Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    So, I'm on my 2nd G3 after returning the 1st due to poor reception. However, things are no better!

    I'm on O2 in the UK and have done a number of comparisons against my old iphone 5 and my work Galaxy S3. The dbm on my G3 is always around 8-10 dbm worse. I get around 10 dropouts on my 25 minute drive to work, my iPhone drops out once.

    What I want to know is, am I just unlucky and have received 2 dodgy phones or are there lots of people having similar issues?

    I've read some comments saying the G3 reception is great. I don't seem to have a problem on 4G, but GPRS and HSPA just can't seem to hang on to a signal in weaker areas.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    There are some threads from other UK users a very long way down, posted when the G3 was new to the UK, describing similar issues, so you're not alone, and some US users have similar trouble.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default

    Well I'm on EE and all is well and have compared the G3 with the Note 3 briefly before i sold it and the G3 was marginally better.

    As between the G3 and Xperia Z2 about the same but haven't felt the need to do in depth studies.

    Not sure if its a case of bad luck, but I would fall under the first batch and usually there are issues but nope all has been very well indeed.

    Its not a generic thing obviously so it must be bad luck to get served up with two defective products.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    Murph5150's Avatar

    Posts
    836 Posts
    ROM
    Euroskank CM10

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klanbo View Post
    So, I'm on my 2nd G3 after returning the 1st due to poor reception. However, things are no better!

    I'm on O2 in the UK and have done a number of comparisons against my old iphone 5 and my work Galaxy S3. The dbm on my G3 is always around 8-10 dbm worse. I get around 10 dropouts on my 25 minute drive to work, my iPhone drops out once.

    What I want to know is, am I just unlucky and have received 2 dodgy phones or are there lots of people having similar issues?

    I've read some comments saying the G3 reception is great. I don't seem to have a problem on 4G, but GPRS and HSPA just can't seem to hang on to a signal in weaker areas.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    I have the same problem. On my second G3 because I sound like I'm in a tunnel. But my dBm reading in the G3 has been 15-20 points higher.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    So it seems more likely that there is perhaps a faulty batch. When looking through the forums, the issues only seem to be with O2 or Three, does anyone on EE or Vodafone have reception / signal issues.

    Also, just to add a bit more detail about the issue, I'm at home in the exactly the same spot and my signal is fluctuating between 2 and 5 bars (83 to 105 dbm) and keeps jumping between HSPA and HSPAP. It's not that one connection type is weak and the other is strong either, they can both get a strong signal. Bizarre!

    Might have to risk getting a 3rd phone to see if I get lucky next time :-)

    Posted via the Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I work for AT&T near the Chicagoland area, and we have had almost half of the G3's we have sold returned due to signal issues in fringe areas, it seems that it works great in LTE but anything in HSPA area its getting horrible data connection and bad call reception.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksmi55 View Post
    I work for AT&T near the Chicagoland area, and we have had almost half of the G3's we have sold returned due to signal issues in fringe areas, it seems that it works great in LTE but anything in HSPA area its getting horrible data connection and bad call reception.
    I don't know if it's related but my wife had a G3 for a week and the signal bars would fluctuate from one bar to 4 bars every few seconds while my HTC M8 stayed locked on a full 5 bars, sitting side by side.
  8. #8  
    Murph5150's Avatar

    Posts
    836 Posts
    ROM
    Euroskank CM10

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    I don't know if it's related but my wife had a G3 for a week and the signal bars would fluctuate from one bar to 4 bars every few seconds while my HTC M8 stayed locked on a full 5 bars, sitting side by side.
    Not sure that's a big deal. I'd check both your dBm's and see if they fluctuate like your signal bars. My guess is they'll be more constant.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    My wifi on lg g3 is weaker than my s5 range sucks
  10. #10  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by raw2000j View Post
    My wifi on lg g3 is weaker than my s5 range sucks
    For wi-fi did you test with speedtest? I didn't compare to s5 but my G3 is far superior to wi-fi on my old G3.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I've just got my 3rd G3 and finally things are looking up. I'm in Dubai and they are much cheaper here so took a chance. As well as signal issues i had back home on my old G3, the heat issue was much worse, although admittedly it's 45 degrees here.

    Picked up a 32gb white version and where my old phone was getting up to 80 degrees, this one hasn't gone much past 60 (and i am sat on the beach typing this and it's HOT!)

    Can't really comment on signal yet as I'm roaming and have 5 bars most of the time on both old and new G3's here. It seems like the signal, heat and battery drain might all be related.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I am on AT&T and have not had an issue at all. I just switched from verizon after 15 years and I am very surprised on how well the service works on AT&T it's much better than what I got on Verizon.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Don't forge to vote! Your vote counts!
    Support thr 9-12 Project
  13. #13  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    T-Mobile unit here... No signal issues on Wi-FI, LTE or HSPA, Wi-Fi. Haven't had any issues and it's been performing pretty much on par with the other phones I've had.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I'll chime in. I'm still on my first Verizon G3 here in the states, but I am going in to have it replaced this weekend. Same issue. Spotty reception. I'll have 2-3 bars of 4G strength, then it'll just drop completely off and switch to 3G without being moved. Then it'll drop to 1X which doesn't work any longer here, so no surfing. Switching to airplane mode and back only helps sometimes. Other times I have to completely reboot the phone. I'm hoping it's just a bad phone, and not an under lying problem with the G3's radio.
    Proud owner of: Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon 64GB & White LG G2
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, M8, White LG G3, and iPhone 6
  15. #15  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    I'll chime in. I'm still on my first Verizon G3 here in the states, but I am going in to have it replaced this weekend. Same issue. Spotty reception. I'll have 2-3 bars of 4G strength, then it'll just drop completely off and switch to 3G without being moved. Then it'll drop to 1X which doesn't work any longer here, so no surfing. Switching to airplane mode and back only helps sometimes. Other times I have to completely reboot the phone. I'm hoping it's just a bad phone, and not an under lying problem with the G3's radio.
    Same issues here on AT&T. Been through 3 phones.. All do it
  16. #16  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I have the exact same issue with my lg g3 with o2.

    4g seems fine/better, anything else I can't even load a webpage.

    Movement seems to be a big issue too, I rarely get signal driving, much worse than my s4 with 3 on 3g.

    I'm getting a new SIM to rule that out but it looks like a software issue (I hope, rather than hardware)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    My signal is fixed finally. AT&T finally fixed the tower near me this morning.

    Posted via LG G3.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I really hope this is a software issue too as I'm still having a signal problem on my 3rd phone, although no overheating with this latest one and no lag either (it's the 32gb international version).

    Don't suppose anyone knows anything about a potential fix coming?

    Posted via the Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klanbo View Post
    I really hope this is a software issue too as I'm still having a signal problem on my 3rd phone, although no overheating with this latest one and no lag either (it's the 32gb international version).

    Don't suppose anyone knows anything about a potential fix coming?

    Posted via the Android Central App
    I called LG and AT&T .. Both say we haven't had any issues that they have heard of. Which is bull.. Unfortunately I love this phone, but I keep losing cell signal and data constantly new dimension and reset network did not help. Got a new Galaxy s5 active and knock on wood no problems. I just couldn't wait to see if it's just an update fix. I've missed several calls already from my wife..
  20. #20  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    2 days in no issues for me. My signal has been 4-5 bars constantly. 40down/20up.

    Posted via LG G3.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    The problem exists. If you are in a good signal area..things are rosy. What I've noticed the past month is that google voice to text isn't a fast as it was on my Note 2 and areas where I was able to surf with 1 bar of signal on the Note2 (my desk for instance) is a PITA with the G3 that is showing 2 or 3 bars.

    I still love the phone though!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
    The problem exists. If you are in a good signal area..things are rosy. What I've noticed the past month is that google voice to text isn't a fast as it was on my Note 2 and areas where I was able to surf with 1 bar of signal on the Note2 (my desk for instance) is a PITA with the G3 that is showing 2 or 3 bars.

    I still love the phone though!
    I hope things get better for you..I just switched to the S5 Active. I mean what a difference. Areas where I had little to no signal with the g3, I have 3 bar's with the Active. And Everything Is Much faster. Even Google search..
  23. #23  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Take your G3 and a different phone - (2nd phone same carrier and LTE/G4 capable) and put them side by side. Browse to
    SpeedOf.Me, HTML5 Speed Test | Non Flash/Java Broadband Speed Test and test the speed - wi-fi off and wi-fi on. Don't trust the signal strength bars on carrier's stock ROMs. You have to use an objective method like this to test.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    Doesn't really matter if the stock Rom displays accurate db's or not, it still drops signal completely when it hits around 113db on 3G, which it often does, so is a problem regardless.

    I have 2 G3's and have put an EE SIM in one and o2 in the other. EE seems to be less affected by the drop outs, which makes me think the problem might be with a particular bandwidth that o2 use.

    Also, I noticed that on the EE SIM, I sometimes get '3G' showing on the notification bar (UMTS in network info) but get 'H' on o2 and never 3G. Is that just because o2 have upgraded the masts I connect to?

    Posted via the Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: LG G3 signal - generic issue or just a few faulty phones?

    I've think I've got to the bottom of the problem with my reception.

    I got two free 3 sims, and put one into my G3 and my old Samsung Galaxy 3. The reception on both was virtually the same, until the signal got below EDGE (2G). The Galaxy would continue to receive a phone signal, but the G3 just gives up.

    It would seem to be a problem with the 2G reception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 04:14 PM
  2. Alcohol bath or not?
    By sixstringer23 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 12:38 AM
  3. s5 phone dialer
    By stevemustang in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 12:52 AM
  4. Native phone dialer
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
  5. Computer recognizes my phone as a camera not a Phone
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions