Which Messaging App?

Markisss88

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Which Messaging App

Just switched from Handcent to Hello SMS and I couldn't be happier.

Hello SMS is simple, intuitive and not another annoying SMS app.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

I've been using Chomp and really like it. I do have an issue with it where it never shows the messages as delivered. I had same thing on my G2, and they fixed it fast. It came back on the G3 and after 2 months it's still not fixed yet.

I've tried Textra which is nice, but I really want an app where I can assign different notifications for different people. I mainly want to know if it's family like my wife or kids. If they need me I'd try to read it and respond faster if I am busy with things.

I've been trying Evolve, but have missed several messages. If I have a text conversation open and put my phone down, it never notifies me again. So unless I keep looking or make sure i exit the conversation it never notifies you of a new message. To me that is a deal breaker since I don't want to have to keep exiting the app. With Chomp I have it set to vibrate on new message when in the conversation.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I tried Evolve and really like it but it would not send pics for some reason. I think maybe I had a setting wrong somewhere?

RSindian

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Nope, just tapped the automatically select apns option then checked ATT Phone option and mms just works for me with no poblems.

just1083

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Evolve SMS or textra are the ones I like best. Nice features while keeping it minimal.

Sent from my LG G3

ILowry82

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I use the stock one because I like the pop up reply implementation. Other 3rd party apps have that feature but I think it works better on the G3 with the stock app.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Does Evolve lag for you when selecting different conversations from the slide out menu? That's my main complaint with it.
I tried pinning the contact list on the side and that works fast, but I then have to start remembering peoples icons.

Evolve SMS or textra are the ones I like best. Nice features while keeping it minimal.

Sent from my LG G3

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

I also agree about the stock app. I need different notifications for different people and the stock app doesn't have that.
Someone once posted there is a setting in the user account for that, but my phone only has different ringtones per user.
Am I missing something?

I use the stock one because I like the pop up reply implementation. Other 3rd party apps have that feature but I think it works better on the G3 with the stock app.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I also agree about the stock app. I need different notifications for different people and the stock app doesn't have that.
Someone once posted there is a setting in the user account for that, but my phone only has different ringtones per user.
Am I missing something?

Using stock messaging app. In answer to your question, I use different tones for different contacts for messaging and different ringtones for different types of contacts as well. These are options in the contact for each person. I have an At&t version so those options may be carrier dependent.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Using stock messaging app. In answer to your question, I use different tones for different contacts for messaging and different ringtones for different types of contacts as well. These are options in the contact for each person. I have an At&t version so those options may be carrier dependent.

It must be carrier dependent. I'm on Verizon and the only option in Contacts is for ringtone, and none for messaging.
It makes me wonder why they would take out something like that.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Evolve is pretty great but was little buggy. Mostly switched to hangouts in anticipation of it being more compatible with android wear watches.

Posted via Android Central App

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I have a T-Mobile G3, and I don't see a seperate text message notification either. I did find it on ChompSMS though. Long hold on the contact's name, then click on notifications.

T-Mobile G3

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

Quick question for people who use hangouts as sms. How do you get hi-res photos for your contacts? All my contact icons look blurry next to the text and I'm looking to change that. None of my friends have google+ so the photos it uses is straight from my contacts.

Posted via the Android Central App