Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShinyTop
  • 1 Post By fsfty
  • 1 Post By ffejjj
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

I don't own either smartphone but I wanted to know if the G2 is better or not. I've heard quite a few complaints about the G3 and I know that the G2 is a good phone already so I just need advice

Posted via the Android Central App

Default Re: LG G2 vs LG G3

Overall I like the G3 better and I have both.

Both have strong points but G3 wind for sure

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Overall I like the G3 better and I have both.

Both have strong points but G3 wind for sure

Battery?

G2 last longer but not significantly more. A replaceable battery pretty much negates that issue. The ability to take a SD card and the larger screen and the $99 intro price made me buy one. I have the G2 as a backup.
    ffejjj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Geyer View Post
    Battery?

G2 gets the nod for battery life

G2 had just as many complaints as the G3. Try demoing the phone at your local telecom and read up on some of the issues the community has posted. Make a decision and enjoy whatever choice you make.

The G3 is supposed to be the successor to the G3. But the only improvements lg made were in design. Although still plastic, apparently cheap, brittle plastic based on recent reports of cracks in the G3 frame, the G3 design looks more premium. It has a better battery cover although it loses points for trying to fool the public into believing the rear cover of the G3 is metal, when in fact it's plastic with a metal mimicking paint finish. Just like Samsung did with the faux leather battery cover on the Note 3. If you can't use the genuine premium material, don't insult the customers' intelligence. The G3 improved the rear buttons. They're much easier to find and utilize. The G3 screen is a half inch bigger. That's negligible. But it's bigger.
    Unfortunately that's when it all goes down hill. Where the G2 is a battery sipping, buttery smooth operating speed demon, the G3 is beset with a laundry list of bugs, flaws and defects. OP, you already alluded to the complaints you've heard about the G3. No need to rehash them. Just scroll through the threads. Lg just announced a major update for the G2 coming at the end of the year.
    G3 is the pretty girl in school that nobody hangs around with for long because her personality sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    The G3 is supposed to be the successor to the G3. But the only improvements lg made were in design. Although still plastic, apparently cheap, brittle plastic based on recent reports of cracks in the G3 frame, the G3 design looks more premium. It has a better battery cover although it loses points for trying to fool the public into believing the rear cover of the G3 is metal, when in fact it's plastic with a metal mimicking paint finish. Just like Samsung did with the faux leather battery cover on the Note 3. If you can't use the genuine premium material, don't insult the customers' intelligence. The G3 improved the rear buttons. They're much easier to find and utilize. The G3 screen is a half inch bigger. That's negligible. But it's bigger.
    Unfortunately that's when it all goes down hill. Where the G2 is a battery sipping, buttery smooth operating speed demon, the G3 is beset with a laundry list of bugs, flaws and defects. OP, you already alluded to the complaints you've heard about the G3. No need to rehash them. Just scroll through the threads. Lg just announced a major update for the G2 coming at the end of the year.
    G3 is the pretty girl in school that nobody hangs around with for long because her personality sucks.
    This guy needs to get a life...Give it up already. We get it; you hate the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FastKatt likes this.

The G3 has a brushed surface which drastically reduces fingerprints

Removable back cover with sd card

Amazing screen with a very small bezel

Camera that is great in both day and night.

Battery life goes to the G2 but the G3 is no slouch either

I bought my G3 on launch and so far it's been fantastic. Very smooth and very fluid. I'd be hard pressed to find any major issues.

xilol likes this.

Wife has the G2, I have the G3.
    I wanted the removable battery and microSD support.
    The screen is a plus, but I would have bought the G2 had it not been missing a microSD slot.

The G3 is a year newer phone and the successor to the G2, so take that for what you will in terms of hardware longevity and software support (updates). The G2 was a great phone, though it lacked an SD slot and removable battery, which are important to someone like me. Up to you whether that matters or not, but if it does, get the G3.

The G3 is a great phone that's still on its launch software, so things will only get better from here. The only real complaints that seem to come up are some folks who get lag, and battery life isn't quite what you'd expect from 3000mah. Both of those can very likely be fixed with a software update, and to be honest the same thing tends to happen with every Samsung device that comes out. So get the G2 if you think the G3 is a hair too big or expensive, just don't buy the G2 just because you think it has better battery life and performance, as its very unlikely that will remain the case once LG pushes their first major update.

This is LG's 2014 flagship, and you can definitely feel the lessons they've learned from making 2 Nexii. This is the only OEM-customized version of Android I've used that I actually don't mind. I've personally found performance to be great, and battery life is as good or better than my S4. So yes I'd love further improvement in those 2 areas, but honestly I'd like that on any device, no matter how good it already is. Those certainly aren't weak points that are holding it back, however.

Basically, there's a reason all the top Android sites are calling it the best phone of the year so far and recommending you buy it if you're ready for a new device now. Check one out for yourself and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Geyer View Post
    I don't own either smartphone but I wanted to know if the G2 is better or not. I've heard quite a few complaints about the G3 and I know that the G2 is a good phone already so I just need advice
    First... ignore Nreeldeep, he's one of this forums resident trolls/haters.... he'll show up from time to time and complain and rattle off the same old talking points.

Second... There have been complaints about the G3, but there are complaints about every phone out there.... forums like this suffer from selection bias and you end up with a somewhat misleadingly high percentage of complaints. It's like any comments section, people looking to complain will go to far greater lengths than people who are happy. The G3 has its share of defects, but there are a TON of users here (including me) that haven't experienced any headaches.

That being said... the G3 does have features outside of the one that gets all the press (screen)... but there's plenty of other upgrades... better camera, removable battery, SD slot, greatly improved UI, better chassis design and materials, louder speaker, etc. The G2 might last a wee bit longer per charge, but I have zero issues the G3's power usage. And performance from my own personal experience is pretty much the same between the two (uprated processor in the G3 has to contend with that massive screen.) While there are a few isolated spots where I've seen MY G3 lag... such as fast-scrolling through the screens of emoji on the stock LG keyboard (which was the first and probably only time I'd ever see that screen, but still), I've found the G3 fast, responsive and pretty smooth if I have to say so.

Now, I didn't own a G2 (I came from it's little brother, the Nexus 5), but I always admired it and played with it constantly whenever I popped into a mobile phone retailer.... but other than the battery advantage, there wasn't much else about it that made me consider it over my Nexus 5. But it was still a close second and the phone I would otherwise had if not for the Nexus 5. I had no plans to swap the 5 out for a G3, either.... until after it was released and I got a chance to actually use one and get a good look at it.... and I had that little voice in the back of my head for a couple of weeks until I gave in and got a G3.... no regrets.
    Wikh likes this.