Verizon G3: No "Custom" field for contact info??

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
"Custom" field for contact info??
Discussion in 'LG G3' started by NewGuy23, Today at 11:11 AM.
Today at 11:11 AM #1

Is this normal for Verizon (floor models have same omission)?
I have many contacts with a lot of info that does not fit nicely into the given categories.
ATT/Sprint versions have this option... am I missing something obvious??? (pun intended)

Options?
1) Different contact apps..... seem to default to the same limited list. No custom option.
2) Multiple contacts for the same person with a clue to the differences in the title field? Why should I have to do that?? Flip phones from ten years ago could do this. : (

Any help welcome.

(FYI: new to Android (4.4.2) and Verizon. Not sure I'm up for rooting just yet.)

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the verizon G3, there is no custom field but if you tap on the "add a field" button at the bottom there are several other field options including a notes field. Does that help at all?

spg

Posted via Android Central App

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. :)

Unfortunately, that's not going to do it. Numbers written in those fields aren't immediately dial-able. I could copy and paste them into dialer.... another clunky workaround. AND even if they were dial-able you can't choose/switch out those fields as the go to default in contacts.

Frustrating.
If I can find confirmation that T-Mobile has this option then Verizon is the only one out of the big four where this is missing. Seems like a basic feature to me. Heck, there's an app (Contact Editor) that temporarily reverts Edit mode back to Android 2.1 where this was still an option. ANDROID 2.1!! (I just can't get it to engage.... have an email into the dev).

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Spgiva gave you a solution to your question. Now your question has changed :confused:
Your question now is "Numbers immediately dial-able" , you can go into contacts and add multiple #'s which are dial-able, you can even create a "custom label" if one of the predefined options does not suite you. Also, you can designate any of those #'s as the default #.
I hope this helps.
:)

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Spgiva got me. He/she even stated that they don't have the custom field either and offered the workaround.
And the workaround just won't do it. (what good is a phone number if you can't just tap it ;))

....you can go into contacts and add multiple #'s which are dial-able, you can even create a "custom label" if one of the predefined options does not suite you.

AHA! This is exactly the issue. I do not have this option.
This is the custom label I'm talking about... and need (well.... want really badly). HELP :D

Last edited:

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I apologize for replying three times.
I did not see the moderator approval line and didn't think my posts were going through. Sorry.

edit: well this went right through. Hmmm, maybe it's a reply with quotes thing. Anyway...
So if the other three show up, I've apologized in advance. :)

Last edited:

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So please clarify:
1) When you enter a new phone number in contacts do you get the drop down menu that allows you to label the phone number as Mobile or Home or Office?

2) At the bottom of that drop down menu is there a "custom" field (it is present on my VZW LG G3, I just checked mine to be sure)? When you select that Custom label it should allow you to type in a name for the number.

If this is not present on your phone it sounds like a problem with your specific phone (rather then a problem with the VZW phones in general).

-spg (she by the way)

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
WOW!

1) Yes.

2) Nope. not there. And yes this is what I'm looking for.
Not there when adding new contact. Not there when adding new # to existing contact. Not there when editing an existing # in a contact. My drop down list ends with TTY TDD.

I went to the VZW store and ALL the floor models of the G3 there were missing the custom field. The associate looked at them (and mine) shrugged and just said "Looks like G3 doesn't have that option". Hence the start of my quest.

But you have it!! That's huge information. Thank you spgiva!!

Do you have any suggestions on how to get it to show up? Or am I off to the store to play (oh joy) hardball.

Edit: And thanks Ricky for another confirmation!

Last edited:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So, you are on Verizon and you do not have this feature? If the answer is no, then try in the following order:
1. Clear Cache on Contacts: See if this solves the issue
2. Clear Cache on Contacts Storage: See if this solves the issue
3. Hopefully you have contacts backed up through Google +, if so: App Manager>Contacts>Clear Data (They will repopulate).
See if this solves the issue
4. Clear Cache: Power off Phone>Power Phone on by Holding the volume down & the power button>release the volume down once you see the "LG" logo, continue holding the power button> you will see a screen with a few options> select "wipe cache">let phone power up on its own.
See if this solves the issue
5. Safe Mode: Follow the above but instead choose "Safe Mode">once you are in safe mode back out and restart phone.
see if this solves your issue.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
After reading the above I went into contacts and did not see the custom option - until I scrolled down the list of labels. Then I saw custom as the last choice.

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Ricky . Thanks for the suggestions!
1 & 2 no luck. Have to back up contacts and keep going down the list.
I'm assuming #4 Clear Cache means Wiping Cache Partition? This won't result in any lost setting/info right? (I haven't fully researched yet).

ShinyTop
Yup. That's certainly where it's supposed to be!! Ain't there. :(

Screenshot_resized.png

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Ricky . Thanks for the suggestions!
1 & 2 no luck. Have to back up contacts and keep going down the list.
I'm assuming #4 Clear Cache means Wiping Cache Partition? This won't result in any lost setting/info right? (I haven't fully researched yet).

ShinyTop
Yup. That's certainly where it's supposed to be!! Ain't there. :(

View attachment 133945

NG230
I do notice that your pul down list has several options that mine does not.

Here are screenshots that show my complete list of possible phone labels.
Screenshot_2014-08-26-09-54-16.jpg Screenshot_2014-08-26-09-53-56.jpg

I think I just figured it out. If you are adding a contact to your google contacts the custom option is there. If you are adding a contact to your phone contacts the custom option is not there.

Do you use google contacts or only the "phone cloud" that is selected in your screen shot
When I select the phone option in the top field I have the same list of label options that you have (an no custom option). When I put my contacts into my google account (which is my default) I have the custom option but loose bunch of the standard labels that exist in the "phone" list.

Good luck
-spg

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I AM making progress!!

spgiva
You are correct! As far as I can tell, it's a shortcoming in the VZW cloud storage. They Just don't have a custom label. Weird right?!

Anyway...

Ricky... spgiva (and everybody)
#3 (from your list in post #10) got me halfway there. (btw: this is where my noobness is really going to shine.... :D)
So I backed up to Google > cleared data for Contacts app through application manager.
The list repopulated as you said BUT now I have two entries for each contact.
Even though, when repopulating, the screen showed the message "reading sim card" (or something like that. It went by so quick) I now have a VZW Cloud version AND a Google version (Google version has custom field!!!!! Woohoo!).
If they're on the sim what does the cloud have to do with anything? Do I want to have nothing on the sim?.... And stop the cloud?

In the Applications Manager, right below the Contacts app, there is a Contacts Storage app. Do I clear that of data as well?
And there is a Cloud app. That too? Just asking before I start wiping things out recklessly.

Last edited:

NewGuy230

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm very close now I think. (please still read the post above)

I found the "Contacts to Display" option in settings. Now I just have the Google list showing. Phew.
So I am now in working order. Thank you guys... and gal :D :D

Nagging issue though:
Just because I can't see the Cloud list doesn't mean it's not still doing whatever it's doing in the background.
Should I still be looking into disabling/wiping it?

eSchnervitz

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My old DroidX could accurately read a large VCF file that I create from another database.

My new G3 shows just about every phone number type as "other" when editing and no label when browsing contacts. I have 500 contacts with many having up to 4 numbers, so that's not gonna work for me!

I don't have a google account associated with the phone right now, so the workaround above (choosing where to store contacts) isn't even presented to me as an option. Any other ideas??

Displaying only half the contacts in the phone seems like a recipe for disaster. My old DroidX had a memory leak (accidental or intentional) so deleting contacts did NOT free ANY memory even though they disappeared from the contact list. Moto or Verizon disabled the app memory clear button because that caused crashes.

eSchnervitz

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Update: I added a google account to the phone, re-imported contacts, and assigned them to google.
(from the same archived VCF file I used to update my DroidX last week)

Nope. The custom phone number (and email) name fields show when editing but NOT when browsing contacts.
(screen shots are below - how can I pick the right phone when browsing to dial?)

Is this specific to the G3 or newer version of Android, or what?

custom.jpg

Per Rosengren

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I ended up here searching for the same solution. Then I discovered that the "custom" field is available for my Google contacts, but not for my Exchange contacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21