Stock LG Keyboard or Swiftkey?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've owned the G3 since opening day and have yet to put Swiftkey on the phone. Who thinks Swiftkey is better than the stock keyboard?

Posted via Android Central App

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the LG Keyboard, being an OEM keyboard, is very good out of the box and does everything as well as swiftkey... except next word prediction. If next word prediction worked like swiftkeys, i'd probably stick with the LG keyboard and was running it stock for a while. But I'm a sucker for updates and tried the latest swiftekey and runs great as usual and the next word prediction gives it an edge over stock so I'm sticking with swiftkey for now.

Any particular feature on Swiftkey make you feel that way?

Posted via Android Central App

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Does the stock keyboard allow you to show arrow keys? If not, I'm sticking with SwiftKey.

Posted via Android Central App with my LG G3

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I like Swiftkey and really like the arrows, but I have had one annoying issue that has only shown up on my G3. When I have sentences that start with "I am" or "I can" (or similar phrases) when I hit the space bar to enter the words, it changes them to something like "II ccan" or similar. It is annoying and it is a pain to fix because it keeps wanting to change it to the wrong thing. I have not had this problem on any other phones and I have not seen any similar complaints on the Swiftkey forums, so perhaps it is something I did, but it is terribly annoying. Swiftkey can also be slow sometimes.

I would use the stock keyboard if it had the arrows.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Probably something you did.

Bring up your keyboard in an app... like messenger, and type the word in question ("I am"). When you see the spell checker up top it will probably see the mispelled word it replaces it with all the time... press and hodl down the box with the mispelled word and it will ask if you want to remove this word from your dictionary and choose yes.

I like Swiftkey and really like the arrows, but I have had one annoying issue that has only shown up on my G3. When I have sentences that start with "I am" or "I can" (or similar phrases) when I hit the space bar to enter the words, it changes them to something like "II ccan" or similar. It is annoying and it is a pain to fix because it keeps wanting to change it to the wrong thing. I have not had this problem on any other phones and I have not seen any similar complaints on the Swiftkey forums, so perhaps it is something I did, but it is terribly annoying. Swiftkey can also be slow sometimes.

I would use the stock keyboard if it had the arrows.

rchusid

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I gave the stock keyboard a try for the first few days and then installed Swiftkey (which I used on my previous phone). I definitely prefer Swiftkey. Predictions are much better after training it on email, text messages, Facebook, etc.

eunesh

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Google Keyboard from Google Play -- the fastest keyboard because I'm used to it so much. Also, the combo of swyping and regulart typing, and the accuracy of the autocorrect is great for my purposes.

The way I like a keyboard is to type as fast as I want to, and the keyboard know what I meant to say and autocorrect. I don't like the predictive text -- never really worked for me. It takes so long to start typing a word, then see if they predicted it or not. I just type and Google Keyboard fixes. If it gets it wrong? Just tell it once, and it won't happen again.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried the stock keyboard for about a week and just didn't really like it. I used the stock keyboard on the note 3, and Swype before that. I love Swype but I'm too accustomed to the number row, therefore I have SwiftKey a shot. It's OK... Better than the stock but for 3rd party keyboards I still prefer Swype

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i REALLY like the look and feel of the stock keyboard...

BUT the word prediction (autocorrect) is HORRIBLE!!!! it changes words that actually exist to different words that don't make sense!

it changed "pick" to "oick" and "to" to "it" etc etc...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The G3's keyboard is probably the best I've use because not only it's very responsive, you can customize it and Clipboard is included. Google and hTc I have to download the Clipper app.

Pro S5

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Probably something you did.

Bring up your keyboard in an app... like messenger, and type the word in question ("I am"). When you see the spell checker up top it will probably see the mispelled word it replaces it with all the time... press and hodl down the box with the mispelled word and it will ask if you want to remove this word from your dictionary and choose yes.

That is the weird thing -- it looks fine in the suggested words box and whether you hit space then to accept it or finish typing it out and then hit space it changes it to the messed up words.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
hmm... then maybe try this... spell the mispelled word like "II" or "ccan" and if you see the mispelled word in the suggested word box, then long press and remove the mispelled words. In that way it will be out of your dictionary and shouldnt default to it? I have a similar problem with my iPad air doubling up letters and havent looked into how to clear it.

That is the weird thing -- it looks fine in the suggested words box and whether you hit space then to accept it or finish typing it out and then hit space it changes it to the messed up words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol