Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By aandrew610
  • 1 Post By xamadeix
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default delete Facebook.apk

Simple question. I'm rooted and have root explorer installed. Can I safely delete the Facebook apk and reinstall from the market? Main reason is greenify won't hibernate system apps. I have tried to convert in TiBu but still doesn't work. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: delete Facebook.apk

Facebook is flagged as a system app? Really? Strange. Well, it SHOULD be safe. You could try going into the Play Store, find the Facebook app and if it says INSTALLED, then they are not different versions and it definitely shouldn't be a system app. But if the Play Store version asks you to Install, then the version that came with your phone is different and might have special code to tie it in with phone features.

In any case, you should always create a full backup before messing with stuff anyway, right? Just have one handy and if things go awry, just go back to it.

if you use donate version of greenify you can hibernate facebook. I havent tried deleteing then reinstalling it yet let me know how it goes it shouldnt cause any issues
    BBSeattle and SpookDroid like this.

There's no use having this app as a system app. Remove and reboot.

Global Posts
    12,861 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    There's no use having this app as a system app. Remove and reboot.
    Correct. However, most pre-installed apps come installed on the /system partition so that the user can't delete it. There's a reason why most apps are installed there. For some, such as the social networking ones, it's pointless.

You should be able to remove that safely. Has no use. I was shocked myself that Twitter and Facebook can't be removed.

Posted via the Android Central App
    aandrew610 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I downloaded system app remover from the play store, and uninstalled Facebook. I then reinstalled it and it hibernates now. Must say the app seems pretty decent. It tells you what you shouldn't delete, and has the option to restore.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carrier
    Stock

To anyone who wants to remove or move facebook as a user installed app. Why would you even want facebook anyway? CIA owns that **** and I highly advise anyone to stop using it or create a fake name account.
    Facebook is totally safe to remove once you are rooted since carriers are paid to add facebook and twiter they are not able to be removed.