Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xocomaox
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lock Screen Notifications - Light up screen??

Hi,
    I am brand new to android (from iphone) and am just wondering is there any option to turn on notifications on my lock screen so that when I receive texts or missed calls or even bbm messages or other apps my screen actually lights up?? Previously on iPhone it would always light up on any notification I had so I am aware of it..on the G3 I can wear a sound or vibrate if on that mode, but the no light up makes it really difficult and annoying for me to be able to know exactly when I get a message or alert. I am thinking there has to be an option however I have not been able to find it...my friends on the galaxy S5 have the option to also so maybe its just a G3 thing??

Default Re: Lock Screen Notifications - Light up screen??

Welcome to Android Central! There are a number of apps on the Play Store that can help. Try DynamicNotifications or SMS WakeUp.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

so there is no option just on the phone itself? i have to download an app to do that??

Probably. Having the screen light up for notifications is not a native function of Android (it's not an option on Nexus devices, which run what is essentially unaltered Android). Maybe some manufacturers' customized Android UI might have this option built-in, but keep in mind that the basic Android OS is not meant to be all things to all people. That's why there is a robust app store with over a million apps, and you can find almost anything you might need for your preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by whackg View Post
    so there is no option just on the phone itself? i have to download an app to do that??
    Depends if you want to root or not.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)

Currently, no.... you'd need either an app or a custom ROM.... Near as I can figure it, OEMs might be a little reluctant to add things like this in order to avoid any kind of patent issues with Motorola... who added 'Active Display' lockscreen notifications to the Moto X.... Now, with Android L, maybe that changes and lockscreen stuff like that comes in the base OS. But it's not baked into KitKat (Android 4.4)

Keep in mind that Apple controls everything.. device, OS... Where Android has a lot of different moving parts and Google (who control Android) has to play ball a little bit with their device OEMs (like Samsung, Motorola, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Currently, no.... you'd need either an app or a custom ROM.... Near as I can figure it, OEMs might be a little reluctant to add things like this in order to avoid any kind of patent issues with Motorola... who added 'Active Display' lockscreen notifications to the Moto X.... Now, with Android L, maybe that changes and lockscreen stuff like that comes in the base OS. But it's not baked into KitKat (Android 4.4)

Keep in mind that Apple controls everything.. device, OS... Where Android has a lot of different moving parts and Google (who control Android) has to play ball a little bit with their device OEMs (like Samsung, Motorola, etc).
    This is good and bad.

You might be used to Apple and their iOS, but if you can try and look at Android like this:

It's a platform to run apps. All the functions of Android are just a collection of apps. Making calls, surfing the web, looking up contacts, plating music, browsing apps... They are all apps inside the OS that is very customizable. Apple is quite proprietary and they have a different approach on it.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Yeah, Google made Android lean and efficient and a canvas to make it your own. That's why the OEM customizations annoy people because they have to replace, rather than just add, customizations