Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Google Now always listening

Has anyone tried Google Now's always listening option on the G3 yet? I'd love to use it but curious what it would do to my battery. I've still got new phone syndrome too badly to know what normal battery life is so I can't really test it myself yet. That would sound silly if all of you hadn't experienced new phone syndrome too and know exactly what I mean.

Default Re: Google Now always listening

Hadn't even thought of battery use... doesnt seem to use much at all. I still get out of work with 50% battery so I don't think of it. Just try it for a week and if you notice unacceptable battery usage then disable it. I don't use it often but nice to have when i do need it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickc122 View Post
    Has anyone tried Google Now's always listening option on the G3 yet? I'd love to use it but curious what it would do to my battery. I've still got new phone syndrome too badly to know what normal battery life is so I can't really test it myself yet. That would sound silly if all of you hadn't experienced new phone syndrome too and know exactly what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by nickc122 View Post
    I haven't experienced any unusual battery issues from it. The big battery drain is the screen from what I have seen.

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

It's working great for me and no problem with battery drain.

Are you meaning the OK google bit? I've not noticed any real drain from it. Did notice that you actually need to have the google search bar on your home screen. Was hoping that it would just pick up the "OK Google" bit without it, as it takes up a bit of screen real estate

You don't need the search bar. If you notice, you can even say OK Google on your lockscreen if you set it.

Quote Originally Posted by albie999 View Post
    Are you meaning the OK google bit? I've not noticed any real drain from it. Did notice that you actually need to have the google search bar on your home screen. Was hoping that it would just pick up the "OK Google" bit without it, as it takes up a bit of screen real estate

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    You don't need the search bar. If you notice, you can even say OK Google on your lockscreen if you set it.
    Ah OK .. so where do I find the setting for this?

Ah OK, so I found the option, but it is greyed out. Is this only available on US - English, rather than UK - English? I remember when they first rolled out the OK Google with search bar, it wasn't available accept on US - English

The OK Google on the lock screen is only available in English if you try and have the language set at something other than English it will gray out the lock screen option. So just keep it set at English and it will work great. And it really has not impacted my battery life at all. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty729 View Post
    The OK Google on the lock screen is only available in English if you try and have the language set at something other than English it will gray out the lock screen option. So just keep it set at English and it will work great. And it really has not impacted my battery life at all. Hope this helps.

Mine is set to English, I presume, as I am English in the UK .. but still greyed?

Mine is set to English, I presume, as I am English in the UK .. but still greyed?
    The lock screen option stays greyed out until you select the any screen option. Have you selected the any screen and it's still greyed out?

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    The lock screen option stays greyed out until you select the any screen option. Have you selected the any screen and it's still greyed out?
    The from Any screen option was also greyed out. What I had to do is change the Languages to Primary : English (US) Others : English (UK). Now it seems to be working

The from Any screen option was also greyed out. What I had to do is change the Languages to Primary : English (US) Others : English (UK). Now it seems to be working
    Glad you got it sorted out. Maybe Google will add more language support soon.