Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Initial Thoughts

I'm sure I'm not the only one to write a quick review on what they think of the G3 but wanted to throw out my issues/concerns and questions out. First off, this phone is my wife's. She got it to replace her aging iPhone 4S. She wanted something with a large screen (anything is large compared to a 4/4S). She originally wanted the Galaxy S5 but I turned her to the G3 due to the reviews and on how well the G2 ended up being. So I got to mess with it for a while and wanted to share my thoughts. BTW, I currently own a MotoX.

1. The screen does not have the 'Wow' factor I was expecting it to have. While the large size screen has benefits, like able to have a fully capable keyboard in portrait mode is just awesome. The resolution doesn't awe me like I was expecting. Honestly, a 1080p phone is just fine and I just don't see the benefits of anything higher than that on a small screen.

2. Build quality. I wish LG did a nicer job on the materials and build quality of this phone. The plastic back cover just feels overly cheap for a flagship phone. The damn thing creaks. It's like the back cover isn't on all the way but it is. If you don't understand why I'm complaining about it, pick up a MotoX or an M8.

3. Performance seems to be on par. I see no 'lag' or delay whatsoever.

4. Camera is really good. Fast focus, great color (not washed out like my MotoX can be).

5. Extras like Knock code, removable battery and 32GB (we had no choice in the memory size) helps the value of the phone. Plus the rear buttons with the ability of the knock/knock is just awesome. It kind of makes up the lack of the phone not having the MotoX's active notifications.

My wife just loves it which is all that matters. Even with the perks the G3 offers over my MotoX, I'll still like my X better. However, I would still take a G3 over an S5 any day. Thanks for reading.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Re: Initial Thoughts

The screen will only "wow" during certain use cases and may be overkill for some users who leverage limited applications, but you can get the "wow" factor you're after by adjusting the contrast under Accessibility then Color Adjustment. You can mimic the notification style like on MotoX by installing the Dynamic Notifications app as I have been running from day 1 without incident.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

As far as the back, take it off and put it back on. Start from the top work down both sides till you hit the bottom. This takes care of the creaking. When I put in my SD card and put on my back cover, it creaked. Just removing it and replacing it resolved the issue. The MotoX and M8 don't creak as they don't have any removable parts, they're solid. I prefer to be able to remove my battery as opposed to non-removable....my preference though. I do have an M7 and MotoX in case you're wondering.

Build quality is much better to me than Sammy. That includes my N 3 and it IS solid! I do wish though the back could have been grippier but a Spigen slim armor case took care of that!

But all that matters is a Happy wife which equals to a happy life!
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

All phones with built in battery will seem solider. I had a Diztronic case on both a Droid Maxx and my G3 they both are very solid feeling. I also went from 720p Maxx to uhd G3 while I love the screen I don't consider it a huge difference. I don't think any of the new phones upgrades are nearly as big as they used to be. But having tried the s5,M8 and my wife has a note 3. I do feel the G3 is the best phone on the market.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by doggy2965 View Post
    All phones with built in battery will seem solider. I had a Diztronic case on both a Droid Maxx and my G3 they both are very solid feeling. I also went from 720p Maxx to uhd G3 while I love the screen I don't consider it a huge difference. I don't think any of the new phones upgrades are nearly as big as they used to be. But having tried the s5,M8 and my wife has a note 3. I do feel the G3 is the best phone on the market.

While I somewhat agree, this isn't the full reason it feels cheap. The MotoX is the first smart phone I've owned without an removable battery and this is the first one I've felt this way with. The feel of the plastic cover is bad too. Just a little disappointing. I'll have to look into the screen color calibration too. Thanks for all of the input.