G3 vs DSLR

bishang

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
When it comes down to it, it's still a phone camera. I don't know of any beauty gurus who have quality videos from a cell phone camera.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
DSLRs have larger lenses, apertures and sensors... They'll always take better pictures and videos as a result... Unless it's a total piece of junk.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be a smart*** but you have a Rebel t5i and can't tell the difference? If you can't, then I guess it doesn't matter.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
OP: Pay no attention to them...the G3 will produce far higher quality videos than the Canon SLR easily and effortlessly any day of the week, if you smear axle grease on the Canon's lens first.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ha! Axle grease if it's an Apple product; gear oil for Android.....:)

OP: Pay no attention to them...the G3 will produce far higher quality videos than the Canon SLR easily and effortlessly any day of the week, if you smear axle grease on the Canon's lens first.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The added word "want" changes the entire complexity of your query....
Get the t5i, it is a much better camera/video recorder than any phone could hope to be.
But I understand your husband not wanting to spend the money as well........:)

I WANT the rebel t5i but my husband swears up and down that my phone will do the job better

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, all now becomes clear. There we were thinking you must be some sort of i.d.i.o.t. to ask such a thing. Your husband will not be pleased with us for our answers, but we've only given our honest and unbiased opinions!😇

dankydanky

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I purposely asked on here to show him that i was right. (dslr better than g3) and he still thinks the g3 is better

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I purposely asked on here to show him that i was right. (dslr better than g3) and he still thinks the g3 is better

No, he doesn't... he just doesn't want to drop the cash on the DSLR. :) Deny, deny.... don't change your story and own it. :)

It's a simple matter of optics. Cameras are all about light. The more light, the better the picture. That Canon has a sensor size of 25.1 x 16.7 mm... the Sony-sourced sensor in the G3 is 4.8 x 3.6mm... meaning that the Canon's sensor has nearly 20 times the area to soak in photons.

I forget the site that had it, but they did a straight up comparison where they pitted the best cameras in phones against a consumer DSLR... they used a professional photographer to take the same pictures... the difference in quality was amazing. It wasn't that phone cameras couldn't take decent pics... many were quite good, but the increased level of detail and richness in the DSLR pics was pretty striking. You had to zoom WAAAAAAAY in on the DSLR pics before you started to get noise and pixelization.... the phone camera's quality broke down fairly quickly.... and the gap between them widened even faster the darker the subject matter got.

So your husband can claim anything he wants, but he's wrong.

dankydanky

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
He doesnt care about the cash. He wants me to get the new panasonic g4. I simply asked for the rebel t5i. Not something that costs almost 2k and thats not including the lens.

twiifm

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Panasonic GH4 is great. But what do you plan to shoot? It's best if you plan around your project. Like for YouTube vlogs 1080p. A lot of cameras can handle this. Still, you need to care about sound and workflow. You can use the phone as a B camera but not good idea as A camera

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
He doesnt care about the cash. He wants me to get the new panasonic g4. I simply asked for the rebel t5i. Not something that costs almost 2k and thats not including the lens.

OH.... he's going the OTHER way! He wants the more expensive camera, so he's crapping on the Canon.

That Rebel still takes better pictures than the G3.