Converted from S4 to G3 - struggling with a couple of features...

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just recently converted from my S4 to the G3 2 days ago. First off - LOVE this device - been fortunate enough to not have experienced any of the random complaints thus far regarding overheating, battery consumption or the mysterious crack in near the microphone ports (knock on wood).
But when you've lived in Samsung for 3 generations like me - the ecosystem becomes so second nature.. moving to the G3 required me to have to learn how LG's skin manages things differently.

1. How to have SMS message preview appear in G3 lock screen? I only get a notification that I have a new message. The preview was a helpful feature that I could turn on or off.

2. The 3Gb of ram definately makes a huge difference in performance, but I also want to be able to bring up the task manager and clear the RAM once in a while. I'm OCD like that. On my S4 I would hold the home button down get the task manager and go to RAM to clear. I would like to be able to do it without having to download a 3rd party app but would do so if that's the only way. Wanna just keep my device clean as possible.

Thanks guys for the reply's in advance.

-RT

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome.
1 - I will look into this. Someone else may have this answer.
2 - In Settings, you can go into Smart cleaning to do some of what you want to do.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Mav. :cool:

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. I've had Galaxy S, 2, 3, 4.. There is a lock screen preview. Should be set at default. If not check in setting under lock screen.. And there's only smart cleaning to my knowledge. Not really even remotely close though.

Posted via LG G3.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Golfdriver. I realize it doesn't use the same task manager interface as Windows would, I guess I described it inaccurately. But on my old S4 I could hold down the home key to bring up a series of screens (this is stock) and one of them displayed memory (RAM) usage - with a Clear RAM button beneath it. Basically did the same I guess as some third party apps. But I would see if go from 1.2 GB down to 580 MB once I cleared it. Maybe the G3 just manages it internally better but I would always do it once I began to notice some sluggishness.

Appreciate the reply.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.
1 - I will look into this. Someone else may have this answer.
2 - In Settings, you can go into Smart cleaning to do some of what you want to do.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Mav. :cool:

Thanks Mav, I tried that but it deals more with temp files and download files. I was looking for something that clears background apps that were still running.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean. I've had Galaxy S, 2, 3, 4.. There is a lock screen preview. Should be set at default. If not check in setting under lock screen.. And there's only smart cleaning to my knowledge. Not really even remotely close though.

Posted via LG G3.

So you're getting the message preview in the lock screen? not just a notification that a new message has arrived? This has been a challenge because I became pretty proficient with the Samsung skin and features. But this phone was too awesome to pass up.

jqwz

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Settings/About Phone/Battery/Battery Use

Then scroll down to where the percentage used by different apps is listed and some apps have a stop button next to them.

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Ah. Nah I'm just getting new message. I kinda like it. Privacy factor. But I can understand for some that would want that.

Posted via LG G3.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Settings/About Phone/Battery/Battery Use

Then scroll down to where the percentage used by different apps is listed and some apps have a stop button next to them.

Cool thanks. Wished I could just clear them all but this helps. Wow. the screen is 49% of the battery usage.

sbeil

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Just recently converted from my S4 to the G3 2 days ago. First off - LOVE this device - been fortunate enough to not have experienced any of the random complaints thus far regarding overheating, battery consumption or the mysterious crack in near the microphone ports (knock on wood).
But when you've lived in Samsung for 3 generations like me - the ecosystem becomes so second nature.. moving to the G3 required me to have to learn how LG's skin manages things differently.

1. How to have SMS message preview appear in G3 lock screen? I only get a notification that I have a new message. The preview was a helpful feature that I could turn on or off.

2. The 3Gb of ram definately makes a huge difference in performance, but I also want to be able to bring up the task manager and clear the RAM once in a while. I'm OCD like that. On my S4 I would hold the home button down get the task manager and go to RAM to clear. I would like to be able to do it without having to download a 3rd party app but would do so if that's the only way. Wanna just keep my device clean as possible.

Thanks guys for the reply's in advance.

-RT
Hold down menu button to bring up all apps running in background and click close all ar the bottom. This hurts battery life quite a bit just to foreworn you. Better slide the apps you don't use regularly of off this screen. Sliding them closes them.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hold down menu button to bring up all apps running in background and click close all ar the bottom. This hurts battery life quite a bit just to foreworn you. Better slide the apps you don't use regularly of off this screen. Sliding them closes them.

In an attempt to not sound completely lost.. but on the G3 - where is the menu button on the home screen? There are only the soft keys for Recent Apps, Home, Back and I added the pull down for Notification window.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
In an attempt to not sound completely lost.. but on the G3 - where is the menu button on the home screen? There are only the soft keys for Recent Apps, Home, Back and I added the pull down for Notification window.

This can be added to the G3 navbar using an Xposed Framework module. This requires root, and it will be the best decision you will ever make on the G3. Search G3TweaksBox on Google Play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-11-12-35-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-11-12-35-13.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 16

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You're aware you can just hold the right soft key right?

Yes, but I've changed what holding that down does as well (it now gives me the power menu. I hate using the back buttons and pretty much never do). I got used to a static menu button on my RAZR Maxx and I'm glad it's back.