Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G3 vs. iPhone 6 vs. Lumia 1520

I'm in the MS ecosystem but am presently looking at upgrading to a phablet-sized device. The G3 looks like the best Android device in that category but I'm not too familiar with Android phones other than what I've read here. I'd probably also look at an iPhone if they make the 5.5". The frontrunner would be a Lumia 1520 if it is refreshed or if Windows Phone releases a new 5+ to 6" phone. Anyone have a G3 along with a PC or other Windows devices that could give me input? Any other pros and cons of the G3 vs. the other two? Thanks!

Default Re: G3 vs. iPhone 6 vs. Lumia 1520

Quote Originally Posted by BobLobIaw View Post
    I'm in the MS ecosystem but am presently looking at upgrading to a phablet-sized device. The G3 looks like the best Android device in that category but I'm not too familiar with Android phones other than what I've read here. I'd probably also look at an iPhone if they make the 5.5". The frontrunner would be a Lumia 1520 if it is refreshed or if Windows Phone releases a new 5+ to 6" phone. Anyone have a G3 along with a PC or other Windows devices that could give me input? Any other pros and cons of the G3 vs. the other two? Thanks!
    I work for Apple and can confirm that there will be a 5.5 inch screen. I would hold off because the battery that comes with it might not be able to suffice such a big screen and higher resolution. Plus it will not be removable so there is another problem. G3 is my daily driver and has been for a bit and I fall more and more in love with it every day. Windows phones are something to stay away from... to sum it up they are not that great and you can get more for your money out of the G3.
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mvp4him3 View Post
    I work for Apple and can confirm that there will be a 5.5 inch screen. I would hold off because the battery that comes with it might not be able to suffice such a big screen and higher resolution. Plus it will not be removable so there is another problem. G3 is my daily driver and has been for a bit and I fall more and more in love with it every day. Windows phones are something to stay away from... to sum it up they are not that great and you can get more for your money out of the G3.
    Do you know if the iPhone 5.5 will be delayed? I've read rumors to that effect. I have a Windows Phone now (Lumia 920) and am very happy with it. I like the form factor of the G3 a lot and the size is perfect. What specifically do you like about the G3?

5.5 iPhone most likely delayed until end of year.

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

Of you own the 920 at the moment than you will love the g3. A year ago I bought the 920 and sold it in 3 weeks or so. In my eyes android devices are the way to go at the moment. Simply because you get the most out of your money from it.

I've owned around 10 different devices last year (Windows, blackberry and android).

If you want a future proof and long lasting phone (battery consumption) than you will seriously be happy with the g3.

Posted with the speed of my G3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by makie View Post
    Of you own the 920 at the moment than you will love the g3. A year ago I bought the 920 and sold it in 3 weeks or so. In my eyes android devices are the way to go at the moment. Simply because you get the most out of your money from it.

I've owned around 10 different devices last year (Windows, blackberry and android).

If you want a future proof and long lasting phone (battery consumption) than you will seriously be happy with the g3.

Thanks!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Got some good info from this guy over on WPCentral who switched from Windows Phone to Android.

My move to an Android Phone - Windows Phone Central Forums

Not criticizing the G3, because it's a great phone, but if you want a phablet you should wait a couple of weeks and see how the Galaxy Note 4 compares. It's due to be announced on September 4. They'll be a bunch of new announcements between the 3rd and 13th from Samsung, Motorola, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and probably others, so it probably makes sense to wait at least until mid-September to decide.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Not criticizing the G3, because it's a great phone, but if you want a phablet you should wait a couple of weeks and see how the Galaxy Note 4 compares. It's due to be announced on September 4. They'll be a bunch of new announcements between the 3rd and 13th from Samsung, Motorola, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and probably others, so it probably makes sense to wait at least until mid-September to decide.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I like the G3 form factor and size but there's probably no need to be hasty when new options are coming.

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

If you can wait till September 4th, than wait till the iPhone 6 will land or wait till meizu's mx4 or wait till etc etc..

You cannot wait in tech world, cause almost every month there Will be a New phone.

Verizon just announced the HTC One M8 with Windows Mobile.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    It looks pretty nice for WP users. I'm on AT&T, but certainly going down to Verizon to check it out. A bit tall and I don't use speakers much, but it is a good-looking device.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    This is so great! A very great looking phone with a fast growing OS. Definitely worth to try out. But I fear I'll have to wait long until it's available in Europe...

I'd steer clear of the 801 G3 and wait for the 805 G3 or Note 4. Both are hardware wise much more suited to QHD.
    Thanked by:

AT&T announced that they will get the HTC One M8 for Windows as well. Just not right away. Appears Verizon's exclusivity on the phone is only timed.
    Thanked by:

What about the Nokia Lumia 930?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pmcnei11 View Post
    I'd steer clear of the 801 G3 and wait for the 805 G3 or Note 4. Both are hardware wise much more suited to QHD.
    Whilst there is some truth in this, performance is marginally better and this will only become apparent in gaming.

For day to day, sending emails, social networking, music & video playback, photo's the 801/330 is just fine.

Atleast I haven't experienced anything that is hampering my enjoyment or is causing issues.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    GrooveRite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    Yes, you've got better specs overall on that than any other WP device. I own 1020, a device which is showing its age a bit, and am tempted myself by the 930 but may wait for a successor to the 1020, if there is to be one, with same or better camera.
    I don't see very much point comparing Androids and WPs...they're just different ways of doing things.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Whilst there is some truth in this, performance is marginally better and this will only become apparent in gaming.

For day to day, sending emails, social networking, music & video playback, photo's the 801/330 is just fine.

Atleast I haven't experienced anything that is hampering my enjoyment or is causing issues.

Yeah I agree to an extent, but if you're going to pay £450 for a standard 801 version then you may as well wait a month and pay the same or slightly more for the 805 version. Although the 801 version will probably drop in price with the 805 release.

Edit....checking eBay you can get the 801 version for £380 new and the Cat6 imported for £470. Interesting.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pmcnei11 View Post
    Yeah I agree to an extent, but if you're going to pay £450 for a standard 801 version then you may as well wait a month and pay the same or slightly more for the 805 version. Although the 801 version will probably drop in price with the 805 release.

Edit....checking eBay you can get the 801 version for £380 new and the Cat6 imported for £470. Interesting.
    Imported for £470 & Taxes so a good deal more lol

I do agree & it does make sense to have the QHD powered by the 805/420 or is it 430 GPU?

The Cat 6 should have been the G3 but such is the way of things.

Am I miffed? nah this 801/330 is doing just fine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Imported for £470 & Taxes so a good deal more lol

I do agree & it does make sense to have the QHD powered by the 805/420 or is it 430 GPU?

The Cat 6 should have been the G3 but such is the way of things.

Am I miffed? nah this 801/330 is doing just fine :-)

805/420 isn't it? I'm keeping my hard earned cash for the Note 4. More battery efficient QHD (version 2) display,4 GB of Ram, 805 .The S5 Prime was giving around 7000 odd extra than the Cat6 on Antutu so it looks like the more power efficient display is causing it to run cooler with less throttling. If Samsung can get Touchwiz right (pray) then it should be a winner. Shame the G3 looks so good though.

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

Ive Heard the note 4 will have 3g of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by makie View Post
    Ive Heard the note 4 will have 3g of ram.

4gb according to the latest leaks

http://uk.pcmag.com/news/34937/leak-...y-note-4-specs

Guess we'll find out in a week and a half.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    A great choice, no doubt, but I'd probably get a 1520 before a 930 just because I'd like to try something phablety in size.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLobIaw View Post
    A great choice, no doubt, but I'd probably get a 1520 before a 930 just because I'd like to try something phablety in size.
    Good call. 5" is only just barely a phablet in this day and age.

I would absolutely love a 930 as a secondary device, but it would be a complete waste of money for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast