Awful G3 Standby time

aviman1231

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
So ive been using my G3 for about 10 days now and have been getting pretty bad battery life at work with airplane mode on and only wifi and wanted to really test out the battery last night by leaving it unplugged overnight. I usually keep my phone plugged in overnight but since it was the weekend i was home on saturday and it was in the charger for basically the whole day i decided to test the battery. I unplugged the phone at around 2:50 and took the screenshots below at around 8. I lost 29% of my battery during that time and i was SHOCKED!!! my phone was on 4G however i have really good service where i live and was on 4-5 bars all night. the phone didn't have bluetooth, wifi, nfc... ect active. The phone was on 15% brightness (if that even matters since the screen was off all night). Before i took the screenshots i went into battery and saw that an app called "lyft" was said to use 70% so i uninstalled it before taking that screenshots. I really don't know what i should do because i am rooted and have already installed a tempered glass screen protector. Please help if possible!
Edit: Its 9:37 now and around an hour and a half after i uninstalled lyft. I am now at 68% which is better than last night however still pretty bad considering i had a screen on time since last night of just 6 minutes and 29 seconds.
Edit #2: Battery life continuing to drain fast i have 59% which means i have lost 9% in less than 2 hours of virtually no screen on time. I am very concerned and don't know what to do? If anyone has had this issue please let me know.

aviman1231

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Since i am a new user i can not post screen shots but they are up on the reddit thread under the same title if you could check them out.

sbeil

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you still have a run away app. Factory reset? My phone gets amazing battery life. Better than my Galaxy S5.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
out of curiosity, how is your standby time as percentage/time goes?

5% for the last 3 hours on standby on wifi. Location accuracy high, wifi, Bluetooth - all on, syncing three mail accounts. I agree with the above that you have a wonky app draining your battery. Go to settings, apps, swipe over twice to "running" and have a look to see was actively running on your phone.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If its on 4g with a good conection, is it the same rate

Yes pretty close, but cellular data is not as efficient as wifi. I'm on 4g (HSPA) at home, I rarely pick up LTE at home (AT&T) but good 4g is always better than poor LTE. The worse the signal, the higher the battery drain because the phone will work really hard to maintain that connection.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Standby time for me... Usually I unplug my phone about 2100-2130. I normally wake up for work about 0645 and see my phone percentage lost is 1%.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I would like to amend my earlier report.

I lose about 1% per hour on LTE. Overnight on WiFi I went to sleep at 11:30pm and my phone was at 30%. I woke up at 6:30am and it was at 28%.

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Let mine charge to 100% before I went to bed. Unplugged it at 10pm and woke up at 5am and phone was still at 100%.

Posted via my LG G3

mlett

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm with all of these guys that I'm getting it draining <1% per hour. On Saturday night, I went to bed and it was 78% and woke up and it was 74%. Also it seems that it charges really fast.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Let mine charge to 100% before I went to bed. Unplugged it at 10pm and woke up at 5am and phone was still at 100%.

This can happen when the battery is overcharged. You're actually at more like 103%, and overnight it will drop a few, giving you the illusion that it's not using any power to be on standby (impossible).

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
This can happen when the battery is overcharged. You're actually at more like 103%, and overnight it will drop a few, giving you the illusion that it's not using any power to be on standby (impossible).

Well I'm not overcharging by leaving it plugged in longer than it's suppose too. When I had iPhone 5S and the M8 it did the same. Stay at 100%.

Posted via my LG G3

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm not overcharging by leaving it plugged in longer than it's suppose too. When I had iPhone 5S and the M8 it did the same. Stay at 100%.

Perhaps I should clarify. When the battery gets fully charged, it tends to go to a capacity over what it is currently rated for. This tends to happen with newer batteries. It's not that you are over-charging it on purpose or error. When the battery "thinks" it's full, it says 100%. But this is not always completely accurate, and any time (minutes, even) over that the charger stays plugged into the phone will effectively over-charge it. :)

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
This is mine after sitting for 3+ hours this morning:
4e9egeqa.jpg

Mav. :cool:

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I unplugged my fully charge Lg g3 last night at 12:30 am. Let it sit all night until 6am. Battery percentage still at 100% WiFi on and sync on. Awesome battery life..

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

overzeetop

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the phone's algorithm for 100% seems to be based on a voltage which is lower than the fully-charged threshold.

I live in an area of awful service - over a large hill from the close tower, but ~3-5 miles from the next tower that isn't obscured by a mountain. The phone switches from LTE to 3G (Verizon), but has no more than 2 bars anywhere in my house. I leave wifi on, but have three APs, so that signal is strong. I drain at 1% per hour, and typically use roughly 40-60% from 0600 to 2200 with a few phone calls, a couple emails, an hour or so of SDcard music and GPS (running app) and probably 60-90 minutes of screen-on time.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
SO people that have excessive drain should look at widgets and such.

I streamed iHeart radio on my way to work for an hour, have 4G syncing 3 email acounts.
I also have touchdown syncing another.

After 6 h 35 min, I'm at 86% battery.

This thing has awesome battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae