[Solved] Just switched from my S4 to the G3....I'm in hell

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but I was previously using an S4 with no case, now I have the G3 with an Incipio slim case. I have pretty large hands...I wear an XXL in motorcycle gloves. And I can barely reach the notifications pull down with my thumb and I have difficulty unlocking the phone holding it with only one hand (using pattern unlock). That alone is making me want to switch back to my old S4 with the shattered screen.

As far as the actual phone. I posted up another post yesterday trying to figure out what i wanted:
Just look up (since I can't post links yet): s5 vs htc one m8 picture quality need push

I ended up with the G3, even though it was a post about the M8 VS the S5. I found some really great technical articles online comparing the camera specs and pictures between all of the cameras, and the G3 came out on top. But heres my input after not even 24 hours with the phone:

I use the Swype keyboard, which I paid for, rather than the one that is built in. The phone continues to lose track of my finger on the screen and starts typing jibberish. There has also been a few times where I couldn't type the letter 'P' for a good 30 seconds, probably cause it's close to the edge?

The Softkeys occasionally stop working and I have to sit and wait. The double tap to turn the screen on is either delayed or doesn't work at all...so when I finally use the button on the back, to turn the screen on, it shuts off because the double tap caught up.

The phone takes TERRIBLE Panoramic pictures. My S4 would let me pan fairly quickly, and it would piece the pictures together line by line. The G3 kept telling me to slow down, though I'm not sure I could have gone any slower, and it pieces them together whole picture by whole picture (frame by frame). Which results in uneven focus, uneven light adjustment and uneven merge lines.

Also, the auto screen brightness adjustment is terrible. It's extremely delayed compared to my S4, and when I'm in a dark room, it makes the screen way too dark.

I'm going to go back to Verizon and swap out for the S5.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just switched from my S4 to the G3....I'm in hell

Sorry to hear about your experience. Are you using a screen protector? Did you give Google Keyboard or SwiftKey (both free) a try?

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I am using a screen protector, but I'm using dirt bike clear wrap on my S4, which is about 3x as thick, and it's not having any issues, so I wouldn't think the paper thin protector would have a very big impact on the screen sensitivity?

I'll give the Google Keyboard a shot, but I'm not a big fan of swiftkey. I only use the Swype one because I paid for it when I had an HTC Rezound, which didn't come with Swype from the factory.

However, that only covers some of the issues I'm running into. I use my phone primarily for taking pictures, so chances are I'll go back to the S5, and keep my Samsung loyalty as my last phones were the Samsung Charge and the S4.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I thought swiftkey was something else....I didn't realize it was Swype style typing. I'll definitely try it out since it looks like it supports emojis, thanks! :)

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Sorry you're having issues...

My friend was having issues pulling down the notification bar on his Moto X. I installed ADW launcher which allows you to swipe down from anywhere on the screen.

Granted changing a launcher is a radical fix but with the size of today's phones it's a very nice feature. One of the great things I like about ADW.

I also second the vote for Google keyboard. I love it

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It may not be how thin the screen protector is--it could be the material. Do you know if the screen protector on your G3 works equally well on the S4? Or can you try what you're using on the S4 on your G3?

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Don't worry the s5 will be perfect
For you. With no problems.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

If you go into settings there is a setting to change the on screen menu keys and I think one of them pulls down the notification bar by pressing it. This way you could have it at the bottom of the screen. You could do this on the G2 so I think you should still be able to do it on the G3. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Sorry you're having issues...

My friend was having issues pulling down the notification bar on his Moto X. I installed ADW launcher which allows you to swipe down from anywhere on the screen.

Granted changing a launcher is a radical fix but with the size of today's phones it's a very nice feature. One of the great things I like about ADW.

I also second the vote for Google keyboard. I love it

Yeah, I did that with my S4, even though I have no problem reaching it. I installed GO Launcher, and loved it, till they started putting in ads and stuff. That might be another fix to my problems....I just feel like, I shouldn't have to find fixes ya know? When I got my S4, I was in love. Everything just kept getting better and better. With the G3, it's been nothing but "finding solutions" lol.

It may not be how thin the screen protector is--it could be the material. Do you know if the screen protector on your G3 works equally well on the S4? Or can you try what you're using on the S4 on your G3?

Yeah, that's a good point. I've had probably 3 or 4 different screen protectors on my S4, but I've never had a problem. The S4 also offers increasing the sensitivity of the screen, so I even use it with my motorcycle gloves all the time. Again, without any issues. I'm currently using dirt bike clear protective tape for my S4 lol. It's meant for putting on the front of your forks to protect from dirt and rocks, but I did that because my phones screen is just completely demolished and shattered into a billion pieces....yet....I still don't have any issues with the screen. lol

Don't worry the s5 will be perfect
For you. With no problems.

That's what I'm hoping....I would hate to switch...and then it ends up being even worse and i'm stuck. lol.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

If you go into settings there is a setting to change the on screen menu keys and I think one of them pulls down the notification bar by pressing it. This way you could have it at the bottom of the screen. You could do this on the G2 so I think you should still be able to do it on the G3. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

I did find that, and I'll probably end up doing it. I'm thinking an exchange is inevitable because I take so many pictures, and the panoramic feature is just terrible.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I got no xl hands and I'm still able to reach the notification bar. Actually I think the g3 is not that much bigger than the s4

Posted with the speed of my G3

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I did find that, and I'll probably end up doing it. I'm thinking an exchange is inevitable because I take so many pictures, and the panoramic feature is just terrible.

My mate has the S5 and he has the same issue in that he doesn't like the panorama in the S5, his lowlight pictures are shocking (No smartphone camera's are great here) but in comparisons to the G3 there is a big difference.

Hope this is not the case for you when you make your switch mate :)

Posted via the Android Central App

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Are you using a glass screen protector from Verizon? They are known to mess up the touch screen. Remove your screen protector and try again to see if that's the cause. The phone is amazing. It's not LG's fault you have huge hands or whatever.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

My mate has the S5 and he has the same issue in that he doesn't like the panorama in the S5, his lowlight pictures are shocking (No smartphone camera's are great here) but in comparisons to the G3 there is a big difference.

Hope this is not the case for you when you make your switch mate :)

I'll give the S5 a test, if it does the panoramics the same way, then I guess I'll just have to stick with the G3, as the size of the phone isn't much different with that one either. Now, are you saying the G3 is better or worse than the S5 for night/lowlight photos?

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Are you using a glass screen protector from Verizon? They are known to mess up the touch screen. Remove your screen protector and try again to see if that's the cause. The phone is amazing. It's not LG's fault you have huge hands or whatever.

I'm using the "Puregear" PureTEK Roll-On Kit screen protector that they sell at verizon. I don't think it's the screen protector.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

I got no xl hands and I'm still able to reach the notification bar. Actually I think the g3 is not that much bigger than the s4

That's why I said I was using an S4 with no case, and now I'm using a G3 with a slim case....

Measured them just now....
G3: 8cm X 15cm
S4: 7cm X 13.5cm

Measuring from the bottom of the phone, to the top of the screen:
G3: 13.9cm
S4: 12.5cm

So yes, the screen is significantly more difficult to reach to the top.

Not to mention, the G3 has a larger screen, which makes even higher up. See the following pix:
Holding S4 as I normally would to type: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j3lm5q4w0ypj8i/2014-08-17 16.04.25.jpg
Same holding position, while reaching for top: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vjnq7qx9fjm075/2014-08-17 16.04.30.jpg

Same two pix for G3:
Holding/typing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r48ckud0m665zuk/2014-08-17 16.04.57.jpg
Reaching for top: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzjz0bpffk5prsj/2014-08-17 16.05.05.jpg

There is a significant difference, and I BARELY reach the top of the screen. Where with the S4, it's no problem at all.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I'll give the S5 a test, if it does the panoramics the same way, then I guess I'll just have to stick with the G3, as the size of the phone isn't much different with that one either. Now, are you saying the G3 is better or worse than the S5 for night/lowlight photos?

Sorry I wasn't specific lol was saying that the G3 outperforms the S5 in lowlight (this is going by same auto modes and my pictures are Noticeably better than my mates S5.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Now, are you saying the G3 is better or worse than the S5 for night/lowlight photos?

One of our other members, bembol, has both phones and could probably give you a little insight on camera comparison

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Sorry I wasn't specific lol was saying that the G3 outperforms the S5 in lowlight (this is going by same auto modes and my pictures are Noticeably better than my mates S5.

Ohhh, okay, got it.

One of our other members, bembol, has both phones and could probably give you a little insight on camera comparison

Yeah, I found some extremely good articles online, that took the same picture with about 7 different phones in all sorts of different situations. And I they said that the G3 comes out on top as far as camera, but the S5 is the best phone overall. I dunno. I'll keep playing around with it, hopefully it grows on me and I work out the kinks. Otherwise, I still have 13 days to return the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm