Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint LG G3: No Internet Connection While On a Call?

Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere or something, but when I'm on a call, my internet connection drops.

Am I just simple? Never had this issue with other phones....

Posted via the Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

If you're on Sprint then that is why. All their new "tri-band" phones won't do mobile data and voice at the same time unless on WiFi. Once Sprint has VoLTE then it will work as well .. but that is going to be a good while before Sprint talks about that.

ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: No Internet Connection While On a Call?

What carrier are you on? Some carriers don't support simultaneous voice and data.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Sprint? One or the other on Sprint

ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by sbeil View Post
    Sprint? One or the other on Sprint
    Edit: Apparently Verizon added another radio to avoid that. My bad
    Last edited by UJ95x; 08-29-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

If you're on Sprint then that is why. All their new "tri-band" phones won't do mobile data and voice at the same time unless on WiFi. Once Sprint has VoLTE then it will work as well .. but that is going to be a good while before Sprint talks about that.
    UJ95x likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I AM on Sprint. Oh, this is BS. Their service just keeps getting worse and worse.

Thanks for the info, guys!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Sytsma View Post
    I AM on Sprint. Oh, this is BS. Their service just keeps getting worse and worse.

It's always been this way.

Yeah their slogan is "how low can we go?"
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)

I left Sprint long agobecause they just kept getting worse. Calling while surfing works fine on T-Mobile.

T-Mobile G3

No problem on AT&T

You get what you pay for when these companies advertise about how their plans are you have to ask at what expense?

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    No it hasn't. My wife's S4 and my N3 can do both.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

My brother is on Sprint and always complains about the service. I've been trying to get him to leave and join T-mobile but he refuse cus he's being stubborn again. If you leave Sprint and join T-mobile, they'll pay your ETF in terms of credit but you gotta give up your phone too and buy one of theirs.

Default No Internet Connection While On a Call?

I remember seeing a commercial from AT&T a few years ago making a big deal about how you can use data while in a call.

I couldn't believe it. How much cheaper is Sprint exactly that they can't allow this? It's sad that we're in 2014 and this still isn't standard.

CMIIW but even our cheapest carrier Wind allow this.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Coming from a Galaxy S3 (Sprint). Single band LTE allowed me to use voice & data at the same time. Now on the G3, having Tri-Band LTE, I cannot do the same. Is it a big deal? NOPE! I personally do not care about that. A few seconds, minutes or whatever time speaking on the phone, I do not use data very often. The network in my location is awesome. Friends of mine previously on Sprint jumped to T-Mobile and now... They're trying to come back to Sprint. T-Mobile to them has been very bad with their service inside and outside our locations. Funny to see back then comparing service connection for mobile reception, my old S3 had full bars and their Z1 had nothing underground in SF.
    I'm a nerd that can squat 500lbs... seriously

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    It hasn't.. On a few phones (like the S3, S4, Note, etc.) Sprint did what Verizon did and put in two radios.. That way you could use mobile data and voice at the same time... With the new tri-band phones they didn't do this.. And that's why customers can't do much unless on wifi or once Sprint rolls out VoLTE.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by evoldroid View Post
    No problem on AT&T

AT&T and T-Moblie run on the GSM standard.. That radio can do Voice and data at the same time. CDMA can only do Voice.. Or data... Not both at the same time. That is why they're having issues.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I can't do data and voice on Verizon either. Don't know why I would try surfing the net and talking on my cellphone anyway! Sprint actually had a better LTE signal here than Verizon! Hate Verizon and T mobile had only 3g here

Unfortunately with Sprint you get what you pay for

I can do voice and data on my verizon when I'm on 4G mode

I'm on Rogers in Canada and they throttle the data connection down to nothing when you make a voice call, so it's basically useless. Kind of lame, but not a huge deal since I would rarely have need of data while I'm talking on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    AT&T and T-Moblie run on the GSM standard.. That radio can do Voice and data at the same time. CDMA can only do Voice.. Or data... Not both at the same time. That is why they're having issues.
    Yes that's correct. CDMA can't do both at the same time. When Sprint was using wimax for 4G it could handle both at the same time because it was using two different radios. Verizon was the same way, which is why AT&T used to run those adds about it years ago. I think the first phone Verizon had that was able to do both was the HTC Thunderbolt. Qualcom built the radio differently in order to get it to work.