Best way to unroot LG G3?

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I rooted my LG G3 AT&T phone using towelroot and modified nothing. Is there an easy way to reverse the process? I realized I need the phone to be unrooted to use the phone for enterprise purposes unfortunately (sucks, all i wanted was stock android). Any quick advice as there is alot of information out there and it's hard to find which would be the least intrusive in terms of perhaps now having to re-download everything seeing as I haven't changed anything yet.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I see a temp reroot option on superuser. Works but not an actual unroot.

Might have to flash a blank one on there I guess and reinstall everything. Oh well.

Posted via Android Central App

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There are some apps that check for root. If found will not run. Unfortunately I have to use one as well.

Well, that sucks... if a company was that concerned over it, they shouldn't be trying to implement a BYOD (unless they aren't and these are company issued devices). For my personal device, if this was the case, I'd tell my work I'd rather not have it setup for work use.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK so to the original poster's question. What's the easiest way to unroot? Should you prepare some sort of backup before rooting?

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
OK so to the original poster's question. What's the easiest way to unroot? Should you prepare some sort of backup before rooting?

Well, you could use the Full unroot (cleanup for permanent unroot) option of SuperSU or backup what you want and use LG Flash Tool (if you don't think SuperSU is actually fully unrooting the phone).

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Now that my phone is rooted though, can I make a back up and then say flash the at&t ROM and restore or will that bring back the root. I really won't loose much anyway. I have everything in the cloud I switch phones often ha. Haven't done this root thing much though, upset my company monitors it but I should have thought of it sooner.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, that sucks... if a company was that concerned over it, they shouldn't be trying to implement a BYOD (unless they aren't and these are company issued devices). For my personal device, if this was the case, I'd tell my work I'd rather not have it setup for work use.
The BYOD initiative saves companies tons and tons of money. The benefit here is that with MobileIron and similar apps, they lock down the phone so tight and allow the company to track location and wipe the phone at their discretion. It is worry-free and cost effective for the company. Sucks for the user, however.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Using the LG Tool will restore the phone back to stock with bloatware minus Carrier IQ (CIQ) it will not keep root, however if superuser is installed as a system app and then a factory reset from the phone will keep root but it will also not restore any bloatware you have deleted.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
The BYOD initiative saves companies tons and tons of money. The benefit here is that with MobileIron and similar apps, they lock down the phone so tight and allow the company to track location and wipe the phone at their discretion. It is worry-free and cost effective for the company. Sucks for the user, however.

I know and I agree in regards to the security and cost effectiveness. I'm just saying, if a company wants to use a BYOD and implement something like that, I'd tell them I'd rather not set my device up for work use.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
So if I use the LG flash tool and unroot the device with the stock AT&T rom, is there a way to make a back up now so I don't have to reinstall everything? It's not the end of the world if I have to, but can't hurt to check. I didn't make one right before it was really stupid, but I don't really have anything valuable to lose.

BTW everyone, from what I am reading the app is Good For Enterprise which is known to be extremely difficult to hide root, it has multiple layers of checks that detect root and disable access.

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I know and I agree in regards to the security and cost effectiveness. I'm just saying, if a company wants to use a BYOD and implement something like that, I'd tell them I'd rather not set my device up for work use.

It's actually my choice to have a BYOD, I don't have to have access, but I choose to (I like to be connected on the go). At a certain point they require a device and then they just give you one etc in the more traditional sense. Just to end this squabble with the proper details ha.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
It's actually my choice to have a BYOD, I don't have to have access, but I choose to (I like to be connected on the go). At a certain point they require a device and then they just give you one etc in the more traditional sense. Just to end this squabble with the proper details ha.

It wasn't really a squabble. I was just providing conversation in the form of my opinion on the whole BYOD thing. Anyway, thanks for the additional information.

Good luck with the unrooting, if you haven't done so already...

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
HA yea i get you no worries. In process of unrooting now, phone is stuck on the download mode "Fimrware Update" Screeen. Says 0% at bottom I guess i have to wait for this to finish?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
HA yea i get you no worries. In process of unrooting now, phone is stuck on the download mode "Fimrware Update" Screeen. Says 0% at bottom I guess i have to wait for this to finish?

You'll be waiting until dooms day it sits and does nothing. Just start the flash :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Neibl

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
yea I did, I keep getting an error. Using step by step I found on XDA forumns. Think I need to try something else. Other people seemed to be getting similar errors.

Update: NVM I got the flash to work, now to see if my back ups worked.

Thanks for input and help everyone, perhaps one day i'll be able to explore rooting more. Probably will just get a Nexus 6 or Moto x+1 eventually to have fun with.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX