LG G3 vs Nexus 7 - Charging Race

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My G3 3,000 mAh battery takes just as much time as my 7000 mAh-ish Nexus 7 battery to charge. Sorry if this is a repeat thread but can anyone else share the problem I'm having? 30 minutes on the charger (with casual use) increased my battery life by just 5%.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
5% over 30 minutes is really slow... you are right. But there's got to be something going on.... what charger are you using? What is the phone doing while it is charging? Are you having battery drain issues, etc.... If you are using the same charger/cable for both and seeing the G3 go THAT slow... something is up.

altezzaboy03

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
5% over 30 minutes is really slow... you are right. QM20SHIP there's got to be something gujoing on.... what charger are you using? What is the phone doing while it is charging? Are you having battery drain issues, etc.... If you are using the same charger/cable for both and seeing the G3 go you're i Hh p is up.

i
O

5% over 30 ggh really slow... you eare right. But therike's got to be something goi
Ezng on.... what charger are you using? What is the phone doing while it is charging? Are you having battery drain r etc.... If you are using the same charger/cable for both and seeing the G3 go THAT slow... something is up.
dare i
iun

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
My 2012 Nexus 7 would probably need 10 hours to charge on the stock cable, stock adapter and many others I've tried. Finally found a combination that works for me but ymmv: 'Frieq hi-speed' usb cable and 'New Trent NT90c' on Amazon. I also picked up the Nexus 7 dock to charge through the pins for when the device port fails. I can charge the device in reasonable time now.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
5% over 30 minutes is really slow... you are right. But there's got to be something going on.... what charger are you using? What is the phone doing while it is charging? Are you having battery drain issues, etc.... If you are using the same charger/cable for both and seeing the G3 go THAT slow... something is up.

I'm using the stock LG charger. The phone screen is on (because I'm using it) but only for texting and emails. I typically get a full day out on a single charge, but I have atypical days where I need my car charger. I have Wi-Fi on only at home, location off, Bluetooth off, and no 3rd party task killers or battery monitors.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the stock LG charger. The phone screen is on (because I'm using it) but only for texting and emails.

How does it charge with the screen off? This screen does have a voracious appetite and it will most definitely charge slowly if you are actively using the phone, even if it is not processor intensive stuff.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Bet you this dude tried to use the LG Keyboard ;)

I'm having a bit of a love/hate with that thing right now... not sure what spelling demon has possessed that app, but random words appear.

I am in lieu of Swiftkey. Should I install Swiftkey?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
How does it charge with the screen off? This screen does have a voracious appetite and it will most definitely charge slowly if you are actively using the phone, even if it is not processor intensive stuff.

Still much longer than my Galaxy S4. If I had to guess, 3.5-4 hour charge with screen off from 20%-100%.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in lieu of Swiftkey. Should I install Swiftkey?

Well, only if you have issues. I'm playing around with the settings a bit... But I think that LGkm might have to work on gesture accuracy... I didn't type that LGkm earlier, the 'km' just appeared.

But off topic reply is off topic.. Let's help this dude's battery issues.. Heh

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Same issues here. If I am using my G3 while charging, forget it... I'll die before it reaches 100%... However, if I let it sit and charge, it will charge completely in two hours. It's hard for me to keep my fingers off my phone. For reference, my S5 would be charging and I using netflix, charging was never a problem....

Reminds me of my Thunderbolt days. The phone that single handedly set smartphones back a few years...

Last edited:

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
After speaking to numerous Verizon tech support tiers, they told me it's a trickle charger and to expect 3-4 hour full charging cycles.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem i have with charging is the cable, and getting the usb cable to insert properly. Here is one area that i feel the g3 lacks a bit.

But i haven't noticed any problems charging per se.

Sent from my VK810 4G using AC Forums mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
After speaking to numerous Verizon tech support tiers, they told me it's a trickle charger and to expect 3-4 hour full charging cycles.

What is the output current? There should be a sticker on it that says something like "OUTPUT:5.0V=1.2A" Output voltage is 5 volts and max current of 1.2 amps.

The higher the second value, the more current that the phone can pull (up to its own internal limit of course), the faster it charges the battery. I have a couple of older bricks for some older devices and stuff.... they are down around 300-500mA... The above rating is the LG charger than came with my Nexus 5. The charger that came with my new G3 is 1.8A, and the Nexus 7 (which has a massive battery) is 2.0A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech