Anyone use phone as GPS in car

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My phones tend to overheat when I use a car dock attached to the windshield and the batteries drain pretty fast. I'm worried this phone might shut down in the sun. Anyone have experience with this?

Posted via Android Central App

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I attach my phone to the dashboard near my radio so the sun does not directly hit it. So far it works great no real battery drain it actually charges while using the GPS.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My phones tend to overheat when I use a car dock attached to the windshield and the batteries drain pretty fast. I'm worried this phone might shut down in the sun. Anyone have experience with this?

I have the same issue. I put my phone on my leg and drive. I think it's a combination of sunlight and the screen constantly staying on.

Posted via the Android Central App

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used navigation yesterday, noticed it did get warm, but not sure from what. I had it plugged in and also noticed it was barely keeping it charged. I'm using a car charger that is 2.1 amp and it works fine on the other phones.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

dougxd45

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Get an air vent mount and run the air conditioner while it's charging. Keeps it cool while you use it. I run gps and use bluetooth streaming to listen to podcasts on the way to work and keep it plugged in to charge it too. Works like a champ.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My other phones do all that without having to rig it to work. G3 phone is good phone, but like all phones, it has issues to work around

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

salena_3d

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone's GPS all the time. If you have a CD player that you're not using, you can use a mount to attach it there or you can attach your mount to your air vent. I have an Exogear mount.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sun? Not an issue in Seattle....:p

Use GPS regularly with dashboard mount, gets warm but no overheating (or warning/shutdown).

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3, and it gets really hot as well running GPS with the screen on the whole time. It also tends to start locking up the phone (though likely less of an issue with the G3) and burning data, due to regular map downloading. Now, I simply turn off the screen on long stretches of highway. Google Maps also now has an option to turn the screen off in between turns, but I do it manually. It saves data, saves battery, and DEFINITELY keeps the phone cooler. Plus, if you don't realize you're coming up to a turn, it will still read out instructions with the screen off.