G3 vs. iPhone 6 vs. Lumia 1520

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the MS ecosystem but am presently looking at upgrading to a phablet-sized device. The G3 looks like the best Android device in that category but I'm not too familiar with Android phones other than what I've read here. I'd probably also look at an iPhone if they make the 5.5". The frontrunner would be a Lumia 1520 if it is refreshed or if Windows Phone releases a new 5+ to 6" phone. Anyone have a G3 along with a PC or other Windows devices that could give me input? Any other pros and cons of the G3 vs. the other two? Thanks!

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the MS ecosystem but am presently looking at upgrading to a phablet-sized device. The G3 looks like the best Android device in that category but I'm not too familiar with Android phones other than what I've read here. I'd probably also look at an iPhone if they make the 5.5". The frontrunner would be a Lumia 1520 if it is refreshed or if Windows Phone releases a new 5+ to 6" phone. Anyone have a G3 along with a PC or other Windows devices that could give me input? Any other pros and cons of the G3 vs. the other two? Thanks!

I work for Apple and can confirm that there will be a 5.5 inch screen. I would hold off because the battery that comes with it might not be able to suffice such a big screen and higher resolution. Plus it will not be removable so there is another problem. G3 is my daily driver and has been for a bit and I fall more and more in love with it every day. Windows phones are something to stay away from... to sum it up they are not that great and you can get more for your money out of the G3.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I work for Apple and can confirm that there will be a 5.5 inch screen. I would hold off because the battery that comes with it might not be able to suffice such a big screen and higher resolution. Plus it will not be removable so there is another problem. G3 is my daily driver and has been for a bit and I fall more and more in love with it every day. Windows phones are something to stay away from... to sum it up they are not that great and you can get more for your money out of the G3.

Do you know if the iPhone 5.5 will be delayed? I've read rumors to that effect. I have a Windows Phone now (Lumia 920) and am very happy with it. I like the form factor of the G3 a lot and the size is perfect. What specifically do you like about the G3?

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Of you own the 920 at the moment than you will love the g3. A year ago I bought the 920 and sold it in 3 weeks or so. In my eyes android devices are the way to go at the moment. Simply because you get the most out of your money from it.

I've owned around 10 different devices last year (Windows, blackberry and android).

If you want a future proof and long lasting phone (battery consumption) than you will seriously be happy with the g3.

Posted with the speed of my G3

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Of you own the 920 at the moment than you will love the g3. A year ago I bought the 920 and sold it in 3 weeks or so. In my eyes android devices are the way to go at the moment. Simply because you get the most out of your money from it.

I've owned around 10 different devices last year (Windows, blackberry and android).

If you want a future proof and long lasting phone (battery consumption) than you will seriously be happy with the g3.

Thanks!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not criticizing the G3, because it's a great phone, but if you want a phablet you should wait a couple of weeks and see how the Galaxy Note 4 compares. It's due to be announced on September 4. They'll be a bunch of new announcements between the 3rd and 13th from Samsung, Motorola, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and probably others, so it probably makes sense to wait at least until mid-September to decide.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Not criticizing the G3, because it's a great phone, but if you want a phablet you should wait a couple of weeks and see how the Galaxy Note 4 compares. It's due to be announced on September 4. They'll be a bunch of new announcements between the 3rd and 13th from Samsung, Motorola, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and probably others, so it probably makes sense to wait at least until mid-September to decide.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I like the G3 form factor and size but there's probably no need to be hasty when new options are coming.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
If you can wait till September 4th, than wait till the iPhone 6 will land or wait till meizu's mx4 or wait till etc etc..

You cannot wait in tech world, cause almost every month there Will be a New phone.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
AT&T announced that they will get the HTC One M8 for Windows as well. Just not right away. Appears Verizon's exclusivity on the phone is only timed.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd steer clear of the 801 G3 and wait for the 805 G3 or Note 4. Both are hardware wise much more suited to QHD.

Whilst there is some truth in this, performance is marginally better and this will only become apparent in gaming.

For day to day, sending emails, social networking, music & video playback, photo's the 801/330 is just fine.

Atleast I haven't experienced anything that is hampering my enjoyment or is causing issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
What about the Nokia Lumia 930?

Yes, you've got better specs overall on that than any other WP device. I own 1020, a device which is showing its age a bit, and am tempted myself by the 930 but may wait for a successor to the 1020, if there is to be one, with same or better camera.
I don't see very much point comparing Androids and WPs...they're just different ways of doing things.

Posted via Android Central App

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Whilst there is some truth in this, performance is marginally better and this will only become apparent in gaming.

For day to day, sending emails, social networking, music & video playback, photo's the 801/330 is just fine.

Atleast I haven't experienced anything that is hampering my enjoyment or is causing issues.

Yeah I agree to an extent, but if you're going to pay £450 for a standard 801 version then you may as well wait a month and pay the same or slightly more for the 805 version. Although the 801 version will probably drop in price with the 805 release.

Edit....checking eBay you can get the 801 version for £380 new and the Cat6 imported for £470. Interesting.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree to an extent, but if you're going to pay £450 for a standard 801 version then you may as well wait a month and pay the same or slightly more for the 805 version. Although the 801 version will probably drop in price with the 805 release.

Edit....checking eBay you can get the 801 version for £380 new and the Cat6 imported for £470. Interesting.

Imported for £470 & Taxes so a good deal more lol

I do agree & it does make sense to have the QHD powered by the 805/420 or is it 430 GPU?

The Cat 6 should have been the G3 but such is the way of things.

Am I miffed? nah this 801/330 is doing just fine :)