Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD to PC issue.

I've been manually backing up my files on my SD card by dragging and dropping from my G3 to my PC. It's been working fine until today, when, after saying it's calculating the time it will take, I then get a window that says that a device attached it's not functioning. I've tried doing this in the normal way and also in debugging mode, but it's still the same.

Any ideas on how to sort this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

Default Re: SD to PC issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stwutter View Post
    I've been manually backing up my files on my SD card by dragging and dropping from my G3 to my PC. It's been working fine until today, when, after saying it's calculating the time it will take, I then get a window that says that a device attached it's not functioning. I've tried doing this in the normal way and also in debugging mode, but it's still the same.

Why not use the built in LG back up service? Or take the card out and use an adapter.
    LG G3 (Shine Gold, Sprint)
    Netgear Zing (hotspot)
    iPad Air
    Galaxy Victory (Husband)
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Dell Lattitude 10 (Win 8)
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post
    Why not use the built in LG back up service? Or take the card out and use an adapter.
    I have already used the adaptor to do the back up now. It's always speedier too. I'd still like to know why the back up thru the USB suddenly stopped working however. Doesn't the built in LG service back up to the SD card?

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

I have already used the adaptor to do the back up now. It's always speedier too. I'd still like to know why the back up thru the USB suddenly stopped working however. Doesn't the built in LG service back up to the SD card?

It's one of the options. You can also chose to back up to the cloud.
    LG G3 (Shine Gold, Sprint)
    Netgear Zing (hotspot)
    iPad Air
    Galaxy Victory (Husband)
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Dell Lattitude 10 (Win 8)
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post
    It's one of the options. You can also chose to back up to the cloud.
    I tried cloud back up. Its fine, but I have 6000 photos and 100 videos. I left it over night and I'd only gotten 10% of the way thru so gave up on that.

I meant to write to you when you posted this on Friday but I was running out of work and busy over the weekend. I had the same problem as you when I was trying to back up my SD card through my S3 and ended up with no response from my PC to my device. I was trying to move around 53gbs of data so that takes A LONGGGGG TIME!! I think my PC some how messed up the driver for the device when I was trying to move a lot of data for some reason, I'm not sure. I believe the reading speed gets locked up when its dealing with many gigs of data, especially if you're on USB 2.0 ports as well....thats why it hangs on 'Calculating the time it will take'! I went in to the 'devices and printers' option and managed to change the driver to another that grabbed and worked. I did end up using my adapter with the sd card since it moves big files a little bit quicker than from device to PC. I do wish I had USB 3.0 ports on my PC when doing these huge transfers!
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I meant to write to you when you posted this on Friday but I was running out of work and busy over the weekend. I had the same problem as you when I was trying to back up my SD card through my S3 and ended up with no response from my PC to my device. I was trying to move around 53gbs of data so that takes A LONGGGGG TIME!! I think my PC some how messed up the driver for the device when I was trying to move a lot of data for some reason, I'm not sure. I believe the reading speed gets locked up when its dealing with many gigs of data, especially if you're on USB 2.0 ports as well....thats why it hangs on 'Calculating the time it will take'! I went in to the 'devices and printers' option and managed to change the driver to another that grabbed and worked. I did end up using my adapter with the sd card since it moves big files a little bit quicker than from device to PC. I do wish I had USB 3.0 ports on my PC when doing these huge transfers!
    Well I wanted to put a film on my G3 yesterday - it would not transfer from one USB port, so switched to another, and it worked fine.

TBH, I can't remember if I only tried the seemingly faulty port with the whole back-up thing which I initially posted about. I'll try an alternative one when I next do it and post the results.

Well I wanted to put a film on my G3 yesterday - it would not transfer from one USB port, so switched to another, and it worked fine.

TBH, I can't remember if I only tried the seemingly faulty port with the whole back-up thing which I initially posted about. I'll try an alternative one when I next do it and post the results.
    Yeah, faulty ports can/will give you problems so be aware of them. Glad you worked it out.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Yeah, faulty ports can/will give you problems so be aware of them. Glad you worked it out.
    Just an update - Tried all 3 USB ports on my laptop, but got the same error as I do normally. Oddly, I have no such issues on my battered old desktop PC at work...

It's no problem now as I'm just taking my SD card out and backing up direct from that onto my PC, but it's baffling.

Just an update - Tried all 3 USB ports on my laptop, but got the same error as I do normally. Oddly, I have no such issues on my battered old desktop PC at work...

It's no problem now as I'm just taking my SD card out and backing up direct from that onto my PC, but it's baffling.
    If it's all your USB ports but works on another PC, it sounds like a driver issue on the one PC your using and having problems with. I would suggest you try reinstalling the LG G3 drivers on you PC or you could download the LG PC suite software and use that. The drivers are available separately from many sources. Here's a link to a thread on XDA, if you scroll down just a bit there's a link to the drivers. Just be sure to get the correct ones as there is a separate link for Verizon models if you have one of those.
    [Guide] LG G3 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Sto… | LG G3 | XDA Forum
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    If it's all your USB ports but works on another PC, it sounds like a driver issue on the one PC your using and having problems with. I would suggest you try reinstalling the LG G3 drivers on you PC or you could download the LG PC suite software and use that. The drivers are available separately from many sources. Here's a link to a thread on XDA, if you scroll down just a bit there's a link to the drivers. Just be sure to get the correct ones as there is a separate link for Verizon models if you have one of those.
    [Guide] LG G3 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Sto… | LG G3 | XDA Forum
    Thanks. I have tried reinstalling drivers a few times already though. May give it another go sometime, but as the SD card adaptor option works fine (and takes 15 minutes as opposed to an hour plugging the handset in) I'll stick with that for now.

Thanks. I have tried reinstalling drivers a few times already though. May give it another go sometime, but as the SD card adaptor option works fine (and takes 15 minutes as opposed to an hour plugging the handset in) I'll stick with that for now.
    Have you tried uninstalling the drivers first and then reinstalling the drivers? I remember doing this after trying to reinstall the drivers over the existing ones. I don't recall if I uninstalled and then connected the device so that it would search for a driver or just reinstalled them without connecting my device. I'd say give that and try and see what happens. It def is a driver issue!