2 year phone

metrix

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Planning on buying a new phone in the next few weeks and the G3 is at the top of my list. However, the one question that seems to hold me back is: Is this a phone to keep for 2 years? I, like a sizable amount of the public, will be buying their next phone on contract and I think that this is the one question that never gets touched on in reviews. My current phone is an iPhone 4s. I've had it 2 and a half years and it's only begun to get long in the tooth. Previously, I had the HTC Evo 4g and somewhere around 18 months, I wanted to throw the thing out the window. It was a great phone but it just got stale.

So my question to you all is, would you keep this phone for 2 years?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It would be amazing if you were able to keep it for 2 years. It's a very nice device. Battery life is simply insane. Coming from me... I change devices ALL too often. But I believe it's a 2 year device

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Without the slightest shadow of doubt, my experience has been positive.

The screen is great just don't expect over saturation its more natural tone.

Speed and responsiveness is great for me..no lag or hanging apps or crashes thus far.

Camera is spot on for the most part and trumps some in lowlight (although no smartphone excels here). Laser autofocus was good thinking from Lg and I believe the idea came from a hoover.

Design is most certainly one of the better ones on market right now.

Build yes its plastic but feels great in hand and doesn't feel cheap, but rather pleasing with the slight curve :)

The Ui is nicely designed and has great customisation.

So yes I would be happy to keep for two years although I suspect the G4 may pull me away lol

Only Time will tell...

But its a great phone and if you decide to purchase you won't be disappointed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Not many phones these days will stand up to the 2 year contract. But it really depends how much YOU like something, and what your priorities are. For tech junkies, there's new phones coming out now every couple of months it seems so being at the top of the curve after 2 years will be an impossible feat. Every phone today is going to be stale after 2 years.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Not many phones these days will stand up to the 2 year contract. But it really depends how much YOU like something, and what your priorities are. For tech junkies, there's new phones coming out now every couple of months it seems so being at the top of the curve after 2 years will be an impossible feat. Every phone today is going to be stale after 2 years.

This and it doesn't help that if the phone was popular, a new one replaces it in about year. That always makes you feel that you have an outdated phone. I'm starting to feel that way with my Moto X with an announcement of it's replacement around the corner.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Kept my S3 for two years and am getting ready to change it for either a G3 or Moto X2. I keep mine thru the contract. I have been very satisfied with my S3 and hope my next phone choice will be as good.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Kept my S3 for two years and am getting ready to change it for either a G3 or Moto X2. I keep mine thru the contract. I have been very satisfied with my S3 and hope my next phone choice will be as good.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

I've loved my S3 for 2+ years as well. I'm AR, so it still looks new even. The performance is still spectacular, and comparing it to my trial G3 is one of the reasons I returned the G3.

The G3 is a nice device, but I really don't see it being satisfactory for a two year haul. If I had kept it, I could already tell I'd need to upgrade no later than a year. If it had the 805, probably could have kept it... but it doesn't.

Posted via Android Central App

nodzarf

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a S3 for 2 years on Verizon. Came to T-Mobile and got the G3. I know I can hang with the G3 easily for 2 years after doing that with the S3.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this 100%. I had my Note 2 for 2 years and, as much as I loved it (and thanks to my nephew screwing up the upgrade schedule on our family plan), I was so hard pressed to get rid of it that I did what I said I'd never do and paid full off contract price for this G3. I love my G3 and I already want the Note 4 so I can love that too. Too bad I can't justify a second line or I'd have it. That 2 year thing is a carrier created time period that they feel is a fair amount of time bleed money from our pockets. Two years on one device for a gadget freak is a prison sentence. I see myself paying off contract from here on out.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this 100%. I had my Note 2 for 2 years and, as much as I loved it (and thanks to my nephew screwing up the upgrade schedule on our family plan), I was so hard pressed to get rid of it that I did what I said I'd never do and paid full off contract price for this G3. I love my G3 and I already want the Note 4 so I can love that too. Too bad I can't justify a second line or I'd have it. That 2 year thing is a carrier created time period that they feel is a fair amount of time bleed money from our pockets. Two years on one device for a gadget freak is a prison sentence. I see myself paying off contract from here on out.

It's the device-change thing I don't like. All my three phones were bought unlocked and I can't imagine I'd ever want to part with any of them. No.4 is probably round the corner. I was going to say, just because a new device with better specs than the one you've got is on the horizon, doesn't mean you've got to buy it....but then I realised that's EXACTLY what I did do with the G3.
If you buy your devices unlocked, somehow you can sort of forget about the money you paid because it's behind you, and consider buying yet another device.
Also, I've worked out that, for me at least, buying unlocked and using pay-as-you-go is cheaper.

What would be extremely useful would be to have more than one device, all using the same number. Technically possible I believe, but not done....though I think in the Netherlands...?

Posted via Android Central App

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I had my S3 for 2 years + , and I see me having this phone for another 2 years. I've seen the new phones and besides the 805 if only for the better battery life it will supposedly get ,I like my phone more . at first I was like man my S3 is just as fast as the G3 until I really started using it then you could tell the difference. It really comes down to how you use the phone and how it feels. You will want to switch to a different phone if you don't like the way the phone feels in your hand no matter how fast it is, well at least that is how I was.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a S3 for 2 years on Verizon. Came to T-Mobile and got the G3. I know I can hang with the G3 easily for 2 years after doing that with the S3.

Came here for this.... The S III is now over 2 years on the market and there are a ton of people still using it as they are locked into the phone by their carrier's update policies (Verizon, for instance). If I hadn't of switched to T-Mobile in January, I'd still be 'stuck' with mine. But even though it's now over 2 years old, that S3 can still get the job done.

So with that in mind, I have no doubts that anyone with a G3 could get a good couple of years out of the phone if they choose to do so.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Such a subjective question, there is no one answer.
Will the phone physically be able to last 2 years? Who knows, it's only been a few months.
Will the "tech" hold up? Again subjective but for me no. But if you held on to a S3 for this long in spite of the tech advances.....a G3 should keep you just as happy for the same time frame.
I think most phones today are far more capable than most people use them for. But who knows what must have new "tech" is around the corner.
If something groundbreaking emerges, than no the G3 may not have the hardware, etc. to accommodate.
I have not had a phone longer than 6 months in the past 4 or 5 years.......don't see that trend changing.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, hard to say what we'll see in the next 2 years. I am hoping for a stun ray, transporter capabilities....something along those lines :)

Something groundbreaking in the software field? Chances are, probably not. More likely to be just gimmicks and tricks created from what already exists.