On The Fence - LG G3 or Note 4

GrassyKnoll312

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Friends, this stands as my first post. I've been teetering on the fence about spending the upgrade plunge and getting the LG G3. However, as I have researched extensively (paralysis by analysis) I find that there are genuine concerns with the device. As there are with most devices I'm sure. The issues I've read are
Lag and stutter (there for some not for others)
Dim lackluster screen (I tend to agree here)
Over heating screen
Average or below battery life
AUX connection issues
Over sharpening of fine text
Incompatible aps from the ap store
And a host of other random varying issues

I really like the build and size of this device and tend to like the UI. This would be a huge upgrade for me indeed. Im trying to hold out until the Note 4 so I can compare but impatience is getting the best of me. Those who own it, do you recommend? Those who returned it, why?

Talk me off the ledge or push me off because I can't seem to decide. Leaning toward holding out for the N4 so I can compare. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I had doubts before I bought because of concerns about this and that raised here and there....lag, radio signal, display sharpening artefacts, low brightness. Nevertheless I bought, and haven't regretted for one moment. But then, none of those issues has turned out to be an issue for me. One or two minor glitches, but easily put right by Soft Reset. Am a UK user of an unlocked device.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The G3 has very few issues if any from what I can see the only two I have experienced is slow email client and random screen touch issues which can both be fixed with software update.
It performs well and by far the fastest device on the market!

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep waiting and when the note 4 comes out don't worry because there will be another device on the horizon to wait for. Eventually smartphones will be obsolete so wait till the very last one is made that way you'll be sure you've got the best one. You only have today mate tomorrow never comes.

Steve/Boanerges Performance

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Steve here... Waiting for the next best thing will result in you never getting anything. By the time the note is released, there will be cool, new devices about to be dropped.

I jumped from a Nexus 5 to the G3 and couldn't be happier. I haven't had any if the issues that others have reported and it's been a great experience to this point.

About the complaints, keep in mind that this is a new device, so there isn't an established group of people here. New users that have issues do a Google search, see posts here with the same issue and come to get help. So the end result is an inordinate number of people reporting problems... Happy customers aren't nearly as vocal as unsatisfied ones and they take longer to find their way here.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
About the complaints, keep in mind that this is a new device, so there isn't an established group of people here. New users that have issues do a Google search, see posts here with the same issue and come to get help. So the end result is an inordinate number of people reporting problems... Happy customers aren't nearly as vocal as unsatisfied ones and they take longer to find their way here.

You're spot on with this assessment. You can go to just about any thread on any forum on any device and find them littered with posters reporting issues and looking for solutions. It is the nature of the forums, people have a problem and seek out answers. In contrast the droves of people happy with their devices rarely posts their level of satisfaction.

To the OP, there will always be that next device coming down the line. At some point you will have to pull the trigger and get whatever device makes you happy and only you can decide that. I used a Note 3 for about three weeks before my son took it over. It is a good device just not for me and I expect that I would have the same feelings with a Note 4. I've owned many Samsung devices and while they are good phones, I find that the G3 is better for me. Of all the issues you noted, I have not experienced any. My G3 has worked flawlessly and I enjoy it more and more each day.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The issues I've read are
In everyday use I rarely notice lag or stutter. When I do see it it tends to be stock apps. Like the stock texting app and stock keyboard steamed to randomly lag for me, so I switched to hangouts and Google keyboard. Problem fixed, but even when it did stutter, it was nothing compared to a Touchwiz device like the S4 or S5.

I disagree. I think the screen is great. If you turn it on full brightness and place it next to the HTC M8 it looks really good. The problem is that auto brightness sucks. It constantly keeps the screen too dim making it look dull when inside. But when you step outside and it kicks in the screen is fine. And I have experience with dull screens having owned the Sony Z1.

Over heating screen
This was something I was concerned about being I work outside. I routinely turn auto brightness off and keep my screen on 70% while working outside in 90° weather and have not once gotten this alert. And the phone is in my front pocket streaming music all day long so I wouldn't worry about it overheating.

For me, using LTE only and no WiFi, I get better than my M8 but a little less than the S5 or Note 3. Basically, hooked to LG G Watch and stereo Bluetooth headphones streaming music over 8 hours via LTE I still get at least 3 hours of screen on time and it lasts all day, which is pretty good IMO(not great, but better than most).

AUX connection issues
No idea.

Text looks great to me but everyone is different.

I have seen one but it was a game. I wouldn't worry about this as much bc developers will have to adopt being more devices will come out with this resolution. If you are worried about a specific app just ask and I will check for you.

Honeslty biggest issue for me is crappy auto brightness. It works but tends to be 1 to 2 seconds slow. It doesn't sound bad but it is noticeable.

Talk me off the ledge or push me off because I can't seem to decide. Leaning toward holding out for the N4 so I can compare. Thank you for your time and feedback.

LG G3 is a fine phone and my daily driver. And I have had pretty much every phone released in the past year(I have issues ). The M8 and Nexus 5 are faster, but marginally. I also prefer Sense over LG 's skin, but in all fairness LG has really improved theirs.
I would not wait for some hypothetical new phone to come out bc like stated above, you will wait forever. But if you want to compare to another specific phone, like the Note 4, and we know it will be announced in 3 weeks, I would at least wait the 3 weeks just to alleviate buyers remorse.
But, remember that the Note 4 will cost well over $750 and you can grab a brand new G3 right now for under $600.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Friends, this stands as my first post. I've been teetering on the fence about spending the upgrade plunge and getting the LG G3. However, as I have researched extensively (paralysis by analysis) I find that there are genuine concerns with the device. As there are with most devices I'm sure. The issues I've read are
Over heating screen
AUX connection issues

I really like the build and size of this device and tend to like the UI. This would be a huge upgrade for me indeed. Im trying to hold out until the Note 4 so I can compare but impatience is getting the best of me. Those who own it, do you recommend? Those who returned it, why?

The issues you listed were present in my wife's G3. We returned it after a week. It asked us to make too many compromises.
A glance at any message board lets you know these issues exist across the board. Obviously you've done your research, which actually makes your decision easier. Read up on the issues people are having with the other devices you are considering and get an idea of where each device stands in terms of bugs and defects.
Ultimately you have a 14 day test drive. Purchase a G3 and put it through its paces. That is the only sure fire method. You'll experience either all, some or none of the issues you listed. If you notice some of the flaws, you have to decide if you're willing to put up with them to or not. Do the strengths outweigh the flaws for you? For example, are you willing to accept the overheating (If that happens) because you enjoy the bigger screen? Or will you not accept anything less than a smooth user experience from your device out of the box? My wife went to the G2 because it has a smooth, error free performance and user experience with exception of the knock on, which was hit or miss. I chose the HTC m8. It's renowned for its exemplary and mature user experience and performance. I gave up a bit of screen real estate and the device can be slippery but it performs like a champ without fail.
So I say test drive a G3 since you obviously have your eye on it.
Good luck!

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
S5 to M8 to G3. G3 is by far my favorite. None of the performance problems of the s5(I run nova) and a much better form factor than the M8. Battery life is similar across the board, nod probably going to S5.

The display does oversharpen some things, my only complaint. Its plenty bright on the golf course for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
First let's remember you are asking on the "Lg G3 Forum"; if you've paid attention, objective point of views are not running rampant around here.
If you were to ask the same question at the Note 4 Forum you would get a polar opposite response....
Lag and stutter (there for some not for others) - It's relative, is it as fluid as a Note 3, M8....no. If it were, there would not be as many posts here and elsewhere regarding this. You will find plenty of posts here alone of members trying to "tweek" the G3 through the hidden menus to get rid of the "lag"....give that some serious thought. I find the phone to be plenty fast.
Dim lackluster screen (I tend to agree here) - Again relative, is it as bright and brilliant as the S5 or Note 3...no. But standing alone (not comparing head to head) for everyday use I find the screen does not need to be. It is a nice screen and works just fine.
Over heating screen - Regardless of what you hear, this is an issue for very many owners. I do not experience this issue because I do not play games, record long videos or watch hours of Youtube (nor do I have the phone sitting in the sun for hours). I keep the screen at 75% and have yet to experience this issue. If you do any of the things I mentioned above, you might seriously consider the Note 4.
Average or below battery life - I found the battery comparable to the Note 3 and the Note 3 battery life was remarkable. But again, I do not do many of things that are considered battery hogs.
AUX connection issues - Clearly a lot of people are having these issues (check this forum and others). I do not have these issues; I think that some are simply getting defective units. If you experience anything remotely close to these issues I would return the phone and not spend time on the forum asking people how to fix an issue that is clearly hardware related and absolutely unacceptable.
Over sharpening of fine text - I do not see this, then again maybe my eyes are just too old. Texts looks great, no issues reading, etc.
Incompatible aps from the app store - I have not run into this but obviously some have. I guess it depends on if you need the apps that people are having issues with.
It sounds as though you have serious concerns about the G3, so why not wait a few weeks? I agree that waiting for the next best thing is a frustrating game in itself but again, we are only talking a few weeks. I do not need you to like or to buy this phone, for me it's been just fine. As mentioned I do not suffer from some of the common issues and all of the flagships phones are plenty fast for me (I cannot distinguish milliseconds).
Let's talk about some of the real positives:
Great camera, picture quality is fantastic and the focusing is very fast.
Size, ergonomics - best large phone for practical day to day use. You get a smaller form factor but all the benefits of a big screen.
Aesthetics/Build quality - Best looking phone on the market today (my opinion). Feels solid...
Buttons on the back - I hated the original concept....not sure I would want a phone now with the traditional button placement.
Knock - Great feature
Circle Case - Great accessory if you are into that kind of thing.
Wireless Charging - Will not buy a phone without it.
Home buttons - You can disable the onscreen buttons so you have a full screen on selected apps.
I like the phone, it does everything I ask of it very well. But again my needs may not be your needs; if mine were to "overheat" because of how I use it, or the AUX did not work, I would take it back immediately. This is in no way acceptable.
You've clearly taken the time to research the G3, why not take the same time patience to research the N4 when it is released. At the end of the day it's you that needs to like the phone you purchase.

GrassyKnoll312

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate each of you taking the time out of your day to reply. I agree that you can't always wait for the next big thing. I'm that guy who goes full term contract and then forgets the contract has expired. So I'm not exactly a spec chaser. At any rate, I have gotten a lot of good info by reading about the devices in your comments and watching YouTube reviews.
Again, thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Take all those cons you listed, then do the same with the other phones you are looking to upgrade to.

Choose the one with less cons on the list. Done!

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the exact boat as you except I'm coming from IOS world. I'm done with boring Apple and want android. I have been doing some research my head hurts. I had finally settled on the G3 and went to my ATT store to start the upgrade process. When I got there I tight I would play with the phone one more time just to make sure it's what I wanted. While I was there TWO people were returning their G3 phones. One of them noticed I was checking out the LG and said "don't waste you time". That's a word for word quote. He was on his 2nd one in two weeks for various issues including the overheating issue as well as bluetooth issues not keeping sync. So now I'm back to square one. I think I'm going to wait and see what Moto, Nexus and the Note 4 will bring.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the exact boat as you except I'm coming from IOS world. I'm done with boring Apple and want android. I have been doing some research my head hurts. I had finally settled on the G3 and went to my ATT store to start the upgrade process. When I got there I tight I would play with the phone one more time just to make sure it's what I wanted. While I was there TWO people were returning their G3 phones. One of them noticed I was checking out the LG and said "don't waste you time". That's a word for word quote. He was on his 2nd one in two weeks for various issues including the overheating issue as well as bluetooth issues not keeping sync. So now I'm back to square one. I think I'm going to wait and see what Moto, Nexus and the Note 4 will bring.

Well you'll never know now whether that device was OK lol

Of the many millions of G3's sold only a few if you look at the scale are effected to the point you have to return.

Like all things mass produced you will get defective units.

I would of checked out and atleast of given it a trial to see if all was OK.

I gather there will be issues with the Note 4 and Moto X ect it happens.

The day where there is not one single issue with any device well not worth coming out with anything here other than it won't happen lol

Good luck with whatever you choose & can understand its hard with options available :)

Posted via the Android Central App

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My recommendation is to to wait until after the first week of September if you can. Note 4 and Moto x+1 will be announced and that should be pretty much everything for the year. Also, expect the G3 to have more discounts due to the iphone 6 coming out.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
This is why I questioned (thread in General) Carrier's modifying OEM?

I've only been with Bell for less than a year but even than 4 years with Rogers, I've only had 1-2 issues with my toys, the S5 was one of them. Waking up with Black Screen and Charging, I exchanged it and no problems whatsoever. My G3 had lag but after Nova Prime, IDK it just disappeared(?) but more importantly BOTH are on ART and are performing EVEN BETTER.

The only issue I had from OP's list is the over heating but again it was my fault. Hot day, in the car with direct sunlight and streaming YouTube. It's strange I've never put any of my other phones in that situation but for reason I did with the G3. I got a warning but that's it.

Why can't OP buy the G3 and return if he/she is not happy with it?

Grifter9931

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There is always a better device on the horizon. It's the same with anything you purchase. I keep hearing the wonders of the of M8's speakers and the screen on the S5 and how smooth the Nexus phones run and in my honest opinion, none of those devices really have anything I consider quintessential in terms of day to day use.

I am not saying that those devices are bad or subpar, it's just one of those things that always comes up when it comes to new devices. If it fits your everyday needs then it's the best device to you. When the new iPhone or note 4 or moto whatever drops, look at that forum and read the same things that users will end up griping about.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Why not just install a 3rd party email client?

The G3 has very few issues if any from what I can see the only two I have experienced is slow email client and random screen touch issues which can both be fixed with software update.
It performs well and by far the fastest device on the market!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
You can wait for the note 4. But Iike others said. There's always something new around the corner. When the note 4 releases you will see complaints just like with other phones. Go to any forum and you see the same. Both
complaints and praises.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20