Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi randomly goes on

Why does my wifi go on by itself?

Default Re: Wifi randomly goes on

Welcome. Have you always had this problem or is it a recent sudden change? If the latter, have you tried fixing with a soft reset?

Posted via Android Central App

There's a feature that some carriers turn on that checks for wifi networks that you've already established a connection with. If you're nearby it turns on automatically. I guess it's intended to help you keep your data down.

I think it's in settings under networking. I had to hunt for it to uncheck it and make it stop.

(^^^ I didn't know about that and it doesn't apply to me but I'm glad I've learnt.👍)

Sprint has this option. It's called Wifi Optimization. But if that doesn't apply here's what you do:

Go into settings / tap wifi / tap the three dots on the top right / tap advanced. There you can uncheck "wifi notification" and it will stop.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6
    Thanked by:

on my phone the app is att smart wifi and it turns wifi off and on depending if i can get a connection or not, works pretty good, sometimes I pick up the phone and the wifi will instantly connect once the phone is turned back on.