LG G3 gets very hot when in idle mode.

Oxygene77

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I work nights and sometimes I got 40% battery drop in 2hrs, phone gets very hot, I check cpu freq and is mainly running on full, I can't really find the cause, it looks one of the google services is eating up battery. It really drives me crazy, I can be without a phone within 12hrs because of this problem.... any sugestions?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I work nights and sometimes I got 40% battery drop in 2hrs, phone gets very hot, I check cpu freq and is mainly running on full, I can't really find the cause, it looks one of the google services is eating up battery. It really drives me crazy, I can be without a phone within 12hrs because of this problem.... any sugestions?

One of the first places I would look is in settings > apps > running - and see if any app or apps are constantly running that may be the cause. If you don't find any problem there the next place I would look would be any accounts that you have have syncing to the phone. It could be that an account is stuck trying to constantly sync data. Remove and then add the accounts back to see if it clears the issue. Lastly you could wipe the cache partition as it may just be some bad cache file causing an issue.

Oxygene77

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
No apps running in the background, all sync off. I've read that Google Services try to get physycal location. While my phone in the locker, there is no signal, so it got stuck, they sugest to turn GPS, to GPS only mode, and unistall Google Services and the install again, I did that but need time to see if it works. And in Location turn off Google Location Reporting (2 items to off).

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While my phone in the locker, there is no signal

There's your problem - No signal. The phone will work very hard to find a signal, all the radios will consume a lot of power trying to connect. Put your phone into airplane mode or just turn if off while it's in your locker.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I am curious as to why you would keep the phone powered ON when it is in your locker and you know it doesn't get signal in there.

That's your problem with the battery drain and phone heating up.

Case closed.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
There's your problem - No signal. The phone will work very hard to find a signal, all the radios will consume a lot of power trying to connect. Put your phone into airplane mode or just turn if off while it's in your locker.

This is absolutely the cause. Like the other poster also stated, turn off the phone or put it in airplane mode while in the locker.

Posted via Android Central App

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So why my old iphone 4s didn't have that issue?

Lithium polymer battery in iPhone plus half the size (battery) of the G3. The 4S, because it has very little mAh, there is probably a sleep mode on it. That's my guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

LGElectronics

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am sorry to hear about the overheating issue you are experiencing with your G3. Can you tell me what carrier and software version you are currently on? Also, pls send a screenshot of your battery usage summary.^MA