ART runtime on model D855 works well

Punyawee Werasopon

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm using LG G3 model D855 (UK model) bought from an operator in Thailand (Truemove-H). It runs on Dalvik as a default setting. I change to ART runtime. Now it's lag-free. Obviously better and smoother and I entered the hidden menu to switch off the "Fast Dormancy mode" to disable. and then the battery life is fantastic long lasting... From a week ago, there's no freeze or wake locked...

I think the ART experience may depend on the model variation. D855 works well

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Awesome :D
I've been using it on my phone as well, and haven't had any issues either. Some users on here seem to have a lot of apps crashing though, so it clearly still needs to be more widely adopted.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I can handle if apps were crashing... but hard freezes requiring the battery to be pulled... after my third one in a few days, that was enough for me to switch and havent had an issue since. I will revisit it when they release an OS update... When L comes out you wont have a choice anyways so hopefully it's all sorted out by then.

Awesome :D
I've been using it on my phone as well, and haven't had any issues either. Some users on here seem to have a lot of apps crashing though, so it clearly still needs to be more widely adopted.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I can handle if apps were crashing... but hard freezes requiring the battery to be pulled... after my third one in a few days, that was enough for me to switch and havent had an issue since. I will revisit it when they release an OS update... When L comes out you wont have a choice anyways so hopefully it's all sorted out by then.

Yeah, I'm sure they will. Hadn't seen anyone have freezing. How often did it happen?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I was ok with ART ever since I had the phone for a month+ I think... factory reset, ART, remove bloat, etc... but one eve some app got updated and it was a silly one (forgot) and the next morning... hard freeze. and then two more the next two days and that was enough for me. (did try uninstalling apps and didnt work). Factory reset and have been ok since.

There are other ART threads in past and one or two I believe mentioned battery pull locks too. I never ran the phone without ART before that but I don't think the battery usage is much greater without ART... maybe a hair... and not experiencing a noticeable difference in usage... no real lag. But I think ART was a tad better when it was working.

Yeah, I'm sure they will. Hadn't seen anyone have freezing. How often did it happen?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was ok with ART ever since I had the phone for a month+ I think... factory reset, ART, remove bloat, etc... but one eve some app got updated and it was a silly one (forgot) and the next morning... hard freeze. and then two more the next two days and that was enough for me. (did try uninstalling apps and didnt work). Factory reset and have been ok since.

There are other ART threads in past and one or two I believe mentioned battery pull locks too. I never ran the phone without ART before that but I don't think the battery usage is much greater without ART... maybe a hair... and not experiencing a noticeable difference in usage... no real lag. But I think ART was a tad better when it was working.

Ouch. Not sure if it's just that the apps I use are well supported for ART, or if you just had bad luck. I've had apps crash, but even then I'm not sure if it's ART related because they crashed on Dalvik as well.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah freezing of the device and lag heavy during moderate use is enough to take me away from art at the time. Hopefully when the new Android os drops it will fix this issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

oil_slick

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Also to confirm, ART is running smoothly with International D855 and I haven't noticed any glitches. I did notice the screen flick to black after uninstalling some apps, which hadn't happened with Dalvik.

Update Edit: I admittedly had a placebo effect. I have realised that my phone is being forced by Xposed Framework to remain on Dalvik. Every time I selected ART it reboots back into Dalvik and after some reading found that Xposed on my rooted G3 is unable to run on ART so effectively blocks it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2