my old one was so there. I restarted the phone and then it switched.

    Phone even runs great even when connected to my g watch and Bluetooth headphones at the same time. I have no complaints.
  5. #5  
    PhilR8's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Just upgraded to it today. I've only had it a few hours so I can't speak to some of the things you asked about, but I did come to Android from a different OS so perhaps my thoughts can be of value.

    I came from a Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) that I was actually very happy with until just this past month, when a bunch of different things happened at the same time and really annoyed me. The battery suddenly stopped keeping a decent charge, vibration stopped working, LTE data was inconsistent... anyway, it seemed to age a hundred years in a single moment. It was time to upgrade and unfortunately on AT&T there wasn't a real clear upgrade path for Windows Phone users, so I decided to give Android another shot.

    That was the easy decision, though. My wife has the Galaxy S5, and using it once every few days really didn't do anything for me - I just wasn't impressed with any aspect of it. So my real targets were the HTC One M8 and the LG G3. I've spent a lot of time over the past few days reading up on both phones, reading comparisons, trying to see why people prefer one over the other, and I walked away really thinking I would go in to the AT&T store and buy an HTC One M8. Lots of people were saying that both phones were great but the M8 was just a bit faster and just a bit better etc.

    I went to the AT&T store and played with the M8 and the G3 side-by-side and my opinion totally changed - the G3 really stood out as a superior device in my eyes. There was no "lag" that people keep talking about. None that I can see, anyway, although I am coming from a 20-month-old Lumia 920. But side-by-side, the G3 and the M8 seemed to be equally speedy. As far as the screen goes, both devices looked nice and I wouldn't have been able to seriously claim that one was better than the other.

    Another thing that people were always bringing up when comparing the M8 and the G3 was the "premium" feel of the M8 and the plasticky feel of the G3. That all may be true, but it wasn't a big deal for me, especially since I was going to put a plasticky protective case on whichever device I bought. The G3 felt pretty nice without a case and feels pretty nice with a case - appropriately solid. Coming from a Lumia 920, which is a device that was a TRUE premium feel, with super tight fit and finish and a very pleasant heft that denotes a solid, thoughtfully built device, I was kind of worried about how I would react to the G3... but I shouldn't have been worried because it feels great.

    Yet another thing that lots of folks were referencing when comparing the two devices was Sense vs LG's launcher... I just gotta say that I don't like the look of Sense. I don't like the font, the spacing of the letters. They're too narrow and too close together. Nitpicky, I know, but Sense just looked repulsive to me while LG's launcher/thing looked nice, or at least acceptable.

    So I've rambled a bit but those are my thoughts after owning the G3 for a few hours and coming from a different OS.
    Neibl likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR8 View Post
    Just upgraded to it today. I've only had it a few hours so I can't speak to some of the things you asked about, but I did come to Android from a different OS so perhaps my thoughts can be of value.

    I came from a Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) that I was actually very happy with until just this past month, when a bunch of different things happened at the same time and really annoyed me. The battery suddenly stopped keeping a decent charge, vibration stopped working, LTE data was inconsistent... anyway, it seemed to age a hundred years in a single moment. It was time to upgrade and unfortunately on AT&T there wasn't a real clear upgrade path for Windows Phone users, so I decided to give Android another shot.

    That was the easy decision, though. My wife has the Galaxy S5, and using it once every few days really didn't do anything for me - I just wasn't impressed with any aspect of it. So my real targets were the HTC One M8 and the LG G3. I've spent a lot of time over the past few days reading up on both phones, reading comparisons, trying to see why people prefer one over the other, and I walked away really thinking I would go in to the AT&T store and buy an HTC One M8. Lots of people were saying that both phones were great but the M8 was just a bit faster and just a bit better etc.

    I went to the AT&T store and played with the M8 and the G3 side-by-side and my opinion totally changed - the G3 really stood out as a superior device in my eyes. There was no "lag" that people keep talking about. None that I can see, anyway, although I am coming from a 20-month-old Lumia 920. But side-by-side, the G3 and the M8 seemed to be equally speedy. As far as the screen goes, both devices looked nice and I wouldn't have been able to seriously claim that one was better than the other.

    Another thing that people were always bringing up when comparing the M8 and the G3 was the "premium" feel of the M8 and the plasticky feel of the G3. That all may be true, but it wasn't a big deal for me, especially since I was going to put a plasticky protective case on whichever device I bought. The G3 felt pretty nice without a case and feels pretty nice with a case - appropriately solid. Coming from a Lumia 920, which is a device that was a TRUE premium feel, with super tight fit and finish and a very pleasant heft that denotes a solid, thoughtfully built device, I was kind of worried about how I would react to the G3... but I shouldn't have been worried because it feels great.

    Yet another thing that lots of folks were referencing when comparing the two devices was Sense vs LG's launcher... I just gotta say that I don't like the look of Sense. I don't like the font, the spacing of the letters. They're too narrow and too close together. Nitpicky, I know, but Sense just looked repulsive to me while LG's launcher/thing looked nice, or at least acceptable.

    So I've rambled a bit but those are my thoughts after owning the G3 for a few hours and coming from a different OS.
    Thanks for the comparison. I might still consider the M8, but the camera might be a deal breaker just because I hate paying the same price for a 4MP camera when these other cameras have 13 and 16 MP cameras .
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Thanks for the comparison. I might still consider the M8, but the camera might be a deal breaker just because I hate paying the same price for a 4MP camera when these other cameras have 13 and 16 MP cameras .
    The camera was a deal breaker for me when I had the M7. The pictures look fine on the screen but you look at them on a larger screen and they are just way to pixelated to be useful. I don't see M8 fixing that problem. If HTC put a larger camera in it, I'd have that as my phone now

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Best phone I've used by far!
    Gator352 likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    G3 is a great phone and I've had just about every flagship Sprint has offered.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
  10. #10  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I say that it is definitely worth it I like it better than my m8
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Also, how good is LG usually with updates in comparison to others.

    and over all are you happy with the phone and would you buy it again?
    Just picked up my G3 yesterday, switched from a Galaxy S5. Has an iPhone 5s, M8 and Nexus 5 before - along with a few others... To answer your questions, would I buy it again? Absolutely. Am I happy with it? Very much so. How's LG with updates? About like all the rest for the most part.

    Like I said, I got mine yesterday. It had about 40% charge in the battery out of the box. When I got home I was able to charge it for about fifteen minutes before running out for an outing. Used it for Google Maps navigation, plugged in to a car charger, for an hour drive each way. Got back home, unplugged, set up my sd card on my computer, plugged the phone into my computer transferred some ringtones and notification tones. Then spent the next several hours setting up my apps, home screens, assigning personalized ringtones and message alerts for many of my contacts and tweaking all the settings to my liking. In short, the phone got minimal charge time and was used heavily through the day and I still had battery life when I plugged it up before going to bed after 12 hours use. No hiccups with the software, runs smooth, screen is great, all in all a fantastic device. As an added bonus, it comes with an app called LG Smart World. I had no idea what that was and had not seen anything about it, so I checked it out. It's an LG source for apps and things essentially but what I found most interesting is there are themes available through this app, loads of them. Found a very nice one, grabbed it and applied it, one touch and done, new icons and themed screens. Go to a store and check out the phone if you can, it's a great device.
    GrooveRite likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I've had a series of htc phones and always considered the cameras to be fine...

    Then I bought the G3 and wow, what a difference. Just better all around

    I test drive the G3 for 2 weeks and decided to keep it. If I'm being perfectly honest, I decided to keep it an hour after I bought it

    Posted via Android Central App
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Retired Ambassador
    Thanked by 2:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I have been an iPhone user since the first iPhone was waiting for the iPhone 6, ran iOS8 on my iPhone 5C and was disappointed that there weren't any MAJOR changes that android didn't already have. I upgraded from the 5C to the St and although the St is a great phone it was too "cartoonish" for me so I took it back and got the G3..... Awesome device, wayyy more features than the iPhone I have yet to find one complaint I have about the G3 I say go for it coming from one iPhone user to another

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default

    I got my G3 yesterday, and so far I don't have any real issues. Battery life is amazing (I'm coming from a Galaxy S3). I'm not sure why I can't connect to the LG program to transfer music from my computer to my phone though. My computer recognizes my phone but the program is unable to connect. I'm syncing through Music player for the time being.
    Colors are good, sound is good, this phone is leaps and bounds better than what I previously had. Oh, and I haven't noticed any lag at all.... Which I love. I'm impressed.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I love it my only complaint is the Music app compared to my S5 it's lacking customization using the headphones doesn't sound good.

    I bought the Poweramp Full Version since I have credits so I'll see how it performs.

    Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

    - MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  16. #16  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    This is the only reason I like the native app
    [ATTACH]null[/ATTACH]

    Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How is the LG G3?-9936.jpg  
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Retired Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    bembol 
    bembol likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I guess it would help if I at least tried it. LOL

    As for the OP, I seem to be going through a "break-in" period? Since picking her up on Friday and customizing, tweaking everything is either disappearing (lag) and improving (battery charge time).

    What's next, I will be truly amazed be the 2K display. LOL
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

    - MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
    ffejjj likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I'm loving the G3. I didn't give it a chance when it first came out. But I played with it a few days ago and I had to have it. The more I use it the more I'm loving it. LG did a great job in my opinion. I definitely would recommend it others.


    Posted via my LG G3
  19. #19  
    billbrobaggins's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    339 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    So right now im kind of eyeing the LG G3. right now I have a Iphone 5S, but I think I might just want more options and flexibility with android, so im trying to fgiure out whats thebest phone to get right now. (or in the next few months).

    So far the G3 looks like one of the best options, but I hear complaints about the screens contrast and brightness. also that the quad HD display causes more battery drain and performance issues than phones like the S5 or M8. Because the batterys removable maybe the battery isnt a issue, but still.

    Also, how good is LG usually with updates in comparison to others.

    and over all are you happy with the phone and would you buy it again?
    If it's your first android device I would snag an M8. My wife switched to android after being a long time iPhone user. The UI performs better than LGs IMO. I do like my G3 better for form factor and customization, but the HTC is bulletproof, it works so well. I haven't had any major hiccups with my G3 but I do notice a tiny bit of stutter opening and closing apps and in the app drawer. Its my opinion that the HTC one m8 is closest android to the fluidness of iPhones. The G3 is just more fun to use.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    I've had it for 5 days now and I have to say it's the best phone I've ever had.

    The screen is beautiful and the speed is lightning I have no issues or cons whatsoever, I was gonna wait for the Note 4 but Samsung annoyed me with the random issues I had with the S3 and touchwhiz just bores me now.

    1 happy new LG convert. p.s paired with my LG G watch is a match made in heaven...Go go gadget A Dot lol
  21. #21  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    since android L is a 64 bit os,when the final version hits the present flagships like the HTC M8 and the LG G3,which are running 32 bit chipsets,will the performance be as smooth and fluid as its going to be on the upcoming 64 bit chipsets with the note 4 and nexus 6?will there be a significant change in the overall performance of the present devices compared to those yet to release?(i'm a newbie.so please bear with me)
  22. #22  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    My JUMP was up in July, so I had my pick of the litter. Now... the M8. First, coming from a Nexus 5, the M8's software felt the best of any non-Nexus phone. It was laid out similar to my Nexus 5 and it was the only one that came close (but not matching) the fluidity. An unmodified Nexus 5 is a sight to behold in terms of smoothness. But in any case... the G3 doesn't match that overall fluidity, but that's only noticeable if I held them side by side.... which I shopped doing due to the fact that my Nexus is getting shipped off to T-Mobile this week and using it only gives me buyers remorse. That was such an awesome phone.... but I'm moving on and the G3 was my choice.

    I have two issues with the M8.... Unless you are taking selfies and only posting on instagram, the camera has problems. Yes, pixel counts aren't the end-all when comparing cameras, but when you put a 4MP shooter up against cams that pack 2 (Nexus 5, iPhone 5s) or 3 times (S5, G3) the detail, that deficiency is going to become a problem if you want to use the phone as your daily, out and about camera. Secondly, I don't listen to music much on my phone (and when I do, I use headphones. So speakers aren't high on my list. Yeah, they sound incredible, especially when compared to other phones. But they also take up a LOT of space. The HTC is actually TALLER than the G3 and side by side, and the M8 looked oddly dis-proportioned with a ton of room lost to bezel/speaker. The M8 is a great phone, just not a great phone for me.... If I didn't need a workable camera and speaker sound was important, that would probably be THE phone.

    The S5? Well... I don't like the S5 because, well, because Samsung. Great hardware.... rest blows. From the not just locked, but encrypted bootloaders to the heavily laded-down Touchwiz interface. Samsung, you suck. Enough already.

    But I have some detailed opinions over on a thread I started : Former Nexus 5 zealot's first impressions. I'm not yet on a week with the phone, so that thread is stream of consciousness.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    My JUMP was up in July, so I had my pick of the litter. Now... the M8. First, coming from a Nexus 5, the M8's software felt the best of any non-Nexus phone. It was laid out similar to my Nexus 5 and it was the only one that came close (but not matching) the fluidity. An unmodified Nexus 5 is a sight to behold in terms of smoothness. But in any case... the G3 doesn't match that overall fluidity, but that's only noticeable if I held them side by side.... which I shopped doing due to the fact that my Nexus is getting shipped off to T-Mobile this week and using it only gives me buyers remorse. That was such an awesome phone.... but I'm moving on and the G3 was my choice.

    I have two issues with the M8.... Unless you are taking selfies and only posting on instagram, the camera has problems. Yes, pixel counts aren't the end-all when comparing cameras, but when you put a 4MP shooter up against cams that pack 2 (Nexus 5, iPhone 5s) or 3 times (S5, G3) the detail, that deficiency is going to become a problem if you want to use the phone as your daily, out and about camera. Secondly, I don't listen to music much on my phone (and when I do, I use headphones. So speakers aren't high on my list. Yeah, they sound incredible, especially when compared to other phones. But they also take up a LOT of space. The HTC is actually TALLER than the G3 and side by side, and the M8 looked oddly dis-proportioned with a ton of room lost to bezel/speaker. The M8 is a great phone, just not a great phone for me.... If I didn't need a workable camera and speaker sound was important, that would probably be THE phone.

    The S5? Well... I don't like the S5 because, well, because Samsung. Great hardware.... rest blows. From the not just locked, but encrypted bootloaders to the heavily laded-down Touchwiz interface. Samsung, you suck. Enough already.

    But I have some detailed opinions over on a thread I started : Former Nexus 5 zealot's first impressions. I'm not yet on a week with the phone, so that thread is stream of consciousness.
    What about the Z2? Overall smoother and more fluid than the G3, not as good as the M8 in smoothness though. Great camera,20MP, Adjustable screen colour. Design is OK,overall I'd rank it perhaps the best all round package at the moment.

    PS The Nexus 5 is a really great phone. Tons of custom Roms and kernels and a great price.
  24. #24  
    Duncan1982's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,916 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    Quote Originally Posted by pmcnei11 View Post
    What about the Z2? Overall smoother and more fluid than the G3, not as good as the M8 in smoothness though. Great camera,20MP, Adjustable screen colour. Design is OK,overall I'd rank it perhaps the best all round package at the moment.
    The Z2 in terms of build is on par with the M8 it just boils down to do you like glass or Alliminium?

    Camera is Fantastic with the dedicated shutter button and app is nicely designed.

    Ui is fluid and is light and very stock android with a hint of Sony Design which I like.

    But the G3 is just different and in a dam good way.

    I'm lucky to have them both and to pick one over the other would be hard. If I was forced to I would probably go for the Z2. But thankfully I can enjoy both :-)

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  25. #25  

    Default Re: How is the LG G3?

    The one issue I have with the Z2 isn't the phone's fault... Sony couldn't care less about the U.S. market... that has an impact
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM
  2. How do OTG cables differ from each other?
    By popengchan in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM
  3. I'm trying to make the g3 work
    By trucksmoveamerica#AC in forum LG G3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
  4. How to add the voice mail icon to home screen
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 11:23 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions