GPS and Google Maps issue

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just drove back from Florida to Pennsylvania today and noticed some weird GPS behavior on Maps. On more than half the times I took an exit on the highway, Google Maps would think I missed the exit and would reroute me, only to decide that I was actually on the exit ramp a couple of seconds later.

It was acting like the GPS was reporting a position that was off a bit from my actual position. Normally, that didn't affect it because the Navigation would snap the position to the road it thought I was on. But when I took an exit that veered off from the highway, it didn't realize I was on the exit until I moved far enough away from the highway.

I never had this problem with my other phones. I drove down to Florida two weeks ago using my Galaxy S4 and didn't have this problem. I bought the G3 while I was down there, so I was using it while driving back home.

Maybe it was a change with Google Maps. In the past, when I've ignored the directions that Maps gave me, I've seen Maps showing me driving down the exit that I didn't actually take for a few seconds before it realizes that I stayed on the highway and reroutes me. Today it acted like it was assuming I was staying on the highway and would reroute me almost immediately only to later discover that I was on the exit ramp.

eelton

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed something along these lines, although when walking--Google Maps took a while to recognize when I had turned off a street. I believe the issue was that the heading arrow (the little blue arrow that points in your direction of travel) wasn't working properly; it was always pointed north, no matter what direction I was going in.

Clearing the cache in Maps seemed to fix it, at least for a while. However, it still isn't quite right, as sometimes the arrow doesn't appear at all.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that when you activate Navigation, they give you a warning that Navigation is in Beta! That's pretty weird as Navigation has been active for many years.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I calibrated my gyro right off of the bat, and I haven't had any issues. They only time the arrow pointed the wrong way on me was when I accidentally put it in walk mode while I was driving. It must think I'm Usain Bolt.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I calibrated my gyro right off of the bat, and I haven't had any issues. They only time the arrow pointed the wrong way on me was when I accidentally put it in walk mode while I was driving. It must think I'm Usain Bolt.

And how did you calibrate the gyro?

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem OP. Its brutal if you are in DC or NYC with the constant reroutes, but even worse if you are in a rural area with no signal. When it attempts to reroute it won't come back.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just add it the list of problems this phone already has. How LG not doing so well. Lol
Yeah this phone reminds me of the thunderbolt back in the day, great idea poor execution. Problems I have encountered:

(1) GPS mentioned above
(2) That horrid sharpening effect
(3) Car auxiliary doesn't work with most car
(4) Lagginess throughout the LG customized portions of the phone. You can get rid of the launcher but still encounter it other areas.
(5) Open up the recent apps screen, rotate the phone, look at the letters them try to read the pictures without getting sick

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this phone reminds me of the thunderbolt back in the day, great idea poor execution. Problems I have encountered:

(1) GPS mentioned above
(2) That horrid sharpening effect
(3) Car auxiliary doesn't work with most car
(4) Lagginess throughout the LG customized portions of the phone. You can get rid of the launcher but still encounter it other areas.
(5) Open up the recent apps screen, rotate the phone, look at the letters them try to read the pictures without getting sick

Why don't you go buy an M8, S5 or whatever other phone strikes your fancy and hang out in its forum instead of spending all your time here hating on the G3? Doesn't seem like a very good use of your time. Go find a phone you'll be happy with.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Make sure the actual GPS is turned on . the default is set to location by network once I turned on GPS my location was perfect.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance