Anyway to Remove Carrier ID in the Notification Bar?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Like the title says, anyway to do that on an AT&T G3? I'm not rooting, so that isn't an option. But I'd be coming from a Nexus 5, so that would mess with my OCD by moving over all my notifications some.

I'd much rather have the giant Verizon logo on the phone than that garbage in my notification bar.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but rooting is the only way.
I would suggest a Launcher, Nova for example, that allows you to hide the notification bar.

Mav. :cool:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but rooting is the only way.
I would suggest a Launcher, Nova for example, that allows you to hide the notification bar.

Mav. :cool:
Kind of what I thought. I hate that AT&T does that. People complain about Verizon and their logos, but I'd take that any day over clogging my notification bar.

Roy Mustang

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I think people mostly stay away from root because they fear of getting soft bricked or they are just not that technically literate and see it like a heavy job to do.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
IDK when it all changed but thank God our carriers up here no longer pull this **** with their Logos, Splash Screen, etc.

Yes, hiding the Notification Bar is the simplest way.

BTW, I don't Root because I'm lazy and honestly looks complicated. Besides, I'm happy with Nova Prime and I may not be able to uninstall bloat ware but at least I can disable them.

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting on GSAM battery monitor where if you make sure Show Notification Icon is unchecked, the option below it says Show Notification Only. When that is checked, it seems to remove the AT&T logo. There will be a battery percentage notification in the pull down every time, but the status bar stays blank.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think people mostly stay away from root because they fear of getting soft bricked or they are just not that technically literate and see it like a heavy job to do.
Right, too often I think people who are comfortable and experienced with flashing files and such assume that everyone is just as chill.

I mean, I still remember the first time rooted my first phone. I was pretty worried about busting it. Several phones and countless ROMs later, flashing a new ROM while I waited in line for coffee wasn't out of the question... And, at least with the nexus 5, even a brick (hellscore flashed the nexus 4 kernel over my bootloader) was a minor annoyance and not a reason for full panic.

Not everyone is that comfortable.

But the G3 can be returned to full stock if needed. If someone can follow the process to root the phone, they are capable of returning it to bone stock...

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Kind of what I thought. I hate that AT&T does that. People complain about Verizon and their logos, but I'd take that any day over clogging my notification bar.

If you're willing to, you can buy the T-Mobile version outright and get it SIM-unlocked, it doesn't put the carrier ID in the notification bar, and is compatible with all of AT&T's HSPA and LTE bands except for Band 5. Which shouldn't be a big deal. You also can get a Qi charging back too, rather than being stuck with AT&T's PMA standard that no one else uses.

Why are you not rooting? I see many people talk about rooting like it's pirating software.

Rooting an LG device in particular prevents you from getting any further updates, and unrooting isn't 100% reliable in restoring said updates to function. Given that VoLTE isn't enabled in all of them yet, and there's a remote chance of an update enabling Band 12, there's some good reasons not to root the G3.

Roy Mustang

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Right, too often I think people who are comfortable and experienced with flashing files and such assume that everyone is just as chill.

I mean, I still remember the first time rooted my first phone. I was pretty worried about busting it. Several phones and countless ROMs later, flashing a new ROM while I waited in line for coffee wasn't out of the question... And, at least with the nexus 5, even a brick (hellscore flashed the nexus 4 kernel over my bootloader) was a minor annoyance and not a reason for full panic.

Not everyone is that comfortable.

But the G3 can be returned to full stock if needed. If someone can follow the process to root the phone, they are capable of returning it to bone stock...
After we master a new skill we generally tend to forget all the hard work we did in the beginning hence we automatically assume that it should be easy for everyone else too.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're willing to, you can buy the T-Mobile version outright and get it SIM-unlocked, it doesn't put the carrier ID in the notification bar, and is compatible with all of AT&T's HSPA and LTE bands except for Band 5. Which shouldn't be a big deal. You also can get a Qi charging back too, rather than being stuck with AT&T's PMA standard that no one else uses.

Is this true?? So I could go to T-Mobile's website and buy a G3 there outright and use it just fine on AT&T? What does losing Band 5 do for it? I'm ok with buying it full price. I was planning on doing that anyway.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Wow! Wish I would have known this a month ago. What exactly is band 5?

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is this true?? So I could go to T-Mobile's website and buy a G3 there outright and use it just fine on AT&T? What does losing Band 5 do for it? I'm ok with buying it full price. I was planning on doing that anyway.

There may be other things to consider. Unless T Mobile has changed their TOS, if you buy one of their devices at full price, it must be active on a T Mobile account for at least 40 days before you can sim unlock it to use on another network. For the most part using it on AT&T's network should not be a problem though. From what I'm seeing band 5 is not wide spread yet, AT&T is reframing some spectrum to expand LTE coverage using band 5. I would suggest you research it carefully before you decide to make sure that you don't run into another other issues down the road.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Wow! Wish I would have known this a month ago. What exactly is band 5?

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

Band 5 LTE is LTE running on 850 MHz. AT&T does have that running here and there where they don't have any 700 MHz spectrum to deploy on, and not enough AWS or PCS towers to reach everywhere. But it's their last resort for LTE deployment, so chances are you can live without it. Otherwise, the T-Mobile phone still supports quad-band GSM, and HSPA on 850, 1900, and AWS.

Wikh

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, US carriers are the worst things ever. Putting ugly random stuff everywhere, removing features.
The things they made with the G3 is outrageous.

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It's not too bad. US carriers just want you to stream radio stations instead of using the real radio to use up more monthly data. This is an excellent business move on their part.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not too bad. US carriers just want you to stream radio stations instead of using the real radio to use up more monthly data. This is an excellent business move on their part.
Not T-Mobile! Who knows how long it lasts, but they aren't treating their customers like indentured servents.