LG should include an option to change the resolution

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Would require swapping screens

Well.... it does and it doesn't.... There are apps out there that can change the screen resolution... it's a display, just like a desktop display... but the problem is that you aren't displaying the NATIVE resolution, so it's just not going to work quite right. The notification bar scaling was completely borked and things were all over the place. I fiddled with changing the resolution to 1080 and ran some benchmarks and the graphic performance actually degraded significantly.... scores dropped 25 to 33% on the graphic scores.

Granted, LG didn't write the video drivers to account for resolutions other than the native resolution... but why would they? What possible benefit would lowering the resolution provide, from LG's perspective?

What we'll most likely see is some software updates and adjustments to how they handle graphics and the GPU... it's clear that they were aware of the fact that they are really driving the GPU pretty hard (hence the thermal throttling and dynamic frame rate, etc)... and as much testing as they might have done, nothing beats the real world for use cases. Everyone is cutting corners these days in an attempt to get to market as quickly as possible, then patching things in the field when problems arise.

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well.... it does and it doesn't.... There are apps out there that can change the screen resolution... it's a display, just like a desktop display... but the problem is that you aren't displaying the NATIVE resolution, so it's just not going to work quite right. The notification bar scaling was completely borked and things were all over the place. I fiddled with changing the resolution to 1080 and ran some benchmarks and the graphic performance actually degraded significantly.... scores dropped 25 to 33% on the graphic scores.

Granted, LG didn't write the video drivers to account for resolutions other than the native resolution... but why would they? What possible benefit would lowering the resolution provide, from LG's perspective?

What we'll most likely see is some software updates and adjustments to how they handle graphics and the GPU... it's clear that they were aware of the fact that they are really driving the GPU pretty hard (hence the thermal throttling and dynamic frame rate, etc)... and as much testing as they might have done, nothing beats the real world for use cases. Everyone is cutting corners these days in an attempt to get to market as quickly as possible, then patching things in the field when problems arise.
You can use the xposed module "app settings " to change the DPI on certain aspects of the ROM to get it in a working state when reducing the resolution to 1080. You're right though, its not quite right and doesn't work well enough.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
True, android is all about having options.

My question if LG used the SOC 805 would it have avoided all this and why didn't LG use it?

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
True, android is all about having options.

My question if LG used the SOC 805 would it have avoided all this and why didn't LG use it?
They probably released it with an 801 to be the first major manufacturer to produce a 2k phone . The 805 wasn't ready when they were developing it I assume. Would it have helped? It seems its giving better performance more like 1080 using the 801, but not better battery life. What is weird is the Galaxy S5 QHD Prime is giving much,much better results using the 805. Perhaps the 805 G3 is still using heavy throttling kernel settings or its been designed badly so it gets hotter thus throttling more or its not been optimized for the 805 yet.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Changing the resolution of the screen will not benefit the battery life and heat as well as you would think.

The screen is still powering all 3,686,400 pixels, which consume battery life and produce heat. True, the graphics chip will be working a little bit less, but only marginally so. The only time you might see any performance gain is when you are playing a 3D-intensive game. There's a thread on XDA talking about this, but I don't currently have the link to it.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Changing the resolution of the screen will not benefit the battery life and heat as well as you would think.

The screen is still powering all 3,686,400 pixels, which consume battery life and produce heat. True, the graphics chip will be working a little bit less, but only marginally so. The only time you might see any performance gain is when you are playing a 3D-intensive game. There's a thread on XDA talking about this, but I don't currently have the link to it.

The GPU only works for 3D gaming not for 2D interface.
The GPU is not being used for regular stuff. You can force it in the developer settings.

All pixels need to be drawn no matter what. There is no savings in power.
Also you will need to interpolate down to 1080 from the native resolution which takes power and will negatively impact performance.

Playing with the resolution will do nothing to help.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You can use the xposed module "app settings " to change the DPI on certain aspects of the ROM to get it in a working state when reducing the resolution to 1080. You're right though, its not quite right and doesn't work well enough.

Oh... I've had nothing but good luck with that module... I've found that dropping the system dpi density (via the build.prop) has a tendency to introduce a little jitter, especially on the homescreen and app drawer. And sometimes 'shrinking' apps down really didn't give much benefit. I ran my Nexus 5 at 420, down from 480 stock, and it wasn't as smooth as my wife's teflon-like stock 5. It wasn't really an issue though, and I never noticed it unless I hoped on the stock one for something. But I've kept the G3 at its stock 640 and use the App Settings to drop the DPI down for things like Gmail, Tapatalk, Google+, etc... works much better actually. And I'd say that the G3 is about as smooth as the 420 dpi'd Nexus 5. And that's fine by me to be honest.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Also you will need to interpolate down to 1080 from the native resolution which takes power and will negatively impact performance.

I can verify this.... I changed the stock resolution to the traditional 1080 resolution (I have magic powers). Antutu X benchmark tests showed zero change in the 2D performance, and a 30% DROP in 3D graphical scores when dropped to the lower resolution. So yeah, it didn't like that one bit.

LCD displays will NEVER look as good as they do at their native resolution.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
You cannot change the number of pixels that have to be lit up. You can just change how they are lit up which will not change the speed of the device or the benchmarks in anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You cannot change the number of pixels that have to be lit up. You can just change how they are lit up which will not change the speed of the device or the benchmarks in anyway.

Posted via Android Central App
Actually, depending on coding and the benchmark, changing the resolution on a device can absolutely affect scores. It's just not present in this device due to poor implementation.

Pixels being lit is not the same as CPU/GPU rendering a 3d image on said pixels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969