Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kide#WN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default AT&T QuickCircle PMA case stopped charging

Hi,
    Just want to share my experience.
    Have my G3 since day one, but only got the QuickCircle PMA case about a week ago. It worked fine with the dual Duracell Powermat until this morning. The phone was charging last night, but today the charger doesn't recognize the case anymore. I tried battery removal and phone reset with no luck. The PMA charging plate still works with other Powermat accessories.
    I tried another QuickCircle case with no success. The phone still charges fine over USB port.
    Here is a "fun" part. I called AT&T tech support. Long story short, they refused to warranty replace the phone, because "it was damaged by the accessory that didn't originally come with the phone", even if AT&T sold this official LG case.

I search online and found several posts about the similar issue with PMA case.

So, everyone with the AT&T QuickCircle case, be aware. I hope your phones will last longer with PMA chargers.
    Last edited by kide#WN; 08-29-2014 at 11:45 PM.

I guarantee your case still works fine. Your phone is the problem. I'm on phone #2 now, having to switch out the first one because of this very issue. Thought it was the case, as well, but when I switched phones, the case worked just fine.

Unfortunately for me, I'm already experiencing the same issue on phone #2, I'm just too lazy to swap it out again. Both phones seemed to have lasted just about 2 weeks for me, before wireless charging went out.

Posted via the Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Re: AT&T QuickCircle PMA case stopped charging

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMento View Post
    I guarantee your case still works fine. Your phone is the problem. I'm on phone #2 now, having to switch out the first one because of this very issue. Thought it was the case, as well, but when I switched phones, the case worked just fine.

Unfortunately for me, I'm already experiencing the same issue on phone #2, I'm just too lazy to swap it out again. Both phones seemed to have lasted just about 2 weeks for me, before wireless charging went out.

Thanks for confirmation JaiMento. Yes, I know that the case is working (it is just a coil)
    and the phone is damaged. Did you get a replacement from AT$T or LG? I don't want to go through the replacement process too, just to get the same issue again.
    AT&T really screwed this phone, first by selecting PMA over Qi, second by not testing it long enough and third by not supporting their own product.
    They need to recall this phone.
    frope01 likes this.

I got my replacement from Best Buy. I was still within 14 days. I also made sure that when I exchanged it, I got their Geek Squad service on the new phone, cause I had a feeling it would happen again.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kide#WN View Post
    Hi,
    Just want to share my experience.
    Have my G3 since day one, but only got the QuickCircle PMA case about a week ago. It worked fine with the dual Duracell Powermat until this morning. The phone was charging last night, but today the charger doesn't recognize the case anymore. I tried battery removal and phone reset with no luck. The PMA charging plate still works with other Powermat accessories.
    I tried another QuickCircle case with no success. The phone still charges fine over USB port.
    Here is a "fun" part. I called AT&T tech support. Long story short, they refused to warranty replace the phone, because "it was damaged by the accessory that didn't originally come with the phone", even if AT&T sold this official LG case.

I search online and found several posts about the similar issue with PMA case.

So, everyone with the AT&T QuickCircle case, be aware. I hope your phones will last longer with PMA chargers.
    Where did you get your powermat?

Sent via Tapatalk on my LG G3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I got my replacement from Best Buy. I was still within 14 days. I also made sure that when I exchanged it, I got their Geek Squad service on the new phone, cause I had a feeling it would happen again.

Well, good. At least you are covered now.
    I talked with LG support. They don't have in their database any records about the PMA charging issues. Or they are covering it up, or the retailers don't provide enough information about the damaged phones.

To flotto. I got my Powermat charger from Amazon and the case from AT&T.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flotto View Post
    Where did you get your powermat?

Sent via Tapatalk on my LG G3
    From Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

PMA Charging Behavior - Pg. 6 | ATT LG G3 | XDA Forum

Looks like AT&T really pooched the wireless charging on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    PMA Charging Behavior - Pg. 6 | ATT LG G3 | XDA Forum

Looks like AT&T really pooched the wireless charging on this thing.
    So irritating. T-Mobile is looking better and better.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I can guarantee that AT&T will never admit this problem.

I am also experiencing this issue now. Suddenly my phone will not charge wireless. So you're saying somehow the case damaged the phone, would it have only damaged the wireless charging pins/portion or would there be other detrimental affects?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitoman5 View Post
    I am also experiencing this issue now. Suddenly my phone will not charge wireless. So you're saying somehow the case damaged the phone, would it have only damaged the wireless charging pins/portion or would there be other detrimental affects?
    I'm not saying the case is causing the wireless charging of the phone to stop working. I'm just saying for some reason, it keeps ceasing to work for me and the phone is what stops working.

Also, as far as I can tell, everything else seems to function fine. Even the NFC still works. Only wireless charging has stopped working.

I'm not saying the case is causing the wireless charging of the phone to stop working. I'm just saying for some reason, it keeps ceasing to work for me and the phone is what stops working.

Also, as far as I can tell, everything else seems to function fine. Even the NFC still works. Only wireless charging has stopped working.

I'm just so disappointed in this. I'll try to contact LG about this since I'm outside my 14 day return window with At&t.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Got some updates.
    Yesterday I noticed this post. So I called AT&T again. This time I got a better luck and the tech support lady agreed on warranty phone replacement. First, she told me the same story that AT&T doesn't cover damages from the accessories, but I convinced her that the phone itself is an issue, not the case. At the same time she could not verify over remote diagnostic the error code, mentioned in XDA post. Also she told me that they do not have any logs about this issue.
    I hope that the replacement phone will be in good shape (refurb). I will not use PMA charging until the possible update will be released.

I have been unsuccessful in getting AT&T to do anything yet. I have to prove to them it isn't the charging plate or the case. I hope to do that today since they didn't have the replacement items in stock yesterday.

Looks as if LG screwed the pooch in regards to wireless charging with the UK Qi wireless charging version as well. AT&T didn't help with their insistance on PMA, but the UK wireless charging thread of this forum acknowledges a similar problem with wireless charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    Looks as if LG screwed the pooch in regards to wireless charging with the UK Qi wireless charging version as well. AT&T didn't help with their insistance on PMA, but the UK wireless charging thread of this forum acknowledges a similar problem with wireless charging.
    Damn, that sucks. I didn't even know there was a thread regarding the UK version. Looks like this is an LG issue overall.

Disappointing overall considering the great job LG did with the Nexus 5. I'm waiting to see what the nexus x/6 will be about & moto x+1. I really like the G3 but this is a deal breaker. I really like wireless charging.

I should have my replacement tomorrow. I'll have to see how long it works.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Got the refurbished phone yesterday. It has a scratch on the laser auto focusing lens. Didn't power it yet. Thinking to send it back and keep the original phone.

Update: The refurb is definitely going back. I powered it up and see why someone had returned it. The display is very yellow and dimmer compare to my phone at the same brightness.
    I guess no wireless charging for me.
    Last edited by kide#WN; 09-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

I transplanted the sticker to my G3 back plate and after about a month of working (as well as PMA will work at least, QI so much better is an understatement) sometimes the Duracell Powermatt just turns off and stops charging. At first I thought it was the phones connection to the matt but many times now when I pick the phone up and readjust it will not charge no matter what I do.

This is the important indicator that it's the powermatt to me. If I unplug the power source to the matt and plug it back in, the charging will immediately resume with no issues. Thoughts?

It's not crazy, after all PMA is highly not utilized meaning it's untested as NO ONE uses it. After all Duracell is the only company with a powermatt plate available and it's totally garbage.

It's not the powermats. My same powermats worked flawlessly with my Lumia 1520. My powermats worked perfectly fine with my original G3, as we'll, until wireless charging stopped working completely. Then they worked flawlessly with my second G3, until it stopped working and the only thing I changed the first time was the phone. Same powermats, same wireless charging case. And yeah, the powermats never broke the wireless charging on my L1520.

Little off topic maybe, but does anyone know why AT&T insists on NOT supporting Qi charging?

It's the same thing in Canada. I'm with Rogers, and my variation of the G3 also does not support Qi charging (and this goes for all 3 major Canadian carriers - none support Qi).

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

They got paid a lot of money to join the PMA, and now we all suffer. That's pretty much it.