Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Default LG G3 Stock Launcher & Google Now Launcher - What are the differences?

Probably getting a G3 tomorrow. I really like the Google Launcher. If I change to the GEL, what do I lose as compared to the stock launcher. I did read I would lose the Knock Off, not a big deal. Is there anything else, ie like the multiscreen feature, that I would lose?

Default Re: LG G3 Stock Launcher & Google Now Launcher - What are the differences?

You go from a 5x5 grid homescreen (stock) to a 4x4 homescreen (Google). If you do it immediately upon getting the phone it may not be a bog deal, but it was a shock to me that made the phone feel low res after running stock.

Sent from my LG G3 smartphone.

A DPI change will fix the low res feeling.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Re: LG G3 Stock Launcher & Google Now Launcher - What are the differences?

I liked posts of Google Launcher but the 4x4 vs the 5x5 was the reason I went back to stock. If I could change that I'd use Google

Sent via Tapatalk on my LG G3

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    A DPI change will fix the low res feeling.
    How do you adjust that?

Quote Originally Posted by flotto View Post
    How do you adjust that?
    Edit the ro.sf.lcd_density line in build.prop to a lower value. (Default = 650) (Do not go lower than 540 or you will brick.)

I have mine at 560 and it is much nicer. But I use stock launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by flotto View Post
    How do you adjust that?

You root. Which means most people don't change it.

5x5 vs 4x4 is the biggest and most noticeable difference. 4x4 is just too goofy looking on a 5 inch screen. Us LG-ers are lucky, we get 5x5 on our stock launcher. Other people have to install Nova Launcher to get 5x5. Which is why I personally think Nova Launcher is so frigging popular.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

You're better off with Nova than the Google Now Launcher. Google Now Launcher let's you slide to Google Now. That's it. It lacks any customization whatsoever.

With that said, the stock LG Launcher is also a lot better than the Google Now Launcher.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Party like a Ninja Star

I also went back to stock from GEL. Yeah, I miss sliding for Google Now, but long-pressing "home" is just as convenient and can be done even when not at the home screen.

Instead, I slide to LG Health, which I think is cool and has replaced my FitBit. I also really like knock on/off. GEL has that too, but you have to knock off at the status bar, which isn't one-hand/thumb-friendly, for me anyway.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.plans View Post
    Google Now Launcher let's you slide to Google Now. That's it. It lacks any customization whatsoever.
    I have XGel loaded, so there's a lot to fiddle with, but the simple nature of the Google launcher is what I like most about it. I don't need that much out of my launcher, other than launch and get me to Now.

Stock Launcher is laggy

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    I have XGel loaded, so there's a lot to fiddle with, but the simple nature of the Google launcher is what I like most about it. I don't need that much out of my launcher, other than launch and get me to Now.
    Nova is simple while also allowing you to make it more personal. Without touching a single option, Nova does exactly as any stock launcher. Swiping to Google Now is less intuitive than saying, "Okay, Google," or holding home or swiping up from the navigation bar.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Party like a Ninja Star
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts

Edit the ro.sf.lcd_density line in build.prop to a lower value. (Default = 650) (Do not go lower than 540 or you will brick.)

I have mine at 560 and it is much nicer. But I use stock launcher.
    Just set mine to 560 upon reading this and its so much nicer, would have no doubt looked into it as I do.

But its a great setting and cheers for the info :-)

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.plans View Post
    Swiping to Google Now is less intuitive than saying, "Okay, Google," or holding home or swiping up from the navigation bar.
    Well, that there is matter of personal preference, now, isn't it? Once I got used to that flick, it becomes second nature. Plus, it slides, so I can slide it part of the way, check my ride home from work, and get back.
    Banned

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Well, that there is matter of personal preference, now, isn't it? Once I got used to that flick, it becomes second nature. Plus, it slides, so I can slide it part of the way, check my ride home from work, and get back.
    Agreed. Google one launcher feels like second nature.

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Just set mine to 560 upon reading this and its so much nicer, would have no doubt looked into it as I do.

But its a great setting and cheers for the info :-)

You're welcome! This density should be stock, IMO. The phone's screen is just screaming for more stuff to be crammed into it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts

You're welcome! This density should be stock, IMO. The phone's screen is just screaming for more stuff to be crammed into it.
    Indeed Im chuffed now that I have paid for G3 tweakbox which opens up more great options. And this 560dpi setting is perfect.

Hi Robjulo,
    The Google Experience Launcher now called the Google Now Launcher has now been made available to non-Nexus phones and is available through the Google play store. Stay with the stock launcher on this as someone else mentioned, it's better!
    You might be interested to read this article: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en IFV

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I know this an old thread, but anyone searching for info is going to stumble on it.

I too like the Google stock launcher, but Nova has one BIG advantage - you can back it up. That means your home screen layout, widgets, folders, settings, the lot. What I did is configured it to look exactly like the Google Launcher, including the 'OK Google' speech prompt. I back it up to OneDrive and have restored it so many times on different phones or when I've done a factory reset or installed a new ROM. It makes things so much easier when tinkering.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    I know this an old thread, but anyone searching for info is going to stumble on it.

I too like the Google stock launcher, but Nova has one BIG advantage - you can back it up. That means your home screen layout, widgets, folders, settings, the lot. What I did is configured it to look exactly like the Google Launcher, including the 'OK Google' speech prompt. I back it up to OneDrive and have restored it so many times on different phones or when I've done a factory reset or installed a new ROM. It makes things so much easier when tinkering.
    That 'one BIG advantage' is in GEL, Lollipop.