To root or not to root the LG G3?

Herennow

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just curious what advantage I would see Rooting the G3?
Never got in to that side of the phone thing.
The G3 is so nice though, just want to see whats what.
Love this phone, just so much better than all the previous stuff I've had.
Anyway, probably a boring post that's been done a few times, yeah I know.
Thanks.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: To root or not to root? Wait, what?

When Android was first released, I was root crazy. Can't tell you how many nights I've stayed up toying around. Anyway, for me, the advantage to root is gone for the most part but I did root my G3 for a few reasons.

The first being Xposed. Here is a cool list of some of the things it can do.

http://geeknizer.com/20-best-must-have-xposed-modules-for-android/

If you Google, best Xposed modules. You'll see some really cool stuff.

The second reason I rooted was to use all apps in multi window.

I used the one-click stump root.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I just rooted over the weekend after 3 weeks with the phone. My primary reason for doing so was the G3 tweakbox and it's customization options. Simple process and happy I did.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

May sounds funny but my main reason to root was to be able to sign a flashlight to the volume button. Lol. The rest off the tweaks are just bonuses for me lol

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm rooted using stump root very simple my main reason was to get greenify for increased battery

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Frankfan2112

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

May sounds funny but my main reason to root was to be able to sign a flashlight to the volume button. Lol. The rest off the tweaks are just bonuses for me lol
Exact same reason I decided to root. Stump root was easy and I love G3 Tweaksbox.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Rooted everything up until my One M7...also left my Note 3 alone.
I pretty much felt that I didn't need to anymore, phones were pretty much doing what I needed out of the box.
In this case it was more curiosity....that damn ffejjj, Duncan & xocomaox had some compelling posts that peaked my interest just a little too much...LOL.
Glad I did it, options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.

sbeil

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I want to root mine badly but I'm scared off screwing it up and rendering it useless

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I want to root mine badly but I'm scared off screwing it up and rendering it useless

Stick to things that are tested and confirmed working with your model (carrier) and you will not be risking anything. Root is simply access to system folders. To start modifying things you're unsure about is where you get into trouble. Like editing a sound file to boost volume when you don't have an appropriate editor, forget to set permissions, and don't READ instructions carefully when you are looking things up.

Just rooting has no adverse effects, and no benefits to you if you don't do anything with it.

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I rooted when i got the phone :). Wanted to root cause of apps like better battery stats, etc. I haven't played around with Xposed yet, but its installed on the phone. I need to see what G3TweaksBox can do.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Rooted everything up until my One M7...also left my Note 3 alone.
I pretty much felt that I didn't need to anymore, phones were pretty much doing what I needed out of the box.
In this case it was more curiosity....that damn ffejjj, Duncan & xocomaox had some compelling posts that peaked my interest just a little too much...LOL.
Glad I did it, options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.

Haha is that a thank you Bbseatle style lol seriously though I used to be into ROMs also but so far as the bootloader is locked there hasn't been much development.

That said I'm happy with Root & Xposed with G3 tweakbox & a couple of others.

I just like being able to change the Status bar, which credit to Sony they with the Z2 allow this to a certain level.

For me there has been a greater focus on Ui's and customisation to the extent that I probably wouldn't bother with ROMs for the G3..

Glad you took the plunge & your enjoying tweaking a few things to your liking :)

Posted via the Android Central App

sbeil

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I'd like to delete some ATT bloat and customize some things. Is YouTube the best source for rooting instructions

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, yeah....you're growing on me ;)

Haha is that a thank you Bbseatle style lol seriously though I used to be into ROMs also but so far as the bootloader is locked there hasn't been much development.

That said I'm happy with Root & Xposed with G3 tweakbox & a couple of others.

I just like being able to change the Status bar, which credit to Sony they with the Z2 allow this to a certain level.

For me there has been a greater focus on Ui's and customisation to the extent that I probably wouldn't bother with ROMs for the G3..

Glad you took the plunge & your enjoying tweaking a few things to your liking :)

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Root for tethering and to stop updates.
I also don't want ads.

It's my phone; now after I rooted.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Really, the main reasons I rooted was to clean up the overly crowded notification bar and to gain "proper" permissions to my SD Card. Everything else is just gravy.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Stick to things that are tested and confirmed working with your model (carrier) and you will not be risking anything. Root is simply access to system folders. To start modifying things you're unsure about is where you get into trouble. Like editing a sound file to boost volume when you don't have an appropriate editor, forget to set permissions, and don't READ instructions carefully when you are looking things up.

Just rooting has no adverse effects, and no benefits to you if you don't do anything with it.

I really want to boost the sound on the S5 im not totally sure of how to do. As it seems does anyone know the proper method. Since it's not just as simple as downloading a rooted app

Posted from galaxyS5

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I really want to boost the sound on the S5 im not totally sure of how to do. As it seems does anyone know the proper method. Since it's not just as simple as downloading a rooted app

Posted from galaxyS5

There are two options available one is just adding more steps to the volume and that is available in G3 tweakbox.

Or option two is over at XDA and involves using root explorer to head into your system folder and replace the file with the one downloaded at XDA and changing the permissions.

Or you could have them both.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

options once rooted have come a long way and I had no idea about the customization opportunities that were available.

And Xposed is kind of a game-changer... It just gives users amazing access. Modules like GravityBox and G3Tweaksbox give people fully customized roms without having to flash anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12