Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default charging rate for lg g3

hello I bought a lg g3 phone today and I have a charger that says 5 v 1.8A . I have read somewhere that in the first 30 minutes the phone charges from 0 to 35% and takes 2 hours total to charge to from empty to full percent. I am confused because it doesnt make sense. I suppose phones dont charge at a constant rate.

Default Re: charging rate for lg g3

Welcome to the forums.
    All I know about mine is she charges quick. Two hours from empty is probably about right but I've never gone lower than about 15%. I know that she'll sometimes sit at 99% for a while before the light turns green and the charge reaches 100%, so I guess it may be true about the varying rate. No doubt some genius here will have more to say on that.
    Enjoy your phone and the G3 forum.☺

Posted via Android Central App

LiPo batteries are sophisticated things... And they are most sensitive to charging. They do, indeed, charge (and discharge) at a variable rate... Like an s- curve. Around 4.2v is full charge... It'll drop relatively fast down to 3.8 or so and smooth out. Every battery is slightly different, that's why the power management system has to calibrate itself.

The power circuitry does regulate the current during the charge process, dropping it down towards the end for a soft landing to reduce stress.
    Thanked by 3:

I told you we had geniuses here, OP. Thank you LeoRex.

Thanked by:
    LeoRex 

About the battery percentage... It maps the voltage of the battery to a table, but since it doesn't discharge linearly, it's not a 1 to 1 kind of thing, so it has to learn. 100% is some arbitrary value, and when you stop charging, your phone might actually be ABOVE that value. That's why some people's phones come off the charger at 100% and stay there for a while while you use it. You are just waiting for the voltage to drop to where the map shows 99%. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, while a 'full' charge on a LiPo is 4.1 or 4.2v (depends on where they want to set it), you don't have to worry about damage until over 4.3v... the charging circuitry will drop things down to a trickle charge long before that point. They will always say that it is safest to take your phone off its charger when it hits 100%.. which is true.... but a decent phone and charger should really never go spitzen-sparken if left on the charger for a bit.

And I don't remember where 0% lands... . when the phone hits 0%, the battery itself isn't fully depleted, it just means that the battery no longer can generate sufficient voltage to power the phone... at that point, the phone's power systems probably can't regulate the voltage properly... your battery's voltage might change, but the phone needs a steady input voltage. So I guess it'll register a 0% when it knows it can't get there anymore.

By the way.... when a charging battery fails it is usually because something screwed up and it the power regulation failed... causing either the battery to overcharge (and explode) or suffer a catastrophic short circuit (and explode). There are safties in place to reduce the changes of this, but bad things happen, especially with really cheap chargers (which can fry your phone's internal circuitry).

If your phone starts to feel hot... not 'hm... it feels warm' hot... but 'it might melt' hot... unplug the sucker (if charging) and put it someplace that won't burn crap if it pops.... DON'T put it under your pillow. When Lithium batteries start to fail, they get hot. It's called 'thermal runaway', like a nuclear reactor melting down.

LiPo batteries have a mean temper, you don't want to make them angry, you won't like them when they are angry.
    Thanked by 2:
    sledge007 likes this.

Now I see why it is that if you let the battery continue to charge for a while even when it says you're at 100%, you seem to get a bit better life from it....you are in fact doing so, because you've put a bit of extra charge in and may be able to use for a long time before it shows 99%.

You want to try to get this accepted as a Forum Guide because a lot of people would like to be able to refer to info like this anytime. As things are this will soon disappear downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Now I see why it is that if you let the battery continue to charge for a while even when it says you're at 100%, you seem to get a bit better life from it....you are in fact doing so, because you've put a bit of extra charge in and may be able to use for a long time before it shows 99%.
    Well, it depends on the battery and phone. I mean, my Nexus 5 would hit 100%... and drop to 99 quite fast. My G3, on the other hand, holds at 100 for a surprisingly long time... one time I had it in standby the entire time and it took 3 hours to drop to 99%. Again, it's pretty much arbitrary because of slight differences from battery to battery.

But I'm no expert, just someone who respects these batteries. They store an tremendous amount of electrical power and shouldn't be taken for granted.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Well, it depends on the battery and phone. I mean, my Nexus 5 would hit 100%... and drop to 99 quite fast. My G3, on the other hand, holds at 100 for a surprisingly long time... one time I had it in standby the entire time and it took 3 hours to drop to 99%. Again, it's pretty much arbitrary because of slight differences from battery to battery.

But I'm no expert, just someone who respects these batteries. They store an tremendous amount of electrical power and shouldn't be taken for granted.
    Oddly enough I have both devices and find the same thing. Used to be able to get a 'long-lasting' 100% from my Nokia Lumia 1020 but not so much of late.

I agree with your last point. And a point I've made elsewhere, worth repeating I think: Users often complain about phone battery life but the truth is that these little packages are amazing considering that they'll power your device for a day.

Last edited by belodion; 08-20-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Edit
    Last edited by belodion; 08-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Edit
    Last edited by belodion; 08-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.