Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To root or not to root the LG G3?

Just curious what advantage I would see Rooting the G3?
    Never got in to that side of the phone thing.
    The G3 is so nice though, just want to see whats what.
    Love this phone, just so much better than all the previous stuff I've had.
    Anyway, probably a boring post that's been done a few times, yeah I know.
    Thanks.
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by sbeil View Post
    I want to root mine badly but I'm scared off screwing it up and rendering it useless
    Stick to things that are tested and confirmed working with your model (carrier) and you will not be risking anything. Root is simply access to system folders. To start modifying things you're unsure about is where you get into trouble. Like editing a sound file to boost volume when you don't have an appropriate editor, forget to set permissions, and don't READ instructions carefully when you are looking things up.

Just rooting has no adverse effects, and no benefits to you if you don't do anything with it.

Default Re: To root or not to root? Wait, what?

When Android was first released, I was root crazy. Can't tell you how many nights I've stayed up toying around. Anyway, for me, the advantage to root is gone for the most part but I did root my G3 for a few reasons.

The first being Xposed. Here is a cool list of some of the things it can do.

http://geeknizer.com/20-best-must-ha...s-for-android/

If you Google, best Xposed modules. You'll see some really cool stuff.

The second reason I rooted was to use all apps in multi window.

I used the one-click stump root.

I just rooted over the weekend after 3 weeks with the phone. My primary reason for doing so was the G3 tweakbox and it's customization options. Simple process and happy I did.
    Herennow and Casey Kitko like this.

May sounds funny but my main reason to root was to be able to sign a flashlight to the volume button. Lol. The rest off the tweaks are just bonuses for me lol

I'm rooted using stump root very simple my main reason was to get greenify for increased battery

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by areyes163 View Post
    May sounds funny but my main reason to root was to be able to sign a flashlight to the volume button. Lol. The rest off the tweaks are just bonuses for me lol
    Exact same reason I decided to root. Stump root was easy and I love G3 Tweaksbox.

Rooted everything up until my One M7...also left my Note 3 alone.
    I pretty much felt that I didn't need to anymore, phones were pretty much doing what I needed out of the box.
    In this case it was more curiosity....that damn ffejjj, Duncan & xocomaox had some compelling posts that peaked my interest just a little too much...LOL.
    Glad I did it, options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.

I want to root mine badly but I'm scared off screwing it up and rendering it useless

Stick to things that are tested and confirmed working with your model (carrier) and you will not be risking anything. Root is simply access to system folders. To start modifying things you're unsure about is where you get into trouble. Like editing a sound file to boost volume when you don't have an appropriate editor, forget to set permissions, and don't READ instructions carefully when you are looking things up.

Just rooting has no adverse effects, and no benefits to you if you don't do anything with it.

I rooted when i got the phone . Wanted to root cause of apps like better battery stats, etc. I haven't played around with Xposed yet, but its installed on the phone. I need to see what G3TweaksBox can do.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    Rooted everything up until my One M7...also left my Note 3 alone.
    I pretty much felt that I didn't need to anymore, phones were pretty much doing what I needed out of the box.
    In this case it was more curiosity....that damn ffejjj, Duncan & xocomaox had some compelling posts that peaked my interest just a little too much...LOL.
    Glad I did it, options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.
    Haha is that a thank you Bbseatle style lol seriously though I used to be into ROMs also but so far as the bootloader is locked there hasn't been much development.

That said I'm happy with Root & Xposed with G3 tweakbox & a couple of others.

I just like being able to change the Status bar, which credit to Sony they with the Z2 allow this to a certain level.

For me there has been a greater focus on Ui's and customisation to the extent that I probably wouldn't bother with ROMs for the G3..

Glad you took the plunge & your enjoying tweaking a few things to your liking :-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    BBSeattle likes this.

I'd like to delete some ATT bloat and customize some things. Is YouTube the best source for rooting instructions

Yeah, yeah....you're growing on me

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Haha is that a thank you Bbseatle style lol seriously though I used to be into ROMs also but so far as the bootloader is locked there hasn't been much development.

That said I'm happy with Root & Xposed with G3 tweakbox & a couple of others.

I just like being able to change the Status bar, which credit to Sony they with the Z2 allow this to a certain level.

For me there has been a greater focus on Ui's and customisation to the extent that I probably wouldn't bother with ROMs for the G3..

Glad you took the plunge & your enjoying tweaking a few things to your liking :-)

I believe ATT&T accepts Towelroot.
    Go to https://towelroot.com/, download and run. It will tell you if it is compatible.

I'd like to delete some ATT bloat and customize some things. Is YouTube the best source for rooting instructions

There are several methods out. Towelroot and Stump are probably the easiest and yes YouTube is a good source for instructional videos, here's one

Herennow likes this.

Root for tethering and to stop updates.
    I also don't want ads.

It's my phone; now after I rooted.

Really, the main reasons I rooted was to clean up the overly crowded notification bar and to gain "proper" permissions to my SD Card. Everything else is just gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post

I really want to boost the sound on the S5 im not totally sure of how to do. As it seems does anyone know the proper method. Since it's not just as simple as downloading a rooted app

Posted from galaxyS5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bsettz View Post
    I really want to boost the sound on the S5 im not totally sure of how to do. As it seems does anyone know the proper method. Since it's not just as simple as downloading a rooted app

Posted from galaxyS5
    There are two options available one is just adding more steps to the volume and that is available in G3 tweakbox.

Or option two is over at XDA and involves using root explorer to head into your system folder and replace the file with the one downloaded at XDA and changing the permissions.

Or you could have them both.

options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.
    And Xposed is kind of a game-changer... It just gives users amazing access. Modules like GravityBox and G3Tweaksbox give people fully customized roms without having to flash anything.
    BBSeattle likes this.

Duncan,
    Does it actually make it louder or just add more steps to the existing range?

There are two options available one is just adding more steps to the volume and that is available in G3 tweakbox.

Or option two is over at XDA and involves using root explorer to head into your system folder and replace the file with the one downloaded at XDA and changing the permissions.

Or you could have them both.

Duncan,
    Does it actually make it louder or just add more steps to the existing range?
    The G3Tweak simply adds more steps. I enabled this immediately. Does nothing for volume boosting.

The XDA thread he mentioned involves replacing the XML_Mixer file in sys\etc (or editing your original) which will boost both speaker and headphone volume.

BEWARE: The Verizon G3 has some unstable results with touching/replacing this file and should not be tampered with until a stable method arrives.

Good info,, thanks xo.

The G3Tweak simply adds more steps. I enabled this immediately. Does nothing for volume boosting.

The XDA thread he mentioned involves replacing the XML_Mixer file in sys\etc (or editing your original) which will boost both speaker and headphone volume.

BEWARE: The Verizon G3 has some unstable results with touching/replacing this file and should not be tampered with until a stable method arrives.
    Banned

I am using RHA750's and I have noticed a difference in volume using the adding more steps....could be that placebo effect again though....-P

However I will now hearing that it doesn't replace the mixer paths....cheers for the info XO I could have swore there was a difference..lol Dam placebo but I may not as its plenty loud enough as is :-)

Edit..Can I ask what is the point of adding more steps if it doesn't increase volume?

Edit..Can I ask what is the point of adding more steps if it doesn't increase volume?
    Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have 10 different volume levels to choose from or 2 (loud and mute)? With his enabled you can fine-tune the volume much easier.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast