| || |
LG G3 - One week on
Hey all, haven't been around much due to work but I did spend a lot of time testing the CyanogenMod ROM for the S4 with the automated installer.
Sadly I got bit by the Apple bug and switched from the S4 to the iPhone 5S which I have to confess I loved, especially the camera and the the slow mo feature. However the small screen and the terrible battery life (despite disabling everything I could) made me see my senses again and I'm back to Android.
This will be my 4th Android device, the first 3 being the Nexus 4 + Nexus 10 and then the Galaxy S4 LTE.
Wanted to share my thoughts so far. My G3 was purchased SIM free and unlocked and was updated today to V10h.
The Bad :
- The charging port is terrible, in the sense that it's fiddly to get the charger into, it feels like it goes in at an angle and under a lip so doesn't feel very solid.
- The buttons on the back, I'm still a little love/hate on them. Sometimes I find them frustrating but also now I know a double tap on the screen will wake it up I don't find that half as much.
- When pressing the button to show all the running apps it regularly shows no running apps and I have to go back to the home screen a few times and back into it to register.
- Occasionally very laggy which is clearly not due to the spec of the device.
The Good :
- Design feels lovely and solid, I love it.
- Camera is outstanding, I know it was one of the highlight features but I was really impressed with it especially as I loved the iPhone camera so much and was a little worried. I still use Camera FV-5 for some shots but generally the stock camera is brilliant.
- I like (for the most part) what LG have done to the UI, they haven't intruded too much and done the useful stuff and nothing too fancy.
- Battery life is phenomenal, I use my phone alot and it's been by far the best battery life of any smart phone I've used in a long time.
- The screen, I wouldn't use the term "wow" but I am very impressed with the vibrancy and sharpness.
- The Quick Circle case, brilliant idea and very useful (for me).
So far I have rooted it and put the official Circle case on and also installed a few mods but nothing too extravagant. I did however install Titanium and removed the McAfee security which has made a noticeable difference to the speed of the phone. One thing I did notice, after the V10h upgrade today the camera icon on the lock screen suddenly appeared :
It wasn't there before and I didn't enable anything, but I'm not complaining