[Solved] Just switched from my S4 to the G3....I'm in hell

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the Verizon glass protector but the screen was unresponsive especially around the edges and when typing. I switched to spigen and no problem what so ever.

I was getting very frustrated with touch sensitivity when typing and even knock off. This is just from my own experience.

Posted via Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Ohhh, okay, got it.

Yeah, I found some extremely good articles online, that took the same picture with about 7 different phones in all sorts of different situations. And I they said that the G3 comes out on top as far as camera, but the S5 is the best phone overall. I dunno. I'll keep playing around with it, hopefully it grows on me and I work out the kinks. Otherwise, I still have 13 days to return the phone.

Well if your not happy then I wouldn't stick with it, the G3 is an amazing piece of kit (but I'm not experiencing your issues).

The S5's camera aside from that is great and its only my mates opinion that he doesn't like the panoramas, I thought it was good as I do with the G3.

Bembol has both and could provide better answers if he is around? Helloooooo

Go by what you feel is the right move for you :)

Posted via the Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just switched from my S4 to the G3....I'm in hell

Have both myself, S5 camera is not good in low light. If you turn on image stabilization it's a little better but then the shutter response is crazy slow and if there's any movement the picture blurs horribly.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Have both myself, S5 camera is not good in low light. If you turn on image stabilization it's a little better but then the shutter response is crazy slow and if there's any movement the picture blurs horribly.

How do you like the rest of the S5 phone? Would you recommend one over the other?

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Are you using a glass screen protector from Verizon? They are known to mess up the touch screen. Remove your screen protector and try again to see if that's the cause. The phone is amazing. It's not LG's fault you have huge hands or whatever.

I don't think the screen protector has anything to do with it. These phones are all capactive touch now. My S4 doesn't even require me to even touch the phone for it to work. Even if I just hover my finger a mm over the screen, it's close enough for it to detect "touch". Especially when I set the high sensitivity setting.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no problems using my S4 with motorcycle gloves on, with an extremely thick screen protector...which is made out of dirt bike clear sticker lol.

And you got my complaint completely backwards. I said despite having large hands, the phone is still much too difficult to use with one hand. Having large hands would be a benefit, you're making it sound the other way around.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I cant really see the piccture's you send, But i dont really have that problem. My pinky is always on the bottom of the phone so when I need to reach the top single handed I can Easely slide my hand next to it so my thumb could reach the top. My pinky is kinda holding the phone in place with my other fingers on the back.

Posted with the speed of my G3

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

How do you like the rest of the S5 phone? Would you recommend one over the other?

I've had a LOT of phones trying to find THE phone for me in the last year. When I got bored with iPhones I tried the Moto X, went to Nexus 5, the M8, the S5 and now the G3. While I was using iPhones I had the S3 and S4 for brief times and even used a Note 3 that is my son's for a few weeks before he took it over. I can say without question the G3 is by far my favorite. From what I've read you have experienced some problems. My experience has been the exact opposite. The G3 I have has been totally flawless and without issue.

To answer your question, my thoughts on the S5 are it's a good phone. It's much like the other Samsung phones I've used. The software UI is slightly better but still a heavily modified and a feature filled version of android. LG does that as well to some extent and the UI experience reminds me of Samsungs but it just works better for me at least. The S5 has many features that I just turn off, I use all of the features on the G3. The camera of the S5 can take really good pictures but not low light. The S5 camera software is filled with features but I never found a use for them. When I need to take a picture with my phone, it's a quick shot, so it's point and shoot. The G3 excels with this, much faster to focus and capture a good shot without fuss. The battery of both phones lasts really well for me but I give the nod to the G3. The S5, like all Samsungs that I've used seemed inconsistent in that regard. I had to constantly monitor battery stats to watch for errant apps or processes that popped up and would hit battery life, I've not had that experience with the G3. The screens compare well in sunlight which is a big factor for me, both are easy to see outdoors for me. Speakers of both do not even begin to compare to the M8 but the G3 is better than the S5 probably due to the water resistant qualities of the S5. Both can use an sd card but my experience with Samsungs is that they can be finicky with external cards, so if you use one back up often.

The G3 is my choice, I can't choose what's best for you. I prefer the features of the G3 and use all of them, that was not true for me with the S5. I prefer the UI on the G3 over the S5 and it seems faster and more responsive for me. I prefer the core apps of the G3 over those of the S5, such as the messaging, email, launcher, dialer, calendar, gallery, camera software, tv remote and the list goes on. Battery life has been outstanding. The cellular, gps and wifi radios have all worked well and maintain connections better for me. Bluetooth works better for me and I rely on this daily while commuting, a big plus for me. Everything considered, the G3 is the best phone that I've had to date. Again that's been my experience and my opinion. Sorry for the long post.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I use the G3 and my wife has the S4. While I/we like both phones, we BOTH prefer the G3. Mainly because of the larger screen and battery life.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Hope you managed to iron out your issues and if not I hope you fair better with the S5.

Posted via the Android Central App

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I can't speak to all the issues mentioned, by why do people buy LARGE phones with huge screens and then complain that they can't operate them well with one hand? I just don't get this line of thinking. It doesn't really matter how large your hands are, there comes a point where the screen is going to be to large to effectively mess around easily with one hand...It's not going to be long and people are going to wonder why they can't one hand a tablet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I can't speak to all the issues mentioned, by why do people buy LARGE phones with huge screens and then complain that they can't operate them well with one hand?

Well, probably because until the G3 came along the OP never had issues? :) Still, this is a problem that would have been readily apparent before buying the phone. The G3 is a fair bit larger than the S4, with the G3's notification panel starting somewhere around where the S4's earpiece is.

I got big mits myself.... and while I don't have issues getting to the notification bar to open it, I still used G3Tweaker to have a long press of the home button open the notification panel. It's just easier and I set up similar gestures on the Nexus 5 (which is pretty much the same size as the S4).

Of course, that doesn't solve his touch issues though.. not sure what's up there. I got the generic plastic wrap from T-Mobile when I bought it and the ONLY time I have touch issues is swiping W-A-S on Switftkey only. I have a Nilikin glass sitting at home, ready to go one once I ding this one, so I wonder if the thicker glass introduces some wonk....

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Sorry you are having problems. I just switched from the G2 to the S5. So far the S5 works great!

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I had the S5,and now have the G3. The G3 is light-years better.

Posted via Android Central App

chriskir

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

You don't have to pull the notification bar down if you do the following

Settings | Display | Home Touch Buttons | Button Combination

Then add a shortcut to the notification bar. No more reaching for the notification pull down. Done.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

I came from an S4 (always in a case).
The S4 has a more sensitive screen than the G3. It has a super sensitive mode that will work with gloves on, dry hands, etc.....
The G3 just sisn't that sensitive. It's hardware. If a screen that sensitive is a must, then the S5 is going to be a better phone.

I ride a motorcycle also. I just remove the glove when I'm stopped and need to check the phone.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I haven't had time to catch up and read all the replies since my last post, however, I factory reset the phone (by mistake actually....lol) and that cleared up a lot of the issues I was having. I also disabled a bunch of bloatware that was on the phone. That saved a lot of battery usage as well. That damn Verizon cloud software is a total hog.

Anyways, I'm sticking with the phone, since I can upgrade every year with Verizon, and if I have any issues, I'll just claim it under warranty rather than spend my own money getting a different phone because I don't like it. So far I'm pretty happy though.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and I did what a few people recommended and I added the shortcut on the home row to pull down the notifications menu and that made my life a 1000x easier. I want to avoid installing a launcher as I'm okay with the one that is on there. But all looks good now :)

I've also sorted my icons and aligned all of my most used icons to be on the bottom right of the screen since I am right handed. And that has made a world of difference.

2014-09-03 00.18.05.jpg

Last edited:

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I cant really see the piccture's you send, But i dont really have that problem. My pinky is always on the bottom of the phone so when I need to reach the top single handed I can Easely slide my hand next to it so my thumb could reach the top. My pinky is kinda holding the phone in place with my other fingers on the back.

Posted with the speed of my G3

Oops! Yeah, sorry. haha. I rearranged my dropbox the other day and I guess I forgot those were linked on here. I should have just uploaded them.

Here:
2014-08-17 16.04.25.jpg

2014-08-17 16.04.30.jpg

2014-08-17 16.04.57.jpg

2014-08-17 16.05.10.jpg

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I can't speak to all the issues mentioned, by why do people buy LARGE phones with huge screens and then complain that they can't operate them well with one hand? I just don't get this line of thinking. It doesn't really matter how large your hands are, there comes a point where the screen is going to be to large to effectively mess around easily with one hand...It's not going to be long and people are going to wonder why they can't one hand a tablet.

It's less complaining than it is voicing my opinion of what I consider to be a personal con. I bought the G3 because of all of it's features despite the screen being larger. For me, the larger size of the phone and larger screen is a personal con, so that is why I bring it up.

If I had my choice, I'd get an iPhone with Android installed. lol. Good size phone, good hardware, and good software :p