Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 to G3

Upgrading from a S3 to G3 this month. What can I expect? Currently have VZW S3. Nova Prime launcher and unrooted.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: S3 to G3

Expect a better phone but it only gets better with root.
    Thanked by 2:
    tardus likes this.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Wow. It's gonna be a world of difference. I'm proud of you for sticking with one device for such a long time. I couldn't do it. Anyways... You'll see and feel the difference instantly

Sent from my VS985 4G
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
    Thanked by:

Coming from the S3 to the G3 would be like instantly stepping in from the 1920's to the year now 2014....OK maybe slight exaggeration lol

But Screen you will notice...for the better..

Camera you'll be very pleasantly surprised..

The Design & Build...

That's all your getting just leave the rest to your unboxing.

Oh and enjoy :-)

Posted via the Android Central App

I came from the s3 to the g3 also... It's a world of a difference. You won't regret it

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

I came from the S3 as well loved that phone, but this phone is so much more. It took about a day to get used to not having the home button to turn on the phone but the knock on is so much nicer. one thing to do is to put your S3 away for a least a week and don't touch it . Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.

Pro tip : If you use Nova Prime download screen off and lock from the play store. That way you get a the goodness of Nova plus keeping the knock screen off.
    Thanked by 3:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I can't wait to try it. I keep a phone through a two year contract. Was and still am very satisfied with my S3.

Ricky Babalu likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by bsannes View Post
    I came from the S3 as well loved that phone, but this phone is so much more. It took about a day to get used to not having the home button to turn on the phone but the knock on is so much nicer. one thing to do is to put your S3 away for a least a week and don't touch it . Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.

Pro tip : If you use Nova Prime download screen off and lock from the play store. That way you get a the goodness of Nova plus keeping the knock screen off.
    What's it called? Link?

AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    What's it called? Link?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenofflock

53N7 9R0M M4 G3
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
    Thanked by 2:

Well seeing as you just got off a phone that is two generations behind the new one you will be coming from bronze to platinum... It is a great upgrade for anyone and even me when I had the DROID MAXX
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)

Upgrading from a S3 to G3 this month. What can I expect? Currently have VZW S3. Nova Prime launcher and unrooted.
    Well, I'm guessing that you'll notice two things first.... a) the screen is ha-YUGE... and b) the phone doesn't feel that much bigger than the S3, especially if you had a case. It's a marvel in compact design... even though the screen is 3/4 of an inch larger, it's only a smidge wider. Though, I will suggest you utilize the G3's ability to add buttons to the navigation bar and add the button to expand the notification window... Saves you from having to reach all the way up there (which WILL seem like a long way coming from the S3).
    Thanked by:

I also came from Sprint Galaxy S3. Having the G3 one week early from the release date was awesome! The phone is much bigger, I love the screen colors! Other people always "cry" about it being washed out or something related. I prefer the more natural colors other then super saturated colors. And the battery life! Oh goodness! It's really great. I'm sure you'll have an awesome time with the phone. Took me about an hour to get use to the rear buttons. Forgot to mention the camera on the G3 is beastly! Really great!
    I'm a nerd that can squat 500lbs... seriously

Like everyone else said it's a giant step up from the s3. I would recommend if you buy it in store tell them to leave it in the box. I find the unboxing to be one of my favorite parts of getting a new phone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bsannes View Post
    Then go back and compare it and you say omg that phone is small lol.
    So true, lol! The other day, I was going through my drawer looking for something and came across my beloved S3.... I shed a tear and thought to myself, "Damn, this thing is small!!", lol!

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    So true, lol! The other day, I was going through my drawer looking for something and came across my beloved S3.... I shed a tear and thought to myself, "Damn, this thing is small!!", lol!
    But I'll say this.... The S3 was a great phone that had a lot of life in it. Probably one of the early ones to get released that wasn't obsolete within months of its release. There are still tons of people out there rocking S3s and it can still get the job done, especially if you load a custom KK ROM (if you didn't get snookered into taking that lockdown JB update). I always look at the S3's release as Android's watershed moment where we saw the first widely available, high quality device paired with the first really mature version of Android (ICS). It is of no surprise that its release caused Apple to crap its collective pantaloons and take the Android platform seriously. Samsung did a bang up job with that phone, so much that the resulting S models were received with somewhat subdued fanfare.

Granted, the G3 kind of kicks sand in its face and takes its girlfriend, but to be honest, there's actually a lot of S3-ness in the G3. I remember holding one for the first time and thinking that for such a huge screen (4.7" was massive at the time), it was surprisingly comfortable in the hand.
    Rick Bell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    But I'll say this.... The S3 was a great phone that had a lot of life in it. Probably one of the early ones to get released that wasn't obsolete within months of its release. There are still tons of people out there rocking S3s and it can still get the job done, especially if you load a custom KK ROM (if you didn't get snookered into taking that lockdown JB update). I always look at the S3's release as Android's watershed moment where we saw the first widely available, high quality device paired with the first really mature version of Android (ICS). It is of no surprise that its release caused Apple to crap its collective pantaloons and take the Android platform seriously. Samsung did a bang up job with that phone, so much that the resulting S models were received with somewhat subdued fanfare.

Granted, the G3 kind of kicks sand in its face and takes its girlfriend, but to be honest, there's actually a lot of S3-ness in the G3. I remember holding one for the first time and thinking that for such a huge screen (4.7" was massive at the time), it was surprisingly comfortable in the hand.
    I agree, the S3 was a great phone! I didn't get suckered into the JB update with Knox thankfully so I rooted (earlier than usual for me!) and believe it or not....my experience wasn't so pleasant. You gain certain things when you root but other things become faulty or broken. Thats the way of life with rooting. Constantly looking for fixes and updates to things that would otherwise be working right with stock. I've rooted all of my past devices but as we go forward with a much more 'mature' Android OS, I don't feel the need to root my devices as much as I did way back then. I only now root my device toward the end of its life cycle...for me, thats usually close to the 2 year mark, lol! I'm hoping that by then, there will be some very good, stable roms for the G3 that will be worthy of daily use!

Way better speeds,screen,camera(which rocks) and battery life. I would throw OS in as well,due to the extra uneeded items that touchwiz throws in the OS. The button setup was something I was worried about at first. But after I had the phone awhile I realized that I hardly even used them. I use them maybe 1 out 10 times. Still wasn't hard to get used to by no means. Great pic for a new phone tho. I gave the wife my HTC M8 and thought I would miss it. I only miss the speakers on front. I'm very happy with my pic. Lg has a great OS and build quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

couldn't have said it better myself. I also upgraded from my VZW S3 to a VZW G3. I still have my S3 with me (i kept the phone through the upgrade period and almost for 2 years as well). Its actually technically my second S3 (this one is a replacement phone) and it came from Verizon without the JB update so i could root it and unlock the bootloader.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

What's it called? Link?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenofflock
    Thanked by:

Made the same switch recently. Very happy with the G3, the only exception being that the S3 displayed metadata on my car stereo when bluetooth streaming (after Kitkat upgrade), and the G3 is spotty on that.

Mine boots up to the home screen 15 seconds faster than the S3. No more hitting side buttons accidentally like hitting volume when you try to use the standby button on the opposite side. Only thing I miss is the S3 using an extended battery, but I am hoping an extended battery or battery case is in the works for the G3. Man that S3 battery life was doubled with the bigger battery. Whereas others look down on an extended battery because it adds thickness and weight, I love them because it still beats the brick analog cell phones I used to carry around by a mile.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I also went from VZW S3 to G3. I used nova prime on the S3 and it was slightly laggy compared to touchwiz. Nova on the G3 is super smooth and smoother than the stock LG launcher.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Had the g3 for 3 weeks now and love this phone. So fast and the battery lasts me all day with heavy internet use and moderate calls. The learning curve is very good. Love everything about this phone. Immediately put a Spigen slim armor and Zagg screen protector on it. Coming from a S3 this phone is awesome. Miss my Milk music and voice answer but, oh well. This will last me thru my contract better than the S3 did I think.

Posted from my VZW LG G3

Well, I'm guessing that you'll notice two things first.... a) the screen is ha-YUGE... and b) the phone doesn't feel that much bigger than the S3, especially if you had a case. It's a marvel in compact design... even though the screen is 3/4 of an inch larger, it's only a smidge wider. Though, I will suggest you utilize the G3's ability to add buttons to the navigation bar and add the button to expand the notification window... Saves you from having to reach all the way up there (which WILL seem like a long way coming from the S3).
    I did the same VZW S3 to G3 swap last Thursday night. When I first saw the measurements of the G3 I didn't know if I wanted anything that big or not but I dropped by the Verizon store one night a few weeks ago just to see one in person and immediately thought "well it's not really that big". Then the other night while the Verizon person was swapping everything over and I had both of them sitting in front of me, I put the G3 on top of the S3 and there's really not that much overall difference between them.

Now I will say that Friday was the first time I carried the G3 in my blue jeans pocket and the G3 does feel bigger.

I have to find another case with a kickstand for the G3 because the one I got from Verizon has a slick feel to it and the kickstand is very hard to unlock. Other than that so far I'm pretty happy.

Wow so many ex-S3 owners. I too came from an S3. I had it for two years (VZW) and loved it. Flashed it a thousand times and dropped it about as many. It always had a case on it, so no harm. I finally dropped it caseless, and of course the screen cracked a bit. I had just stormed out of a Verizon store and hadn't had a chance to put my case back on. I'd intended to keep the phone because verizon wouldn't waive the upgrade, or the activation fee. I've been with them for 10+ years. So yes I do have a sense of entitlement.

Anyway, I ordered a G3 from Best Buy, and dodged the activation fee. Also, the phone was 50.00 cheaper at BB. Love the phone. Hate that the bootloader is yet to be unlocked. I knew this going in, but to me, this was the best out there for me. The camera is amazing! It's the best camera I've used since my HTC Thunderbolt. I enjoyed that phone too.

Steve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast