is your phone rooted or not?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is the DPI the only feature you want to change? Any specific reason why you don't like the stock setting?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
yes. i know. i have nova prime. maybe its better to use launcher to do it.
Yeah. I'd recommend that over rooting your device. There is a lot you can do with it, but if one of those features is possible without it I'd try that first and see if you like it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Using an app is always better than rooting, unless the phone is already rooted for some other reason. (The launcher is an app.)

2) Towel root roots almost everything.

3) Since I've been using Linux since it came out (and administered Unix systems before that), I don't feel comfortable not being able to su when I need to, so every phone I own gets rooted just about immediately. I don't often need to run as root, but when I do, I don't want to be bothered with rooting at that time. (Being able to run su, which is about all "rooted" means, shouldn't be grounds to void a warranty, as HTC has come to realize. There are many ways to cause the manufacturer headaches without being rooted, and if they voided the warranty for all of them, making a phone call would be grounds to void the warranty. It's like making possession of water illegal because you could use it to drown someone. There are, as in this thread, completely valid reasons to root a phone.)

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
1) Using an app is always better than rooting, unless the phone is already rooted for some other reason. (The launcher is an app.)

2) Towel root roots almost everything.

3) Since I've been using Linux since it came out (and administered Unix systems before that), I don't feel comfortable not being able to su when I need to, so every phone I own gets rooted just about immediately. I don't often need to run as root, but when I do, I don't want to be bothered with rooting at that time. (Being able to run su, which is about all "rooted" means, shouldn't be grounds to void a warranty, as HTC has come to realize. There are many ways to cause the manufacturer headaches without being rooted, and if they voided the warranty for all of them, making a phone call would be grounds to void the warranty. It's like making possession of water illegal because you could use it to drown someone. There are, as in this thread, completely valid reasons to root a phone.)

Yep with you all the way.

Posted via the Android Central App

Z Z2

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I love that I am rooted...so much more control, including G3 Tweaksbox app which does a lot.

As others have advised, Nova launcher will change icon sizes easily.

I have thought about changing DPI but from what I've read, that tweak is sketchy because it does alter your system files. Without a custom recovery, you could soft brick your phone. I've decided it isn't worth the risk and try to stay in the safer zone of XPosed Modules.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I love that I am rooted...so much more control, including G3 Tweaksbox app which does a lot.

As others have advised, Nova launcher will change icon sizes easily.

I have thought about changing DPI but from what I've read, that tweak is sketchy because it does alter your system files. Without a custom recovery, you could soft brick your phone. I've decided it isn't worth the risk and try to stay in the safer zone of XPosed Modules.

DPI is fine for me currently at 570 and its so much better :)

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I just moved from Apple to Androidland two weeks ago and after about a week of intense concentration and learning I just rooted my phone this morning on Bart on the way to work lol. I'm going home now to learn how to install twrp and nandroid and other ways to restore my phone when I screw things up.

I rooted my g3 for two reasons - 1 i dispise lg voice mate and I am determined to blow it up with dynamite. 2 t-mobile broke vpn by moving its latest phones to ipv6, when all vpn software is written for ipv4. So you can vpn on wireless, but not on tmobiles 4g network. This also means that tmobile can monitor you to make sure that you aren't torrenting because you cant hide your nefarious activities behind an encrypted vpn. Regardless, I depend on vpn to watch british television, and there's no way that I'm going to let tmobile stop me from using my paid vpn across their 4g. But I have to root the phone to do that.

All in all, Ive been taking things very slowly. I try to make sure I understand each step thoroughly, and learn all the best practices. That's not to say that there aren't risks. And so for example I dont know what I did but now google play won't download apps! Thankfully there are plenty of alternative app stores, but still - I want to know what happened. Anyways, good luck with rooting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20