Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question is your phone rooted or not?

    did you make root your phone?

    i want to do it but i am not sure about. i want to change dpi settings.
    LG G3 32GB WHITE
  2. #2  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    By far the easiest root I have very done.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Is the DPI the only feature you want to change? Any specific reason why you don't like the stock setting?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Is the DPI the only feature you want to change? Any specific reason why you don't like the stock setting?
    icons are big. i want to use a little bit smaller. and also i will have more space on the screen.
    LG G3 32GB WHITE
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp4him3 View Post
    By far the easiest root I have very done.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    rooted with PurpleDrake Method ?
    LG G3 32GB WHITE
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurkXtreme View Post
    icons are big. i want to use a little bit smaller. and also i will have more space on the screen.
    You can resize icons and have more space if you use a launcher like Nova or Apex.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    You can resize icons and have more space if you use a launcher like Nova or Apex.
    yes. i know. i have nova prime. maybe its better to use launcher to do it.
    LG G3 32GB WHITE
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurkXtreme View Post
    yes. i know. i have nova prime. maybe its better to use launcher to do it.
    Yeah. I'd recommend that over rooting your device. There is a lot you can do with it, but if one of those features is possible without it I'd try that first and see if you like it.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah. I'd recommend that over rooting your device. There is a lot you can do with it, but if one of those features is possible without it I'd try that first and see if you like it.
    thanks my friend. i will check it out first.
    LG G3 32GB WHITE
  10. #10  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    No. Nova Prime is the reason why.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

    - MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  11. #11  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    6,058 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    1) Using an app is always better than rooting, unless the phone is already rooted for some other reason. (The launcher is an app.)

    2) Towel root roots almost everything.

    3) Since I've been using Linux since it came out (and administered Unix systems before that), I don't feel comfortable not being able to su when I need to, so every phone I own gets rooted just about immediately. I don't often need to run as root, but when I do, I don't want to be bothered with rooting at that time. (Being able to run su, which is about all "rooted" means, shouldn't be grounds to void a warranty, as HTC has come to realize. There are many ways to cause the manufacturer headaches without being rooted, and if they voided the warranty for all of them, making a phone call would be grounds to void the warranty. It's like making possession of water illegal because you could use it to drown someone. There are, as in this thread, completely valid reasons to root a phone.)
  12. #12  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    I have never rooted any of my devices and I really don't any big advantage.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Don't forge to vote! Your vote counts!
    Support thr 9-12 Project
  13. #13  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    1) Using an app is always better than rooting, unless the phone is already rooted for some other reason. (The launcher is an app.)

    2) Towel root roots almost everything.

    3) Since I've been using Linux since it came out (and administered Unix systems before that), I don't feel comfortable not being able to su when I need to, so every phone I own gets rooted just about immediately. I don't often need to run as root, but when I do, I don't want to be bothered with rooting at that time. (Being able to run su, which is about all "rooted" means, shouldn't be grounds to void a warranty, as HTC has come to realize. There are many ways to cause the manufacturer headaches without being rooted, and if they voided the warranty for all of them, making a phone call would be grounds to void the warranty. It's like making possession of water illegal because you could use it to drown someone. There are, as in this thread, completely valid reasons to root a phone.)
    Yep with you all the way.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)
  14. #14  
    Z Z2's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    I love that I am rooted...so much more control, including G3 Tweaksbox app which does a lot.

    As others have advised, Nova launcher will change icon sizes easily.

    I have thought about changing DPI but from what I've read, that tweak is sketchy because it does alter your system files. Without a custom recovery, you could soft brick your phone. I've decided it isn't worth the risk and try to stay in the safer zone of XPosed Modules.
  15. #15  
    Duncan1982's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,732 Posts

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Z2 View Post
    I love that I am rooted...so much more control, including G3 Tweaksbox app which does a lot.

    As others have advised, Nova launcher will change icon sizes easily.

    I have thought about changing DPI but from what I've read, that tweak is sketchy because it does alter your system files. Without a custom recovery, you could soft brick your phone. I've decided it isn't worth the risk and try to stay in the safer zone of XPosed Modules.
    DPI is fine for me currently at 570 and its so much better :-)

    Posted via the Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Not rooted. Loving my G3 stock.


    Posted via my LG G3
  17. #17  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by llfloyd79 View Post
    Not rooted. Loving my G3 stock.


    Posted via my LG G3
    I like the G3 stock as well, but I like Nova Launcher Prime a bit better.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: is your phone rooted or not?

    I just moved from Apple to Androidland two weeks ago and after about a week of intense concentration and learning I just rooted my phone this morning on Bart on the way to work lol. I'm going home now to learn how to install twrp and nandroid and other ways to restore my phone when I screw things up.

    I rooted my g3 for two reasons - 1 i dispise lg voice mate and I am determined to blow it up with dynamite. 2 t-mobile broke vpn by moving its latest phones to ipv6, when all vpn software is written for ipv4. So you can vpn on wireless, but not on tmobiles 4g network. This also means that tmobile can monitor you to make sure that you aren't torrenting because you cant hide your nefarious activities behind an encrypted vpn. Regardless, I depend on vpn to watch british television, and there's no way that I'm going to let tmobile stop me from using my paid vpn across their 4g. But I have to root the phone to do that.

    All in all, Ive been taking things very slowly. I try to make sure I understand each step thoroughly, and learn all the best practices. That's not to say that there aren't risks. And so for example I dont know what I did but now google play won't download apps! Thankfully there are plenty of alternative app stores, but still - I want to know what happened. Anyways, good luck with rooting!

    Posted via the Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. i can't turn off a wireless my phone verizon samsung note 3
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-25-2014, 02:24 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM
  3. Two dialers answering phone
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM
  4. Roaming Warning but I'm not away from home
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
  5. Android os is gone!
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions