Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Default Re: G3...What Will Beat It?

After using Note 2 for a year and half, I think I'm ready to jump ship to LG. I didn't get the Note 3 as I hate the back cover.
    HTC M8 is awesome but is small and closed without being able to change battery. That alone is a no go.
    G3 looks impressive and Note 4 for what I have seen already from the leak photos, it will be just another Note 3 with better specs.
    For now, my verdict is G3
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,067 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    The G3 has caused a lot of discussion in this forum since before it became available. Most owners I bet now love it. What future device will match or beat it? S6? Z3? G4?

Posted via Android Central App
    MY Note 3 beats it.... I prefer AMOLED , S-pen , Touchwiz over LG's interface, and 1440p isn't a selling point for phones imo
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, that's a bit too far ahead. I don't see quantum anything in consumer electronics within the next decade. They wouldn't even be much more powerful.
    Given the potential and also security risks of quantum computing you can bet that there's some hefty government funding into research and development, even if only to be the first to develop it. A few years ago I read that the quantum state could be isolated long enough to calculate that 2×2=4 but I imagine they've got further now.
    It doesn't exactly make easy reading though. 😶

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    MY Note 3 beats it.... I prefer AMOLED , S-pen , Touchwiz over LG's interface, and 1440p isn't a selling point for phones imo
    Yes I think the 1440p will come into its own with phablets and tablets.

Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

Yes I think the 1440p will come into its own with phablets and tablets.

Indeed but for better and can't see that its worse. The direction is that most if not all flagships will have 1440p displays :-)

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    I agree, but the note 3, mine at least, signal went down hill after kit Kat. The g3 is a good choice with good signal. I was tired of being on 3g or 1x, or no signal at all on the note 3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    8,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

There have been no future devices announced that I'm aware of ... so it's not possible to know. What will beat it on the spec sheet? In what regard? The Note 4 will have better specs in many areas, but software and radios both really really really hurt Samsung. The S-Pen gives it a major edge already.

The Moto, Apple & Samsung announcements next month will probably all bring head turners that at least compete with the G3. As far as we know, the Moto will compete on every level except for the screen resolution and will have arguably substantially better software. There are a lot of very competitive choices, which is a great thing.

¯\_(
    )_/¯ Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Pro, Attentive & Helpful

P.U.P.P.A.H / Community Rules & Guidelines / Ambassador Guides / There's no magic in Root
    Thanked by 3:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

I hadn't heard of the Note Edge and it's certainly different.

The achievement in the case of the G3 is the 1440p technology, and the 5.5" small bezel display in a relatively small device.
    Whether those things are useful and worthwhile and to what degree is a different matter, but they sell the phone.

What can the other manufacturers come up with that isn't just more of the same...what the G3 is already doing?
    That Note Edge display is a good, though unusual example of that, though how effectively it would sell the phone I don't know.

Something that would be useful if it could be done, since we carry our phones on our persons, would be battery charging from body heat. I doubt it could be done, at least yet. But it would sell whatever phone that was the first to have it.

Thanks to all for your replies in this thread.☺

Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

I hadn't heard of the Note Edge and it's certainly different.

The achievement in the case of the G3 is the 1440p technology, and the 5.5" small bezel display in a relatively small device.
    Whether those things are useful and worthwhile and to what degree is a different matter, but they sell the phone.

What can the other manufacturers come up with that isn't just more of the same...what the G3 is already doing?
    That Note Edge display is a good, though unusual example of that, though how effectively it would sell the phone I don't know.

Something that would be useful if it could be done, since we carry our phones on our persons, would be battery charging from body heat. I doubt it could be done, at least yet. But it would sell whatever phone that was the first to have it.

Thanks to all for your replies in this thread.☺

Solar panel would be an option or kinetic or the technology already being studied that changes something or other that makes it 3x as efficient as current battery technology.

Yes screen tech and processor and sound and camera oh and everything else will only advance further and further.

Perhaps smartphones will have the ability to beem you up Scottie :-p

One thing is for sure we are at this point privileged to have what we do now :-)

Thanked by:
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    8,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'd be very very interested in playing with an LG G3 GPE.

¯\_(
    )_/¯ Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Pro, Attentive & Helpful

P.U.P.P.A.H / Community Rules & Guidelines / Ambassador Guides / There's no magic in Root
    Thanked by:

As BBSeattle said, it's a purely subjective term. It all depends on the user. I had the HTC One M8 and upgraded to the G3. Then went to the Sony Xperia Z2. To me, I upgraded. When it comes to processor, 2.5 vs 2.3 isn't really noticeable. Both phones have 3mb RAM. The Z2 has a better battery and slightly smaller screen. The G3 feels better in hand, but not enough to ruin the Z2 for me. I see no noticeable lag on either phone, so maybe I'm lucky. The real difference is in the battery life. My G2 had what I thought was the best battery life of any phone, until I got the Z2. I have had unprecedented longevity with the Z2. Many people get so caught up in the numbers game, but don't care enough about the actual real world usage when it comes to battery. Sure, I could have an extra battery, or a power pack, or just plug it in, but it is much more convenient to not have to worry about any of that. The G3 screen is great, but honestly not as good as it was hyped up to be. The 1080 screen on the Z2 is beautiful, and the dual front speakers are awesome. Again, this is subjective. This is *MY* opinion. I have looked at many pictures, watched a few videos, and performed all my basic day-to-day tasks with the Z2 and the battery just won't quit. I could get 24 hours out of my G3, but that was with me being very cautious. If I was out and had 40% battery life, I would hesitate to make a call, or look something up unless it was crucial. With the Z2, I don't even flinch at 30%, let alone 40. And this is my first Sony phone ever, so I'm not a fan boy. I change phones every 2-6 months and put a lot of stock in battery life. In this day, most all of the flagship phones tend to have similar specs, or perform comparably. Every company has their gimmicks just as every user has their different needs. Mine happens to be battery and the Z2 is the best I've had, so far.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    There have been no future devices announced that I'm aware of ... so it's not possible to know. What will beat it on the spec sheet? In what regard? The Note 4 will have better specs in many areas, but software and radios both really really really hurt Samsung. The S-Pen gives it a major edge already.
    Oh, please. Samsung radios have been fine since at least the S3. I've had no radio or signal issues with my phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ventura726 View Post
    As BBSeattle said, it's a purely subjective term. It all depends on the user. I had the HTC One M8 and upgraded to the G3. Then went to the Sony Xperia Z2. To me, I upgraded. When it comes to processor, 2.5 vs 2.3 isn't really noticeable. Both phones have 3mb RAM. The Z2 has a better battery and slightly smaller screen. The G3 feels better in hand, but not enough to ruin the Z2 for me. I see no noticeable lag on either phone, so maybe I'm lucky. The real difference is in the battery life. My G2 had what I thought was the best battery life of any phone, until I got the Z2. I have had unprecedented longevity with the Z2. Many people get so caught up in the numbers game, but don't care enough about the actual real world usage when it comes to battery. Sure, I could have an extra battery, or a power pack, or just plug it in, but it is much more convenient to not have to worry about any of that. The G3 screen is great, but honestly not as good as it was hyped up to be. The 1080 screen on the Z2 is beautiful, and the dual front speakers are awesome. Again, this is subjective. This is *MY* opinion. I have looked at many pictures, watched a few videos, and performed all my basic day-to-day tasks with the Z2 and the battery just won't quit. I could get 24 hours out of my G3, but that was with me being very cautious. If I was out and had 40% battery life, I would hesitate to make a call, or look something up unless it was crucial. With the Z2, I don't even flinch at 30%, let alone 40. And this is my first Sony phone ever, so I'm not a fan boy. I change phones every 2-6 months and put a lot of stock in battery life. In this day, most all of the flagship phones tend to have similar specs, or perform comparably. Every company has their gimmicks just as every user has their different needs. Mine happens to be battery and the Z2 is the best I've had, so far.
    I've been using the Z2 for a few weeks now and its a really great phone. Once you adjust the RGB values, the screen is stunning. Battery is great, software (Xreality ,Bravia Engine etc) is superb. Camera is great. Its really hard to fault.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cgisoul View Post
    After using Note 2 for a year and half, I think I'm ready to jump ship to LG. I didn't get the Note 3 as I hate the back cover.
    HTC M8 is awesome but is small and closed without being able to change battery. That alone is a no go.
    G3 looks impressive and Note 4 for what I have seen already from the leak photos, it will be just another Note 3 with better specs.
    For now, my verdict is G3
    I can beat it gimme the phone and id break it guess it can crack it with bare hands so it should be fun
    belodion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    One must remember 1440 super amoled and some believe this to be the holy grail of screen technology lol jokes aside the Note 4 will be great and have some interesting features no doubt ;-P

Actually. A test between the 2k screen comparison between the G3, Find 7, and S5 LTE-A (Amoled) proved that the LTE-A had the best looking display and the G3 had the worst of the 2k screens.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

I've never owned a Sammy but their displays when I've seen them lit up in stores are very impressive although of course that's max brightness and special vivid colour demo videos. Was this an objective test of some sort or just the subjective judgments of a number of passers-by?

I've never owned a Sammy but their displays when I've seen them lit up in stores are very impressive although of course that's max brightness and special vivid colour demo videos. Was this an objective test of some sort or just the subjective judgments of a number of passers-by?

Don't know if this is what the prior poster was referring to, but here's one instrumented, objective test:

AnandTech | Evaluating Samsung's QHD AMOLED Displays
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Don't know if this is what the prior poster was referring to, but here's one instrumented, objective test:

AnandTech | Evaluating Samsung's QHD AMOLED Displays
    That was a very interesting read and thank you for the link. Both the S5 and this new quadHD S5 do indeed score highly in everything except the brightness test. Interesting to compare with my two Androids, N5 and G3. Only one thing puts me off the Sammies....the button layout, e.g. back button on the right rather than left as I am used to. A very small point but an important one. You'd think they'd make them customisable to attract more buyers.

That was a very interesting read and thank you for the link. Both the S5 and this new quadHD S5 do indeed score highly in everything except the brightness test. Interesting to compare with my two Androids, N5 and G3. Only one thing puts me off the Sammies....the button layout, e.g. back button on the right rather than left as I am used to. A very small point but an important one. You'd think they'd make them customisable to attract more buyers.

One of the most interesting things about the Samsungs new QHD screen is that it uses less power thus giving more battery life and causing less heat and thermal throttling. The S5 805 Vs G3 805 Antutu scores show this.
    Thanked by:

I suspect if you got a Samsung device you'd get used to the buttons very quickly.

Regarding brightness, the regular S5 has an interesting feature. If the ambient light is very bright (e.g., sunlight), and you have brightness set to auto, it will ramp up even brighter than it will indoors. I haven't seen this documented in any of the specs, but one screen test (displaymate, maybe) found this to be true. I don't know if the S5 LTE-A does the same thing, but I suspect so.

Edit: here it is: Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out

A little ways down, under Results Highlights:

Even more impressive is that when Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S5 hits an incredible 698 cd/m2 in high Ambient Light, where high Screen Brightness is really needed, which is 47 percent brighter than the Galaxy S4 and 6 percent brighter than the Note 3 with Automatic Brightness turned On – it’s the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. An impressive achievement for OLED technology!

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

^^^ Yes, that very high brightness level was not mentioned in the first test (and when I mentioned brightness in my previous post I meant manual, not auto which of course is higher). I have been strongly attracted to Samsung devices for some time, because of their displays. Even if the button layout were right for me, I'm not sure I could afford. But when the Note 4 becomes available I may be unable to resist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123