LG G3 sharpening

Oluwadare Oyadiji

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
So in another thread I said I traded in my Samsung S5 for a G3 and was happy with what I got. Then I remembered a review that I saw from Erica Griffin talking about the display and battery life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-T5rLjhNVA

I have also seen other complaints about the sharpening on the internet as well

It kind of got to me that maybe the sharpening on the G3 is a bit too much, maybe causing words displayed on screen sometimes to appear grainy. I do not if my anxiety is genuine or not because I had noticed nothing wrong with the display before I purchased the G3. I am fine with the battery life and love the fact that you can add lots of screens for widgets just like on the G2 and this is something that you do not get as much on the S5.

I hope I will not regret my purchase of the G3 and that I will get used to the display for reading because the video quality on the phone is and was exceptional when I played preloaded videos from the gallery.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've also read about people complaining of this "text sharpening" issue. I cannot seem to understand or view this issue on my phone, or the phones at the store. I wish there was a reference photo so we could see what they are complaining about.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to think I could sometimes see a faint white sharpening artefact or halo around thin black letters on a light ground, such as the list of Forum categories on this site. I've been using the device for so long now I'm not sure I do still see them, but whatever, any effect is slight and I don't find troublesome. I remember a review of Erica Griffin's....she definitely did not like the sharpening.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I've see a few spots where the text was sharpened a bit too much.... mostly light text on darker backgrounds, but it wasn't systemic or constant or anything of the sort. But if you used an app heavily that DID have some sharpening issues, then I could see why you'd get pretty annoyed....but.... I don't see any of that on most everything I use. I know that mine looks pretty good and everyone who has picked it up and looked at all say "Wow...nice screen".

The "Your phone sucks, my phone rulez" FUD is getting increasingly noisy here lately... maybe now that everyone is putting out really good phones, everyone's nitpicking, creating problems where there are none and spending too much time parroting opinions (ex: Erica Griffen says the display sucks, so the display sucks). Mobile phones are, by nature, personal devices....That video posts data that shows how it is oversaturated, but I can a place that'll tell you the exact opposite, that the G3's colors are more natural than most and are far from oversaturated.... so two conflicting conclusions.... who's right?

Who cares?! What do YOU think? Ignore those click-baiting nimwits on Youtube.... how do you like it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(^^^Couldn't agree more, I don't need someone to tell me what to like or dislike, I can decide that for myself.)

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't happen often. Even when it did it was no big deal to me. Another subjective issue.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
All the screen critics convinced me that it was a deal breaker but I ended up buying the phone anyways. No regrets yet I'm afraid. I don't even think about any of it nowadays. Very happy with my choice.

I like Erica Griffin but she's about as critical as it can get. In the end it's probably not as bad as it sounds. The phone is wildly popular.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
That video is crazy. Does she actually say that anything under 60% brightness is not useable? LOL

90% of my time with the G3 is indoors, and I have a hard time having the brightness above 30%. I find it kind of insane to say that anything under 60% is not useable...

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Using the default wallpaper, I can see the screen sharpening on the LG launcher home screen text. However, with the same wallpaper in Nova, I don't see the sharpening at all. Could it just be the launcher that makes it more prevalent?

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Using the default wallpaper, I can see the screen sharpening on the LG launcher home screen text. However, with the same wallpaper in Nova, I don't see the sharpening at all. Could it just be the launcher that makes it more prevalent?

Interesting observation. From the get go I always felt the wallpapers and demo videos were a little tweaked, perhaps even overly sharpened themselves. Maybe that has an effect.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
All the screen critics convinced me that it was a deal breaker but I ended up buying the phone anyways. No regrets yet I'm afraid. I don't even think about any of it nowadays. Very happy with my choice.

I like Erica Griffin but she's about as critical as it can get. In the end it's probably not as bad as it sounds. The phone is wildly popular.

My experience too. Erica's comments on screen-sharpening were one of the factors that made me hesitate to buy when the G3 was becoming available. When I first encountered one lit up and working in a store, I saw that any sharpening effect was (for me at least) so minor as to be no reason at all not to buy.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That video is crazy. Does she actually say that anything under 60% brightness is not useable? LOL

90% of my time with the G3 is indoors, and I have a hard time having the brightness above 30%. I find it kind of insane to say that anything under 60% is not useable...

Yes, I believe she does, or something like....I remember she had it set very high. I'm certainly not watching it again to find out, because now, no need for me to check G3 reviews. Like you I find the brighter settings indoors tend to hurt the eyes, and I use about 25-30% for text etc.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I believe she does, or something like....I remember she had it set very high. I'm certainly not watching it again to find out, because now, no need for me to check G3 reviews. Like you I find the brighter settings indoors tend to hurt the eyes, and I use about 25-30% for text etc.

Folks you can watch reviews and while its all good to get the pro's & cons these will vary from one tech reviewer to another. This is called personal opinions strange we all have them. However some like to go bahhh and follow the masses, while others stand fast and use their OWN opinion.

I watched reviews of course I always do but its just to get the general idea of said device. I then use my own mind to determine whether I want to purchase or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(Excuse me Oluwadare, I don't want to take off-topic, but perhaps I could append a G3 review of my own for people who can't decide for themselves:

THE G3 IS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD.

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to add that pixel peeping will amplify any situation. For situations where the sharpening is more evident, it's not noticeable once u take the phone a step back. This could be very well reason why some people haven't noticed it at all. Ymmv eyesight/age also :p

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

This statement from her completely negates any other visual criticism she has to offer for me, as I regularly use my G3 under the 60% brightness mark. If one cannot see correctly (or generally see things the way I do), then their opinion is irrelevant on anything requiring visual inspection.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Erica Griffin was over the top imo in that review. If you're that concerned - maybe you should sell your G3 and try another S5 or an M8. Or a Z3.
I've been unable to see the "defects" that Erica Griffin "discovered." I'm close to 100% satisfied with my G3. The screen is fine for my needs and I love being able to use it outdoors when needed, unlike my last phone, an S3.
But maybe she's right about the display and sharpening. Perhaps some people it's relevant, but I suspect not many.

Last edited:

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've also read about people complaining of this "text sharpening" issue. I cannot seem to understand or view this issue on my phone, or the phones at the store. I wish there was a reference photo so we could see what they are complaining about.
Look at the search results in this phone. If actually hurts my eyes a little
b0ee4b693e849d0cdb4e1f970b59a196.jpg

Never mind, the phone doesn't capture it. Open google search results, click on the address bar and hide the keyboard, you should see it in the the greyed out search results

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12