Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting the AT&T LG G3

How simple is the process? Can I just root with Towelroot? Or is there a certain process? Curious of everyone's experience rooting this device.

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Default Re: Rooting the AT&T LG G3

Quote Originally Posted by xamadeix View Post
    How simple is the process? Can I just root with Towelroot? Or is there a certain process? Curious of everyone's experience rooting this device.

Thanks!

Purpledrake i believe only way u could root last i heard towelroot doesnt work on the new firmware

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

I used ioroot. Was rooted in 2 minutes.

Edit: I've read that towelroot works, though.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks!

I'm not sure with American variants, towelroot works on the D855 but only if you have not installed the latest updates (v10a only).

There are others Iroot, purpledrake the latter does work on v10g but iroot does not.

This will vary and it won't do no harm to try towelroot, it will either work or it won't.

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

As far as I know, there hasn't been an update for the AT&T G3. ioroot and towelroot should work on any AT&T G3.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well I don't think the ATT version has received any updates yet. I have 4.4.2.

Updates don't effect that build unless its a 4.4.3 or to 4.4.4.

Check your software version?

But its clear you haven't updated though lol

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

You should be looking at your build number. You should be on 10d, which will be fine for either ioroot or towelroot. Both should be very simple 2-5 minute process roots.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yep. ATT hasn't rolled out any updates for this phone yet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rooting the AT&T LG G3-4502.jpg  

TowelRoot worked on my AT&T variant. It took like 15 seconds. Seemed to easy. Verified with Root Checker.

And what do you do for a "recovery " and backup? I'm not clear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    And what do you do for a "recovery " and backup? I'm not clear on that.
    as of now threre is no custom recovery until the bootloader gets unlocked. Titanium backup can be used to backup files and restore them that way. once the bootloader gets unlocked that will allow custom recovery and roms to be used

also there is a new root method out called stump root and is VERY easy to use

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    Myn's Two point Two Rls 5

T-Mo 10c here. Rooted with Stump Root two days ago. Works like a champ.

If I've been helpful to you in some such way or another, kindly hit the "Thanks" button on the bottom right.. Appreciate it!

So you can root before unlocking?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    So you can root before unlocking?
    Yeah. Just grab Towelroot. Its easy.. If your on ATT though. Not sure which device you have.

Posted via LG G3.

Yeah. Just grab Towelroot. Its easy.. If your on ATT though. Not sure which device you have.

Posted via LG G3.
    Yeah. AT&T. So maybe my understanding of Custom Recovery is wrong. Is there anything to do to "backup" or "safeguard" before rooting?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogAC View Post
    Yeah. AT&T. So maybe my understanding of Custom Recovery is wrong. Is there anything to do to "backup" or "safeguard" before rooting?
    Rooting is just system access, like what you'll find on windows...

Its what you do after that can cause problems depending if you know what your doing vs not having a clue lol

So just stick to tested modules and all will be fine G3 tweakbox 1.2 offers up quite a lot and should meet your requirements :-)

OK, one more question. I have my G3 off-contract with AT&T. Should I get the thing carrier-unlocked before I root?

As far as I know AT&T has not released an update yet.
    I'm using 4.4.2 v10d and rooted in less than 30 seconds with towel root.

Wow you actually paid that stupid price for an off contract G3 and it still has all the bloatware.
    To answer your question though, you can root first or after it doesn't matter.
    If you truly paid for it off contract their should be no problem getting the unlock code from them over the phone.
    If you get the phone on contract you will have to wait to get it from them after the contract is up.
    Unless you pay someone to get you the unlock code but why pay when you can get it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidHabit View Post
    Wow you actually paid that stupid price for an off contract G3 and it still has all the bloatware.
    To answer your question though, you can root first or after it doesn't matter.
    If you truly paid for it off contract their should be no problem getting the unlock code from them over the phone.
    If you get the phone on contract you will have to wait to get it from them after the contract is up.
    Unless you pay someone to get you the unlock code but why pay when you can get it for free.
    Yeah... sucks. LG won't sell direct and Best Buy and others are not selling a SIM -unlocked, bootloader -unlocked G3. So the only thing you can get is a carrier -branded device. Along with the usual garbage, non-removable Facebook and Twitter and the truly scummy Carrier IQ. They (AT&T) also completely kill the onboard FM radio .
    May moray eels infest their undergarments.

I shall rooteth forthwith and heretofore.

Also one more important thing!!!

Before you root, use the lg mobile support tool to reflash the stock firmware.
    Doing this will remove the carrier iq (CIQ) and just give you the stock firmware.
    CIQ is only added by the carrier and NOT LG!!!
    I did this with my old LG NITRO and noticed it never added CIQ. Confirmed with any CIQ checker.
    You also be able to do it with the LG PC Suite but I have not used it.
    So try LG mobile support tool first and if it doesn't work then try the other tool.

Once you get it reflashed then go ahead and root then debloat, you won't have to remove CIQ by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidHabit View Post
    Also one more important thing!!!

Before you root, use the lg mobile support tool to reflash the stock firmware.
    Doing this will remove the carrier iq (CIQ) and just give you the stock firmware.
    CIQ is only added by the carrier and NOT LG!!!
    I did this with my old LG NITRO and noticed it never added CIQ. Confirmed with any CIQ checker.
    You also be able to do it with the LG PC Suite but I have not used it.
    So try LG mobile support tool first and if it doesn't work then try the other tool.

Once you get it reflashed then go ahead and root then debloat, you won't have to remove CIQ by hand.

Seriously???!! Wow. That's big. Eliminate Carrier IQ without rooting?

And where do you find the LG mobile support tool?