Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peejay1977
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G3 - One week on

Hey all, haven't been around much due to work but I did spend a lot of time testing the CyanogenMod ROM for the S4 with the automated installer.

Sadly I got bit by the Apple bug and switched from the S4 to the iPhone 5S which I have to confess I loved, especially the camera and the the slow mo feature. However the small screen and the terrible battery life (despite disabling everything I could) made me see my senses again and I'm back to Android.

This will be my 4th Android device, the first 3 being the Nexus 4 + Nexus 10 and then the Galaxy S4 LTE.

Wanted to share my thoughts so far. My G3 was purchased SIM free and unlocked and was updated today to V10h.

The Bad :

• The charging port is terrible, in the sense that it's fiddly to get the charger into, it feels like it goes in at an angle and under a lip so doesn't feel very solid.
    • The buttons on the back, I'm still a little love/hate on them. Sometimes I find them frustrating but also now I know a double tap on the screen will wake it up I don't find that half as much.
    • When pressing the button to show all the running apps it regularly shows no running apps and I have to go back to the home screen a few times and back into it to register.
    • Occasionally very laggy which is clearly not due to the spec of the device.

The Good :

• Design feels lovely and solid, I love it.
    • Camera is outstanding, I know it was one of the highlight features but I was really impressed with it especially as I loved the iPhone camera so much and was a little worried. I still use Camera FV-5 for some shots but generally the stock camera is brilliant.
    • I like (for the most part) what LG have done to the UI, they haven't intruded too much and done the useful stuff and nothing too fancy.
    • Battery life is phenomenal, I use my phone alot and it's been by far the best battery life of any smart phone I've used in a long time.
    • The screen, I wouldn't use the term "wow" but I am very impressed with the vibrancy and sharpness.
    • The Quick Circle case, brilliant idea and very useful (for me).

So far I have rooted it and put the official Circle case on and also installed a few mods but nothing too extravagant. I did however install Titanium and removed the McAfee security which has made a noticeable difference to the speed of the phone. One thing I did notice, after the V10h upgrade today the camera icon on the lock screen suddenly appeared :

LG G3 - One week on-2014-08-25-19.23.23a.png

It wasn't there before and I didn't enable anything, but I'm not complaining

Paul.
    belodion likes this.

Welcome to the G3 forum.
    Now that's a well-balanced review...some good, some bad. Others have noted the awkward USB socket but you eventually get used to it. You'll probably get used to the power button too....I find I prefer it to the button placement on most phones.
    There's no need to apologise for the Apple foray! I like Windows phones but there's nothing wrong with that. Do what you want in life, not what others want.
    Wikh, a member here, may be interested in your experience with running apps....check out his post, it won't be far down.
    Overall, glad you bought, I would guess.

Edit. I also received the v10h update, and like you have the camera icon on the lock screen.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: LG G3 - One week on

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and find it

Nice post; agreed, that damn USB port simply sucks! How's it go, point down, push in, wiggle, wiggle, straighten, push further in...LOL.
    Glad I went to wireless charging!

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    Nice post; agreed, that damn USB port simply sucks! How's it go, point down, push in, wiggle, wiggle, straighten, push further in...LOL.
    Haha its becomes easier, now that I have done it quite a few times lol

But my first couple of attempts went like...try to plug it in, look at the connection on the cable and then phone try again, nope head scratch, try again and yes with a point it down and wiggle and it's in (yes still on about the G3) lol

But valid points although thankfully I only have 1 and its yeh annoying me a bit more as each day passes and I have to live with it grrr.

Posted via the Android Central App

"(yes still on about the G3) lol".....yeah, I was wondering if you went off topic there......he he

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1982 View Post
    Haha its becomes easier, now that I have done it quite a few times lol

But my first couple of attempts went like...try to plug it in, look at the connection on the cable and then phone try again, nope head scratch, try again and yes with a point it down and wiggle and it's in (yes still on about the G3) lol

But valid points although thankfully I only have 1 and its yeh annoying me a bit more as each day passes and I have to live with it grrr.

Feels like being a virgin all over again... 😄😏

Posted via LG G3.

"(yes still on about the G3) lol".....yeah, I was wondering if you went off topic there......he he
    Haha so did I when I read it back, one of those that could be seen a couple of ways, just depends on how one chooses to interpret lol

Quote Originally Posted by xamadeix View Post
    Feels like being a virgin all over again... 😄😏

Posted via LG G3.
    You like a bit of verbal in-your-endo then, xamadeix?

Posted via Android Central App

Lol

Posted via LG G3.