Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Default Use in Canada

Seen a few threads on this but specifically wanted to know on the VERIZON LG G3. Can I use this phone in Canada by buying a prepaid SIM up there and just putting it in? Or do I need a special unlock code first? I saw Verizon's global plan for Canada, but it seems kind of high for such a small amount of gb

What are your suggestions, or do I just turn the phone off for a week?

Default Re: Use in Canada

Blaidth,
    As you are aware, Verizon is a CDMA company and the SIM card in their LG G3 is not for the CDMA but for the 4G LTE networks since 4G LTE requires use of a SIM card! That is probably why the rates are so high! You should contact Verizon and ask them about being able to use this in Canada because although all the carriers here have turned 4G LTE on, the phones are still not compatible because they have all turned it on in different frequencies and that might be the problem you're faced with if you attempt to use a Verizon phone in Canada, it's probably on a different frequency for the 4G LTE. Then there is also the issue of how Verizon uses CDMA to authenticate phones in their network. I don't know who your provider is in Canada or if you even have CDMA companies there since Telus, Rogers and Bell and just about all the other providers are GSM. You should call Verizon and inquire about having them unlock the phone for you so you can use it anywhere!^IV