How do I stop the G3 from connecting to AT&T Wifi

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had my G3 for just over 2 weeks and I'm really enjoying it. I always leave my Wifi, Bluetooth, etc on. The G3 constantly connects to AT&T hotspots even though:

1) I have unchecked the Auto Connect 'Automatically connect to an available AT&T Wi-Fi HotSpot' under the Wifi option
2) I have Disabled and Force Stopped AT&T Hot Spots app
3) I have Disabled and Force Stopped AT&T Smart Wi-Fi

When it does connect to 'attwifi' I try to 'Forget the Network' but it always fails with a message like 'Failed to forget network'.

It's easy for me to turn off my wifi to work around this issue but I would prefer not to do so. I've never experienced this issue with any other AT&T phone I've had. Is there another setting I can disable, etc to prevent my phone from auto connecting to 'attwifi'?

Thanks!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you go Settings, Wifi, menu, Advanced Wifi, have you got Allow Wifi Scanning checked? Might just have something to do with it.

Posted via Android Central App

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have that unchecked. The only thing I have checked on Advanced Wi-Fi is 'Battery saving for Wi-Fi'. I also have Keep Wi-Fi on when screen is off set to Yes but that shouldn't affect it.

Thank you both for providing thoughts on the matter.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the ATT Smart WiFi app installed? Or the hotspot one you mentioned earlier... I know you say that changing the settings doesn't affect them, but have you tried FREEZING the apps?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I saw that you did try disabling them. Hummm...
OK, what about forgetting the ATT hotspot while NOT connected to it?

UPDATE 2: Found this on AT&T's site. Apparently this phone connects automatically to AT&T hotspots, no matter what. Maybe removing the SIM and trying it out so that the HotSpot doesn't recognize the device as an AT&T one? Although if it checks for the MAC address, then that wouldn't help, or if the hotspot name and connection settings are hardcoded into the phone, other than turning WiFi off, there wouldn't be a non-rooted way of doing this :(
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...6cv%3D821%23fbid%3D-4UKog8f5qd&token=ZCdHq7dd

Last edited:

kb9nvh

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
From a post in XDA

For this your phone needs to be rooted and you need Root Explorer from the Market:

1) Open root explorer
2) Tap on "Mount R/W" to mount the file system
3) Navigate to /data/misc/wifi
4) Press and hold on wpa_supplicant.conf and select "Open in Text Editor"
5) Delete the following lines from the file:

network={
ssid="attwifi"
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=1
}

6) Once deleted tap on the 3 dot's in the top right hand corner of the app
7) Tap on "Save and Exit"