LG G3 Screen Rotation Problems

TABird

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Got the phone not quite a week ago, and as of today the screen will not rotate. I haven't dropped it, nothing has been changed. The roto option is selected, and I did a factory hard reset to no avail. I'm going to bring it back and have it replaced, unless anyone here has had this problem and knows a solution? Thanks!
EDIT: The phone is on Verizon, if that helps.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Accessibility​--is the Auto Rotate option there checked on?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, going to Settings, General, Gestures, Sensor may allow you to calibrate the auto-rotate....mine doesn't need so I'm not going to try.

I lost auto-rotate once but a simple Soft Reset fixed it.

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ignore belodion, he's an i.d.i.o.t. The Sensor thing is Motion Sensor Calibration which I'd assumed was for auto-rotate should I ever get that trouble again, but which I now see is for something else.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you can't get it working with a Soft Reset or any of the other methods and you get desperate you might care to consider downloading an autorotate app. There are such things I believe.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Actually in reading more about it I think the Motion Sensor Calibration may be relevant to auto rotate, as well as other things, after all.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this happen to my G3 shortly after I got it. Double check to see if any of your sensors are working. Does the screen still fade during phone calls? Is your auto brightness working? Download the app CPU Z and check that the sensors are functioning.

In my case they were not and I had to have the phone replaced. Hope this isn't the case for you.

Posted via G3 on the Android Central App

AcEXBOX

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My G3 was doing this yesterday. Put it on safe mode and auto rotate started working again. Restarted the phone and now it works fine. Go figure. Software bug.

It's been about ten minutes and so far so good.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Auto Rotate failed again. I did a couple of Soft Resets, no go. Did a more extended Power Off, for half an hour, while charging, no go. Did a Smart Clean, no go. Then looked in Settings, Display, and found that Auto Rotate was off. Not my doing. Turned it on, back to normal.☺

Randy Cuello

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
How did the problem get resolved please?
Thanks

Hi there, I was facing the same problem on my G3 yesterday after let it fall at office. The Y axis was stuck ! So my phone won't rotate. What I did was simply amazing! I let it fall again and it works again! It seems that acelerometer sensor got stuck. I hop can help someone with this problem. I suggest testing acelerometer with a app called Advanced tools free on play store. with this you can see if some axis is stuck it non working. I tried it all and nothing seems to works except let it fall from the height of my hip on a carpet and that solved the problem! You can use this method as a last resort. But be careful from breaking the phone.

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little paranoid but I did something similar. With the case on I tapped the corner of the decice on the floor (vinyl). After every tap, I tested the rotation. Took about 3 or 4 good taps.

BobSWFL

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Randy, great solution. I dropped my phone from a low height earlier in the day. The screen rotation feature was gone after that.

This is how I fixed it:
1. Downloaded the Advanded Tools app.
2. In the app, under Sensors, went to Accelerometer Sensor
3. Clearly, x-axis was stuck, since it was not changing as I moved the phone.
4. Dropped the phone a few times as follows: With a gel cover installed, tried dropping it from a few inches onto a wood floor, hitting on the corners.
No luck.
5. Dropped phone from a few inches height onto each edge. When the left edge hit the floor, BINGO - the x-axis reading started to change again!

Thank you for an excellent suggestion. The Advanced Tools app is cool, too. An amazing amount of info about the phone.

Matt Comanda

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Bobswfl I did exactly what u said. The X axis was stuck. Rather than drop the phone on it's side , I slapped it hard into my hand on its left side and it is fixed.