Is there really lag and battery issues?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, right now I'm really trying to figure what android phone I want to go with (G3, M8,or S5) and I have some questions about the G3.

1. Is there really performance issues with the phone? I hear either that the phones performance is fine or it lags. So I'm wondering if people here have noticed it or if it's been fixed or there has been a fix found?

2. Is the battery life not very good? I hear that the battery life isn't comparable to the S5 or M8. I remember the Nexus 5 having pretty bad battery life, so does the phone have better battery than that phone?

3. Screen quality and overheating. Is there issues with the screen . I've heard there's over sharpening and that the screen causes the phone to possibly overheat. Has anyone noticed this?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
1. Is there really performance issues with the phone? I hear either that the phones performance is fine or it lags. So I'm wondering if people here have noticed it or if it's been fixed or there has been a fix found?
Depends on who answers; I think it's relative to your experience, expectations and needs. I don't think the phone is slow by any means but I find that it is not as "smooth" as my Note 3....but again that is subjective. In short, the phone is plenty fast for me and the things I use it for. Also, I use Nova Launcher so I have no real world experience with the LG Launcher. Also found that the changes I made after root have made the overall experience even more enjoyable.

2. Is the battery life not very good? I hear that the battery life isn't comparable to the S5 or M8. I remember the Nexus 5 having pretty bad battery life, so does the phone have better battery than that phone?
I am finding the battery to be outstanding. The Note 3 is known for it's great battery, I would say that in my experience they are comparable.

3. Screen quality and overheating. Is there issues with the screen . I've heard there's over sharpening and that the screen causes the phone to possibly overheat. Has anyone noticed this?
Screen quality, clarity is very good (but I would probably say the same if it were 1080). Overheating, heard of it, feel bad for those experiencing it but I have yet to see the dreaded warning. I used Nav last week for an hour and a half, phone on the dash and brutally hot day....phone was hot to the touch but never got a warning or a shutdown. Now that being said, there are plenty here that have had run ins with the issue.

So, right now I'm really trying to figure what android phone I want to go with (G3, M8,or S5) and I have some questions about the G3.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had none of these problems.
No lag. Battery life great. Screen clear. No overheating at all and I stay at 100% brightness.

A few concerns have been greatly overblown to make it look like there are problems, but with any mass produced item, a few minor concerns are bound to slip through.

I strongly recommend the G3.

Mav. :cool:

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
There will always be lemons in the patch and because this is a tech support kind of forum then you will always see the worst case scenario. Majority of the devices out there work perfectly and flawlessly.... Like mine. I say take the plunge.

Posted via the Android Central App

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I am on my 3rd week with the phone. Would say the following:

Battery - my phone is notably better now than it was the first few days I had it. Frankly speaking I was worried about it after the first 2 days but it seems to have settled in better. I downloaded the Snapdragon Battery Guru app which I also used on my GNote 3 and it really seems to help. Its supposed to work with the processor.

Screen and overheating: not noted here. I am not a heavy gamer and I know that for some phones with very graphic intense games you get some heating but I have not seen that with the few things I do that would tend to make the phone get hot.

Lag - no more notable that on my GNote 3 really don't see much at all.

I am a big fan of this phone.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i have had my g3 for almost a month ATT version and I havent experienced any of the issues that you are concerned with. The battery life is on par with my old note 3 and the stand by time is even better i have been impressed with the battery, no issues at all with the phone overheating or even lag i wouldnt have any hesitation in buying another g3

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Issues vary by device, these issues are all over this forum, the M8 forum AND the GS5 forum. but playing with one IRL will show you what you really have going on.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes you do see some lag but it's not as bad as I've seen on the s5.

I also only see it sometimes when scrolling quick or when I try to open up my task manager right after I closes an app. But it Isn't such a big deal. You will hardly notice 'lag' when using it normal.

I do have 6h on screen on a regulate base, so wouldn't say it's bad.

The screen is actually amazing. Everything looks crisp and clear and I don't have any issues with it.

I've never had any trouble with overheating and I think I could be described as an heavy user.

Btw you will love this camera over the others. The laser in the phone makes everything amazingly quick

G3

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I think the phone is fast for my needs. Loads apps fast and downloads them fast as well. Only time I have ever hit "lag" is when I go in and out of the multitask to fast, but even then don;t see it being slow. I have played games on it and it never shuddered one bit I even did the crazy look around really fast and it kept up no problem.

I think the battery is great unless I am playing youtube or some other video for 2+ hours I can usually get 15-18 hours with 3-4 hours on screen with no issue. I one time just to see how long the battery would go for I had it off the charger for 34 hours before I hit 7% and used it like normal. Coming from the S3 this is awesome.

Sharpening is there you can see it sometimes and for me very rarely. Usually pops up with certain back grounds and txt and in only a few apps I can count on one hand. Never had it over heat and I have done navigation, gaming, video, and all that jazz with out a problem. Now I know some people have experienced this I just haven't.

All in all I love this phone.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The thing is I'm not interested in rooting the phone. So that's why I was wondering if that's the only way people have found to fix any issues?

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Had mine since launch and none of the above issue have affected me at all in fact just the opposite! The G3 is truly a superior device in my opinion.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, stand by time is ridiculous. I went to rec baseball Sunday at 3:30, I was at 98% (just took it off the charger) did not look at the phone again until after we were done playing at 7:00....it was at 95%!

i have had my g3 for almost a month ATT version and I havent experienced any of the issues that you are concerned with. The battery life is on par with my old note 3 and the stand by time is even better i have been impressed with the battery, no issues at all with the phone overheating or even lag i wouldnt have any hesitation in buying another g3

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
All fair points from all so far...

Performance...

I would say..personally i have no issue's with my use, but others have had various problems here...in terms of scale I would guess small if you look at the bigger picture :)

Battery & overheating....

No issues here as mentioned stand by time is really really good...I usually average 5hrs screen on, but I have achieved 6hrs. As for overheating where I live it never ever gets hot our summers top out at 25° but not always that hot and more often your looking at 15-18° or lower, with all sorts even snow yeh its odd, anyway to the point ambient temperature doesn't effect me but may for you, my phone has never approached hot, and no warnings, I have ran the UHD video for the allocated 5mins and warm around camera and front earpiece but never hot.

Screen is a subjective and touchy point here but its one that I like...if I'm being honest is it better than 1080p well there will be differences figures tell us that, but can our eyes see those...I am using the placebo effect and say there is..but my honesty would have to say its not leaps and bounds better, but still great and I really like it...

I would recommend it, but go in to a retail outlet and have a look and get that bigger picture painted.

Good luck with you choice and enjoy whatever one you opt for.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have none of the problems that a lot of people have reported... sure, it isn't the smoothest phone in the world, but I haven't experienced anything that I would classify as lag in my day to day usage. Heat-wise, I'm not the best source since I've undervolted the thing a good 100mv and that'll cool things down anyhow.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Lag. At first I did but it went away after Nova Prime and it really performed after switching the runtime to ART.

Battery. It's good not great again I think it's because of the 2K display. I remember last year the Note 3 was amazing but the G2 killed it easily. My S5 had better battery life.

Over heating. If you read my post on the thread it was my fault. Other than that I haven't had any issues with it.

tapatalk LG pro D852

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

1) I think most people will agree that the phone is just not as snappy as the M8. I wouldn't go so much as to call it a lag since it's only like a .05 sec delay, but if you compare the G3 with the M8 then you'll see the M8 be a tad faster. HTC definitely focused on performance in Sense 6 and also keep in mind that the G3 is pushing a boat load of pixels.

2) Battery life. Is. Freaking. Amazing. I don't know what else to say but I'm a heavy user and nothing I've thrown at this phone made it die on me. I usually get about 5hrs of screen time and can go about 24 hours on a single charge. I have 100% when I wake up around 9am and come back home around 10pm or midnight with about 20-30%.

3) I haven't had any overheating issues but I do notice over sharpening here and there. I'm not sure if it's because I corrected my color contrast but it doesn't seem to be as noticeable as some people make it out to be. I edit photos a lot so I know what oversharpening looks like but I have to look really, really hard to notice it on the phone.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not rooted and have had all 3 of those devices plus my wife has note 3. I think while not a perfect phone it is clearly the best of them all

Posted via Android Central App