Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Customized notification tones?

I have a new LG G3 and am setting up my contacts. On my old Samsung Galaxy S3, I was able to assign individual notification ring tones for text messages which made it easy to know if the text was from someone important (kids) or if it was just a random text.But in the G3 contact list, I can't find a place to do this. I can assign individual ringtones to people but not notification ringtones. Does anyone know anything about how to do this, or if it is even doable?

Thanks
    Ellie

Default Re: Customized notification tones?

Hi Ellie and welcome to the forums.

The answer to your question on a stock LG G3 is no unfortunately. I liked that feature on my Note 3. But you can however, change the vibration pattern and LED light color to differentiate between texts. I know, not a great option if it's in your purse but that's all we have for now.

Hope that helps a little!
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

That's weird, on mine you can set individual message tones (At&t version). Must be software differences between different carriers.

Customized notification tones?-quickmemo-_2014-08-08-07-24-20.jpg

Try Smart Notify, there are many useful options for any number

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ma.smartnotify

Customized notification tones?-snoptions.png

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    That's weird, on mine you can set individual message tones (At&t version). Must be software differences between different carriers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QuickMemo+_2014-08-08-07-24-20.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	131279
    Yeah, not sure why but on Sprint's you can't do that. I just scoured the settings and you can't change individual contact message alerts.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Yeah, not sure why but on Sprint's you can't do that. I just scoured the settings and you can't change individual contact message alerts.
    Sorry to hear that. I hate that the carriers mess with the software and add / remove features as they see fit rather than leaving it as it was designed.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I hate that the carriers mess with the software and add / remove features as they see fit rather than leaving it as it was designed.
    I agree. What's funny is that I could do it on my G2 but not the G3.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for the input, everyone. My phone isn't carrier specific as I live in NZ and bought if off the shelf from a retailer. I'll have a look at Smart Notify and see if there's anything there that could work. Re the LED lights, they might shine as the text comes in (haven't looked for it) but after that there's no light showing at all which is also quite annoying - my old Samsung had flashing LEDs until I'd picked up the text/IM/email etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post
    Yes you can, I have Sprint and the setting is right there when you go to a contact and chose Edit. You can also customize the color of the notification LED:

Attachment 131345
    That's the ringtone. You can change ringtones for individual contacts to differentiate between them. We are talking about SMS notifications or message alert sounds. You cannot have a different notification sound for individual contacts for SMS. It's a one for all sound.

What the heck happened to wordpainter? I come to see if there is a reply and their posts and screenshot is gone! Didn't see that coming.