So I dropped my LG G3 ......

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It fell just about 168 inches, 14 feet....I measured the distance, lol! I was all the way at the top of the flight of stairs when my hands magically became butter on my way to lunch. I was going to pull the phone from my pocket to plug in my headset and the darn thing just slipped NOT in front on me but PERFECTLY angled in a trajectory to the furthest spot it could travel to my right side slightly behind me. It became slow motion as I helplessly tried to grab it in mid flight and watched it fall all the way to the bottom where it exploded everywhere on a hard marble tiled floor! I went down to inspect the device and to my surprise.......the screen wasn't cracked!! I made some calls, took some pictures and ran the browser and thankfully, no signs of damage from what I can tell. Looks like the impact was mostly absorbed by the case. So, to put it simply.....thank goodness for my Spigen Slim Armor case!!! I'm now looking for another case with better grip because I can't afford to drop this device again! :'(

DroppedCell.jpg

20140819_132600.jpg

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: So I dropped my phone......

That's great! Good to know those cases do work hehe. But yeah, don't chance it.

They do work man but damn it, I hope nothing loosened or cracked/broke inside that will someday/oneday rear its head! :( It fell HARD!! Otherwise, everything is good....so far!! :-\

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I was joking lol I just couldn't believe the effort you went through with the diagrams and all haha

I work for a sign company so my tools are Illustrator and photoshop. It was a piece of cake to do this simple illustration! Freakin line and arrow dude, lol!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

We're all glad it's okay so far but out of interest would you have been able to claim on insurance? I'm uninsured myself because I just think, well, it's only a phone, there are others.

Posted via Android Central App

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

My screen shattered from 3 feet without a case. So I'm with GrooveRite, use a case.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Glad it survived mate & still I will never use a case, if it falls and breaks so be it I have a Z2 as back up :)

Posted via the Android Central App

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the reminder ... I forgot to order my slim armor until now. I got the Ultra fit to try and be as minimal as possible but I've been nervous the whole time. This is my first off contract, full price phone and that ultra fit just isn't enough protection for my investment.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

We're all glad it's okay so far but out of interest would you have been able to claim on insurance? I'm uninsured myself because I just think, well, it's only a phone, there are others.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm uninsured like you so no, I wouldn't have been able to claim anything! It would've been a complete loss for me and back to my S3, lol!

My screen shattered from 3 feet without a case. So I'm with GrooveRite, use a case.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident! Did you have insurance? Whats your backup device? Are you getting the G3 again? If so, please use a case!! :)

Glad it survived mate & still I will never use a case, if it falls and breaks so be it I have a Z2 as back up :)

Posted via the Android Central App

If I was as fortunate as you mate to have the option of another stellar device as backup, I'd gladly feel the same as you! ;)

Gotba screen protector on also or just the case?

Yeah, I had the Spigen Crystal clear screen protector on it which may of also prevented the screen from shattering so who knows! I just hate that it smudges so damn quickly though! In the process of getting a glass protector like the icarez one that ffejjj keeps hounds me about, lol!!

Thanks for the reminder ... I forgot to order my slim armor until now. I got the Ultra fit to try and be as minimal as possible but I've been nervous the whole time. This is my first off contract, full price phone and that ultra fit just isn't enough protection for my investment.

I would def invest in better protection for hard impacts. Having a very slim case is just good for scruff/scratch protection but not so good for hard impacts. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing! :)

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident! Did you have insurance? Whats your backup device? Are you getting the G3 again? If so, please use a case!! :)

I did have insurance, I'm so glad I did. Smashed it Saturday and my brand new replacement arrived this morning. I had an old Palm Pre as a backup, though I wasn't able to activate it, so I just went without.

That all being said, I'm contemplating selling the replacement. There are a couple of things I don't love about this phone, and I'm questioning its durability. I ordered a case and a screen protector today.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I did have insurance, I'm so glad I did. Smashed it Saturday and my brand new replacement arrived this morning. I had an old Palm Pre as a backup, though I wasn't able to activate it, so I just went without.

That all being said, I'm contemplating selling the replacement. There are a couple of things I don't love about this phone, and I'm questioning its durability. I ordered a case and a screen protector today.

Good to hear you had insurance! How many replacements do they allow by the way? Just curious because if they allow a few, I suppose you could 'afford' to go without a case. Hope you have better luck with your next device!

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Good to hear you had insurance! How many replacements do they allow by the way? Just curious because if they allow a few, I suppose you could 'afford' to go without a case. Hope you have better luck with your next device!

I have read that they allow you 2 replacements, however the deductible is high at $100. While its good to have insurance in a pinch, its smarter and more economical to buy a case.