Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Strange Group Messaging Issue

I love group MMS on this phone, but I've encountered one strange issue. When sending a group text message (stock app), there are a few people in my group whose responses come in as blank texts and it's always the same 3 people. I can text them individually with no problem, it's only coming in blank in a group MMS. I just realized that the one thing these 3 people have in common is that they all have HTC phones (two have the HTC One M8 and one has the M7). I'm on Sprint, and they are on Verizon, if that matters.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks

Default Re: Strange Group Messaging Issue

Quote Originally Posted by oldrtyfrog View Post
    I love group MMS on this phone, but I've encountered one strange issue. When sending a group text message (stock app), there are a few people in my group whose responses come in as blank texts and it's always the same 3 people. I can text them individually with no problem, it's only coming in blank in a group MMS. I just realized that the one thing these 3 people have in common is that they all have HTC phones (two have the HTC One M8 and one has the M7). I'm on Sprint, and they are on Verizon, if that matters.

Thanks
    I used to have this/a similar issue with a buddy of mine, who also happened to be on Verizon, both when he had some Droid and also when he got his M8. This was when I was on my Nokia Lumia 1520 with AT&T. Stopped happening when I got my G3.

Whenever he would initiate a group MMS, his texts always came as a blank bubble. I would even see all the replies from the other people involved in the group MMS, but his would all be blank bubbles. He could then text me individually and it would work fine. However, if he didn't initiate the group MMS, but is still involved in it, I would then be able to see his texts. To add to the observations, if his girlfriend sent a group MMS with me in it, it would work just fine and they were both on the same family plan. She was using a GS4, I believe.

My guess... actually, I don't have a really good guess as to what is happening. I have, however, read a bunch of other forum posts across the web detailing a very similar/the same situation and the one common denominator in every situation seemed to be .... Verizon.

I also noticed that I have a contact that my MMS refuses to send things to...but SMS is no problem. When I try to compose a MMS to her, it reformats her number to be something that the messenger doesn't recognize. So I have to text her individually (cause it works in that case) or it won't send. I know this is unrelated, but it's something else I noticed about the native app and MMS.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrtyfrog View Post

Thanks
    Just a thought. Your friends with their HTC phones, is the software updated to whichever version started group text messaging? If so, sometimes its set as Multimedia Message. Do they have that box checked? That's the only thing I could think of.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by HULKchampion View Post
    Just a thought. Your friends with their HTC phones, is the software updated to whichever version started group text messaging? If so, sometimes its set as Multimedia Message. Do they have that box checked? That's the only thing I could think of.
    I will check that , thanks.